New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You may have seen my post http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/off-topic/52650-possible-attempted-break-my-house-last-night.html about having my car gone through by some low life, and then the possible person in my garage trying to get into my kitchen....well, with that in mind I bring to you last nights events.

Just before dark a man I didn't recognize walked past the house. Nothing unusual about him (other than I didn't recognize him) or what he appeared to be doing, or not doing. Then about 10 minutes later he walks back again. Again, nothing out of place, other than he's not one of my close neighbors. Wait about 5 minutes again and a cop rolls by. We don't get a lot of cops just rolling through the neighborhood, but since I called them twice in 3 days I figured it might be part of their daily plan. Well, he pulls up a side street and a neighbor goes out to talk to him, at which point the cop drives in reverse and passes my house again, pulling up to my other neighbor to talk to him. At this point I'm interested/concerned in what's going on....so I put my shoes on. I went out as the cop was pulling away and talked to my neighbors. Apparently the guy was asking my neighbor questions about other neighbors in the area...other neighbors who are older...and therefore unfortunately might be seen as an easier target. Unknown to me, some of these neighbors were roughed up while unloading groceries not too long ago. Well, the cops were called by 2 neighbors last night, which is why they came out to check on this guy.

It started to rain and all of us went inside....were I then grabbed my keys and wallet and went for a little drive. I went over to the new Walmart to see if my new neighborhood friend was waiting for the bus....no luck. I checked outside a few stores as I drove by, then headed back towards home.....when I then saw this guy at the gas station. So, I pulled over across the street and called 911.

The officer showed up, got the guy out of the store and frisked him and checked his ID and sent him on his way. I'm not so sure how I feel about this, because I don't necessarily think he should have been cuffed and booked just for talking to my neighbors, but again, I think he was talking to my neighbors to see what he might be able to get from them.

My wife wasn't too thrilled that I went out looking, but the whole time my only intent was to find him and call the cops, not confront him or anything dangerous like that.

This week has been a little more exciting than I ever cared to have in my neighborhood.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Damn, i was hoping you put a tree stand in the front yaard and fired up the camo netting and NVGs... my wife get's pissed when i do that, because the neighbors talk...

:err:

Just kidding of course.... really, pay no attention to that vauge shape in the tree in my yard.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
Yeah, don't think you want to follow a guy that's potentially armed. Definitely don't want to provoke anything.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
I don't live near you but thank you for taking the time to be concerned and doing something about it is a safe manor.

I have lived places where people don't call the cops for any reason.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
How does "frisked him and checked his ID and sent him on his way." become " cuffed and booked"? I do think the asking for ID and the frisk were a violation of the 4th amendment, unless the moron gave consent. But it still isn't cuffed and booked. Sorry man, you kinda sound like a drama queen.

Edit-Ignore the above.

·
I proposed in my NYFirearms.com t-shirt
1,647 Posts
yeah, this activity is common occurance in my 'hood.
Everyone is constantly getting scoped out.

I've called the cops for obviously suspicious behavior before and the operator yelled at me for waisting their time because there wasn't an actual crime being committed in front of me at that time. ugh. seems like being proactive would be a good thing, but I don't like being scolded like I'm a 2nd grader, just for trying to do good.
now we wait until a crime actually occurs to call. some people don't even bother calling then..

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
yeah, this activity is common occurance in my 'hood.
Everyone is constantly getting scoped out.

I've called the cops for obviously suspicious behavior before and the operator yelled at me for waisting their time because there wasn't an actual crime being committed in front of me at that time. ugh. seems like being proactive would be a good thing, but I don't like being scolded like I'm a 2nd grader, just for trying to do good.
now we wait until a crime actually occurs to call. some people don't even bother calling then..
The operator probably lives around the corner from you. As soon as she gets home the blinds go down and she doesn't see or hear anything.

We always had good response times. But it was always for groups of 5 or more or kids with handguns.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts