New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now i know that chances are ammo scavenging will be almost non existant in a bad situation... but for a hypothetical question lets say there is.

My shooting buddy insists that 30-06 is the most common/popular/available round. Now IMO that may have been the case 20 years ago.. but id say that now. 308 would surpass it in availability....

So based on your own experiances what would u say? Leaving out other calibers. Which of those "high power" calibers is most likely to be found here in ny? I dont know of anyone who shoots 30-06 besides my uncle.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
I try to stick to military calibers but truth be told if you look at many gun stores the 223 and the 308 stuff flies off the shelf. What is left is 30-06, 30-30, .300 (all of them), ,243, .264, .280 and so on. So in a situation where you have to find ammo you may be better off with the 30-06 ( I do have one).

·
Registered
340 Posts
I try to stick to military calibers but truth be told if you look at many gun stores the 223 and the 308 stuff flies off the shelf. What is left is 30-06, 30-30, .300 (all of them), ,243, .264, .280 and so on. So in a situation where you have to find ammo you may be better off with the 30-06 ( I do have one).
100% agreed .308 is more popular so that will go first than the other stuff will be left over but IMO I would take it all no matter what was left. Just because you cant shoot it that doesn't mean its worthless it could be used for trade for ammo that you don't have or you can use the gun powder to start a fire or if you know how to reload so IMO grab anything you can carry. Have a variety of calibers so if you are out on 1 you have another just in case

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
In a situation where you are scavenging for ammo, if you are not first you are last. If I had the means to carry all of the ammo I came across I would grab it all. If I couldn't carry it all I would destroy all the stuff I didn't take. That goes for reloading componets as well. I would much rather take up space in my bag for powder, primers and bullets than ammo that I could not shoot.

I agree that ammo is great currency when in a situation of "normal is broke" but, sometimes you do not have the means to carry everything you find and stashing it is just not an option. Destroying it to ensure that no one else gets a chance to use it against you is the next best thing you can do.

·
Registered
687 Posts
personally I would take the 30-06 and I also have a reloader so many 308 will offer scrounged components that I could use as well...works the other way too. To me I wuold want a 22 and a 30 caliber. I hae a .223, .308 and .30-06. It gives me many options

·
Registered
687 Posts
It would be a big can...lol. I have seen 200 and 400+ though

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not at all... obviously. 22 or 12g. As i said of these. 2 "high power"calibers cals which is more popular these days? I dont see myself heading 20 miles to nearest ammo store... so which would be found in homes....

I think that too many think they will be the first to the store....

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
when was the last time you saw a 720 round ammo can of 30-06

I could spend $50 now and have more rounds that you could salvage from 10 houses (if they don't kill you while you break in)

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I guess i was not clear with my intent... the dispute between my friend and i is which is the more commonly used round these days. And therefore more likely to be found out and about in the country.... if it came to that...

as it stands now. With one more purchase id say that 1000 rounds of the calibers ive chosen. Should do well enough for me with my intentions... which is to avoid contact as much as possible depending on the situation

Seems to me that. 308 is considered the more popular round these days. But i doubt ill ever convince him

·
Registered
687 Posts
counting myself. I know 3 guys that have mostly 30-06 ammo.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I'd say 30-06 is more popular among hunters and 308 is more popular among target / tactical shooters.
It is worth owning at least one of each.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Just buy a blunderbuss and then you can load it with forks and stuff, just like in the cartoons. Just make sure there isn't a cork in the barrel before you shoot it.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lol @ blunderbuss.

Ray- i misread the context. Reading on my phone isnt the bst method

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Just buy a blunderbuss and then you can load it with forks and stuff, just like in the cartoons. Just make sure there isn't a cork in the barrel before you shoot it.
And don't buy it from Acme Corporation, I hear they've had reliability issues...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts