New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In early July of this year, my wife and I were left with no choice but to put our 4 year old Boxer down. The thing that really pissed me off was, we were charged an emergency visit fee. I felt like saying, "I'll let you know when I want to have my dog killed in advance next time, bitch!"

We were in an impossible situation, and I feel like this place just took advantage of us. It borders on scumbag behavior in my opinion. /vent off

I will always miss this stubborn S.O.B:

Attachments

· Registered
2,746 Posts
never heard of that... mind if i ask why he was put down? i grew up around boxers and 2 of my moms had to be put down for cancer and my friends was put down for brain tumors. ive had my boxer for 8 months now and i dont even wanna think of anything like that..

· Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just seemed like one day he snapped. He got out of the house (my daughter was coming back inside, he was waiting inside by the door and charged out), went after a little kid not far from our house, and attacked me to boot. It was a really ****ty day to say the least.

· Registered
1,668 Posts
Sorry for your loss, bud...they really are wonderful dogs. A close friend of ours had to put down his >2-year-old Rotty for non health-related issues last Fall; it was a horrible situation as well.

We have a 60lb white female named Chloe, and a 95lb fawn male named Tanker. Tanker's very prone to allergic reactions and has already had one very large fatty mass removed from his chest.

· Registered
2,534 Posts
An emergency visit is an emergency visit whether its for euthinasia or pulling a thorn.
It has nothing to do with services rendered or an owners feelings about the matter, it has to do with making everyone jump through hoops and/or be available during non~business hours for response to unschedualled issues.
During business hours such visits push other people and animals further back in line, so its stresful to more than just your wallet.

Its $100 just to walk in the door for such visits to the clinics up here, and I would greatfully pay it if it helped stop my animal from suffering a moment longer than neccisary.

Be happy for your animals relief, not pissy about services you requested to be rendered on the spot.

· Registered
11,402 Posts
I got charged $250 to put 2 stiches my oldest pulled out after a procedure. It took them 2 minutes total.
Regular vet: ok. Emergency clinic: Always Billing criminals.

One way or the other it sucks when they are gone. RIP

· Registered
153 Posts
It sucks having a pet put down. Been there. If it was a visit that was not scheduled as said it was an emergency visit. It sucks but that's all there is to it.

· Registered
449 Posts
Sorry that you had to put your dog down. I had to put my dog down last year for the same reason, he just "snapped" He was a siberan husky/ german shepard hybrid.

Sorry that you feel that way but its not like they can do things for free and stay in service to help others ya know what I mean?

· Registered
8,342 Posts
I had to put my dog down on Christmas eve a few years back. It was a terrible day. The vet office felt terrible also. They did not charge us for the emergency visit even though it was Christmas eve. It all depends on what level of compassion the vet has. I know it's a business but charging someone an emergency visit to put a pet down is low in my opinion. They can charge the normal rate and not act like vultures.

· Registered
8,557 Posts
I am sorry for your loss. I was raised in the country and any animal that needed to be putdown was normally done by my father or myself. The last time I had a dog snap it went after my 2 year old, I drove it out to the desert and dispatched it myself, then I burried it where it died. I guess in NY I would have been charged with animal cruelty or something stupid like that.

· Registered
449 Posts
I am sorry for your loss. I was raised in the country and any animal that needed to be putdown was normally done by my father or myself. The last time I had a dog snap it went after my 2 year old, I drove it out to the desert and dispatched it myself, then I burried it where it died. I guess in NY I would have been charged with animal cruelty or something stupid like that.
No you just dont tell anyone about it...

· Registered
491 Posts
They charged a friend of mine $580 to put his dog down on Christmas Eve... Crooks, no matter how you try to justify it.

· Registered
808 Posts
I have a 2 year old boxer now. He is such a rock head, but a lover at the same point. He wants to play with every dog and see everyone.
Ugh I don't even want to think about loosing him. He is MY first dog, its amazing. He flips out when I leave, but could care less when I get home.
He will obey me, I can walk him without a leash and he stays by my side, sleeps right next to me like my g/f head on pillow, if he is cold in the winter he will stare at me untill I let him under the covers.

Sorry for your loss. :(

· Registered
2,452 Posts
We put 3 cats down in the last couple of years (old age / failing health). And we scheduled the euthanasia's and between that and the cremations for each - cost a pretty penny.

On the other hand - ever see Old Yeller? Back in the day, that's how it was done. Cried like a baby first time seeing it years ago. Just watched "that scene" on YouTube again. Realized when the kid shot the dog with the muzzle loader - there was no recoil, no smoke, no flash, nothing. This time, seeing how he basically dry-fired an empty gun, I didn't cry because now I know Old Yeller wasn't killed.

· Registered
44 Posts
Another dog lover here, and owner of 2.

It sucks any way you slice it. Probably best to just pay it and be done with it, focus on the good memories (easier said, I know).

What a cutie though! ...Very sorry for your loss.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.