New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Texas...

Texas police kill eighth-grader carrying pellet gun | syracuse.com

Of course one does have to wonder why they make these pellet guns so damn realistic looking... in this case the kid had a Umarex SA 177 - which is a full size Glock replica. The cops aren't going to know the difference - and they did their job. I can't imagine what they're going through right now though, even though they were justified.

·
I kill deer... and I like it
1,336 Posts
Didn't Charles Darwin conduct a study on this type of activity? He visited an island and found that every bird which pointed a Glock replica at authorities got shot, but those birds who didn't point Glock replicas at police survived? Yeah I'm pretty sure it was something along those lines.

·
Occupy NYF JBT Tank Operator
2,322 Posts
Typical syrcom douchebaggery in the comment section

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Typical syrcom douchebaggery in the comment section
What, you mean like this "intelligent" comment...

"I am not understanding why the 8th grader could have been shot ONLY ONCE BY ONE COP....why did 2 cops shoot the boy??? And why not somewhere less likely to kill the kid, why not shoot him in the foot, he would have fallen, probably dropped the gun, no lets shoot a eight grader to KILL him....wow, guess I won't go to Texas any time soon..........just saying..."

·
Occupy NYF JBT Tank Operator
2,322 Posts
Yeah, pretty much. Give it another day, it'll get waaaaaaaaaay worse.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Dude. Seriously. I'm from Canastota and when Zophy and Barton were forced to shoot that kid last summer...the comments were ridiculous on all the news articles. I remember one guy went as far to say that they should have "used binoculars" to identify the gun before they shot at the guy....typical idiots....

·
Registered
380 Posts
The real issue is that all pellet/air soft guns sold in the US are supposed to have an orange tip. They showed a picture of the kids gun and it didn't have one at all. He either cut it off or obtained it in a way that might have been illegal. That tip is there for exactly this type of circumstance.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
One of the reviews is "looks just like a Glock!"

Fake guns are supposed to have an orange tip. BB guns ( in my experience) have never had a colored tip on them and shouldn't need it. You are supposed to be 18 in NY to purchase an airgun and because they are coming in such high velocities now, i'm pretty sure on the DEC website, they even allow some hunting with them.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Quick, now make another "All Airsoft/BB guns need to be clear now" law! :/

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
So if we make a law that all BB guns need to have an orange tip to stop things like this from happening...then any criminal can take their real gun and paint an orange tip on it and shoot cops before they realize it's not a BB gun?

How about everyone starts thinking with some common sense, and then apply that common sense to scenarios like this. If you don't want to die....put down the gun.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
An 8th grader SHOULD know better. As tragic as this situation is for the family, that 8th grader was likely not headed for a bright future. Any kid over 5 yrs old should know to never point any type of gun at a LEO, or anyone else for that matter. Zero common sense by 15, chances are good that he would've had zero common sense by 30.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Tough for the officers involved. It almost sounds like suicide by police. I have a hard time believing anyone at that age would not know the end result of pointing a gun (BB or not) at officers. If I even pointed a cap gun at my friends when I was a kid my Dad would have made sure it never happened again!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Unless you've lived in/near Texas and thier schools system, saying 'an 8th grader should know better' is an invalid argument.
Comparatively speaking, or at least in the not too distant past, an 8th grader in Tx had the education level of a 6th grader here.
(which was better than Louisiana where one took an immediate 3 to 4 grade drop when moving from thier school system to the NY school system)

A child that age should definitely have known better, yes, but to say 8th grader, mabe not so much.
I've seen far to may 22 year old high school seniors to be convinced otherwise.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
and isn't 15 a little old for 8th grade? Hell I was 17 when I graduated
I thought the same thing but didn't want to offend anyone. LOL. I was 15 in 10th grade. Just think, he was eligible for a learner's permit (at least in NYS) 1 year later. To say that he shouldn't have had more common sense at 15 (unless he was mentally handicapped)...I disagree there.

Cause and effect should and can be branded into a kid's mind at a very young age. I don't hold back on my 2 yr old - if he's running through the house, trips over his toys, and face plants into the floor, I don't take the route most parents take, feeling guilty for not picking up the toys myself, blaming the world for all the problems, or telling him that it wasn't his fault he tripped. At 2 yrs old, he already has a decent enough comprehension to understand when I tell him that he (A) shouldn't run wildly through the house and (B) needs to pick up his toys and put them away when he's not playing with them, not leave them scattered about the living room. It works well, because the following days he took the suggestion to heart, picked up his toys, and did not run through the house. Now he does it routinely.

There are countless other examples I could go through. The point is, kids need to learn individual responsibility from DAY 1, and be held accountable for their actions at an early age, or you're begging for trouble later in life.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.