New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i went shooting a week ago i was using '71 Russian surplus ammo about 40-50 rounds. After shooting i went home and tore her down. soaked the barrel in Hoppes 9 for about 5-10 mintuts ran some patches through until 3 came out clean. then ran an oiled patch down the bore followed by one dry one and put the mosin in storage. I got home from dinner last night and went in the cabinet to get out my sks so i could grab the firing pin out i just happened to catch out of the corner of my eye RUST in the barrel of my mosin. Instantly grabbed it broke out the cleaning kit and went to town bore brush 5 or 6 SOAKED patches with Hoppes 9 then ran dry ones through til i had 10 consecutive clean ones. i then ran 2 dripping oil soaked patches down bore followed by one very lightly oiled one and put it in the corner overnight. i havent looked at it yet to see if the rust has begun to return. Am i doing something wrong here with regards to cleaning the bore after shooting corrosive ammo???

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
You need something that will neutralize the corrosive salts and Hoppes won't do it. So they were still there when you oiled it. There are many ways to do it ammonia +water, ballistol + water or windex with ammonia in it. Use your Google fu lots of info out there.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Do yourself a flavor. 97 cents of Chinese Walmart windex. Spray down the bore and you're good to go.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I don't leave my barrels very oiled. Oil attracts and traps dust. Dust absorbs and transfers moisture. Try some Butch's bore cleaner. I leave the barrels dry and locked in with some type of dehumidifying device.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Actually, just plain water works best at dissolving the salt residue and hot water is better than cold. I just grab a funnel stick it in the chamber and pour large ammounts of hot water down the bore. Being a bachelor I use my bathtub but you married types could just use a plastic tub or some such. Then just thouroughly dry everything then clean as normal.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hot soapy water, followed by hot water, followed by ballistol (1:10 diluted with hot water). Done, end of story. Don't even need to dry it. Cleaned, salts neutralized, slight oil left on surfaces.

I usually run a patch thru with straight ballistol first too...

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
As per my Dad who taught me this in the 60's. When done shooting corrosive ammunition clean the bore with hot soapy water three (3) days in a row then store as usual.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Hot soapy water, followed by hot water, followed by ballistol (1:10 diluted with hot water). Done, end of story. Don't even need to dry it. Cleaned, salts neutralized, slight oil left on surfaces.

Not trying to start an argument here but for the OP's benefit I would highly recommend getting every part of the gun as dry as possible after dousing its innards with water, cause y'know, water rusts steel too.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks all the help guys it's truly appreciated even though the mosin isn't a high dollar gun I still want to preserve it as best as possible.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

When you say 1;10 I'm assuming 1 part ballistol correct?

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Windex on a few patches. Salt neutralized.

100% strength ballistol. Let sit to neutralize salt more and actually clean the barrel.

Scrub with bore brush. Put patches through until somewhat clean.

1 patch of 100% ballistol to oil the bore. 1 dry patch to get excess ballistol.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Actually, just plain water works best at dissolving the salt residue and hot water is better than cold. I just grab a funnel stick it in the chamber and pour large ammounts of hot water down the bore. Being a bachelor I use my bathtub but you married types could just use a plastic tub or some such. Then just thouroughly dry everything then clean as normal.
This!

I even fill a thermos with hot water and bring it with me. As soon as I am done shooting, I pour the water down the chamber with a funnel while the barrel is still hot. Between the hot barrel and the hot water, it dries very quickly.

And water is free.

·
Registered
9,902 Posts
Salt is water soluble. Salt is more soluble in hot water. Winder is mostly water which dissolves salt but the pinch of ammonia dissolves carbon and oil. Hot water also evaporates off of steel faster than cold water.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Like the others said you really need something with ammonia in it. Windex works great.

Or you can do it the old fashion way and do what Russian soldiers did and just pee on your rifle. Make sure you get down the bore! Most important part. (gives a whole new meaning to the word "bore snake" )

1 - 20 of 27 Posts