New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please accept me! :'(

So yeah, Apple's iPhone 6 event is a STUNNING disappointment to me so far. I said specifically "It had better not be just a different shape and a little faster."

So yeah, considering a Galaxy S5. Any tips for someone really considering the switch now? Any general phones or things to consider?

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
BB Z30.. Enjoy a more secure system that doesn't promote you as a product AND you can run android apps under the BB10 OS NATIVELY (if you want to)

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^Let's be realistic.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
^^Let's be realistic.
I have a BB Z10.. you couldn't pry it out of my hands. I owned 3 droids.. traded one in and the other two I gave to my kids for toys.

What's the worst that can happen in the store trying it out? you don't buy it and you walk home with a product that owns you (Android) ?

P.S. You couldn't pay me enough to run with a BB OS7 device.. BB10.3 is awesome! (Z10,Z30)

QNX RTOS FTW.

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
I'm not going to try and convince you. I don't think I need to do one thing on my Galaxy phone that I couldn't with the iPhone, except for one exception. I run an extended battery because I'm addicted to Clash of Clans and it kills my battery.

That said, I do have it rooted so I can do screen recordings and run some other software.
The Amazon Free App of the Day is pretty cool. Most of the apps are useless to me, but there have been some good ones. (They may have this for iOS, but I have no idea).

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's the little things I noticed. I've handled Android phones for a grand total of less than 1 hour, and I thought in the other direction. There isn't much it can't do that the iPhone can. I told myself "I want to see what they do with iPhone 6." Blow me away! And I got...this.

For example, my iPhone 5...I can't cut it with 16GB. It simply is not enough for me anymore. No problem right? The next iPhone will increase that. AND THEY RELEASE THIS ONE WITH 16GB. No way in hell I'm paying $100 for 48GB. Totally unacceptable at this time in tech.

...and I see they just announced a watch. I'll take my Seamaster, you keep the change.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought the iPhone 6 was going to sport 128GB internal (No extended slot)?
If you are willing to pay $200 extra!

X_x

I can't even put a quick movie on mine. No space!

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
im not a tech guru, but i have the s5 and i really like it... i bought one for my wife too. it takes great pictures, and vids... its fast, and it has a very nice screen... the rear facing speaking is a tad weak imo, but its not a deal breaker. it has a much better battery than my previous S3. i play alot of clash of clans on mine, and most of my browing and posting is done on it too. it does what i need. what do you want out of the phone?

·
5,143 Posts
It's the little things I noticed. I've handled Android phones for a grand total of less than 1 hour, and I thought in the other direction. There isn't much it can't do that the iPhone can. I told myself "I want to see what they do with iPhone 6." Blow me away! And I got...this.
I feel the same way about the Galaxy s5. I have the s3 with my contract expiring in a month or two. The s5 gets me almost nothing over my s3. I'll probably keep my phone and not upgrade. It will be the first time I haven't immediately upgraded in about 12 years.

I don't know what the iPhone can do that my s3 can't. Really, most phones are pretty similar now. Being able to throw a microSD card in a phone is HUGE and there is no good reason any phone is designed without that ability. 16GB of space is ridiculous. They could quadruple that amount for a few bucks and make people happy.

My wife just got a new HTC Desire. I'm definitely not impressed with the camera. My 2 year old s3 takes better low light pictures. We haven't tried in higher light yet. I'd stay away from it though as the display isn't the greatest either.

If I were to pick a phone right now, I'd probably go with the newest moto X. I haven't done a ton of research on it though. All I really need to do is take decent pictures, VPN to work, run an SSH tunnel, and play some basic games.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
If you are willing to pay $200 extra!

X_x

I can't even put a quick movie on mine. No space!
I have 16GB and it can support another 64GB in my z10.. Z30 is the same. The BB Passport (launching this month) is 32GB + 64GB extended.

With all the crap that has happened in the security arena with android and iphone.. this is just another option that you should consider. I'm just trying to help :) and I'm NOT from the government..lol

[edit]
I can get the amazon app store on here and install 99% of the android apps. I actually play clash of clans on my z10.

·
5,143 Posts
[edit]
I can get the amazon app store on here and install 99% of the android apps. I actually play clash of clans on my z10.
Have you noticed any slowness or general clunkiness? Reports that I've read don't give the emulator great reviews.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Have you noticed any slowness or general clunkiness? Reports that I've read don't give the emulator great reviews.
Nope, not while running..the only thing I can say about slowness is that sometimes the start up of an android app can be slow.. but once it's up, it's up. I use google maps too AND i have it tied to my maps in my account. So let's see..

Google Maps
Redphone
Clash of Clans
Amazon App Store
Google Authenticator (for my 2 step verification for google sign in).

All running on my BB Z10. I'll take a video later with another phone to show you perf quality :)

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Another thing I am getting sick of (I've had an iPhone since 4) is the SAME OLD HOME SCREEN. I like the cleaner look of the Android with the option for widgets. I like the SD card slot. The Waterproofing of the S5 seems nice. I need speed, fluidity, and ease of getting content on and off. Apple lacks in that last department.

Things that don't matter as much to me are "Super light" and "super thin." I'm probably going to add a case to it. I don't care about having the top of the line Camera.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have an s5 and a seamaster too. Ha ha. I just switched to the Samsung after 4 years with an iphone4. The Samsung is better in every respect. I'm sure the iPhone6 will be a good phone but I was just bored with apple and made the change. Took 15 minutes to adapt and haven't regretted it once. FUAC.

QUOTE=Darthgamer138;951881]It's the little things I noticed. I've handled Android phones for a grand total of less than 1 hour, and I thought in the other direction. There isn't much it can't do that the iPhone can. I told myself "I want to see what they do with iPhone 6." Blow me away! And I got...this.

For example, my iPhone 5...I can't cut it with 16GB. It simply is not enough for me anymore. No problem right? The next iPhone will increase that. AND THEY RELEASE THIS ONE WITH 16GB. No way in hell I'm paying $100 for 48GB. Totally unacceptable at this time in tech.

...and I see they just announced a watch. I'll take my Seamaster, you keep the change.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I have the Galaxy S5, Daughter has the iPhone 5S

She's jealous of how cool my phone is.

Caveat: My phone has been factory reset 4 times now, and a replacement is on the way.
A friend has had the same experience with hers, apps crashing and random reboots.

Other than that, love the S5!

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I just ordered a 5S.

As to the "I was just bored with Apple" comment, EXACTLY! I can only be strung along so far. If the iP6 had something truly amazing on it, something that made me say "wow, that spirit is still alive", I'd be all over it. But their latest iOS iterations are pretty laughable updates, even the same with OSX, and the phone was just a disappointment. Ooo, bigger screen. Home screen rotates. Whoop de doo. Just looking at these videos of the 5S, I'm very impressed. It's been this long and Apple couldn't even have proper multitasking? Expandable memory? Customizable home screens?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I have the samsung Note3. Great fast phone if you don't mind the giant size. Everything else feels small to me now.

Already mentioned the other top 2 Android phones are s5 and HTC one. My preference would be the HTC, it's the better phone.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts