New York Firearms Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in Brooklyn subway station waiting for the train while listening to music, and I was wearing an NRA long sleeve shirt. All of the sudden I felt a tap on my shoulder, I turned my head, and saw a badge in my face. The officer right away lifted the right side of the shirt where I carry my knife (HK Ally), and my pen. He saw the clip of the pen, but after he lifted the shirt, he saw the knife clip too, and took it out of my pocket.

First question, "Why do you carry it"
I replied politely, "I carry because it is legal, officer".

I recited the state penal code stating which knives are prohibited, and the city's administrative code that talks about the prohibition of open carry, and the length of a blade. I remembered that some people got arrested even with manual knives after officers were able to flick them open constituting "centrifugal force", and therefore a gravity knife. So the first test the officer did right away was the flick. It opened, and locked. First thought, "oh s***", and I started to shake.

He took my info down, asked what I was doing in Brooklyn (live in Westchester). I said I work at Kings County DA as a computer technician, and showed him my work ID.

He said he will go easy on me, gave me the knife back, and told me to put it in my backpack. I complied, thanked him, shook his hand, got in the train, and went home. It was a close one, and scared the crap out of me. If it had gone the other way, in the worst case scenario I would have been facing a year behind bars.

When I got home, I took out my toolset, and tightened the pivot screw to the max that the knife barely opens. But I don't think I will carry anymore. I'll stick to the pepper spray, which I also had on me, on the left side clipped to the belt. I had had one pepper spray confiscated once because it didn't have labels indicating it is a pepper spray. The one I have also doesn't have any.

Question: What happens with the information he took?

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
I know what I'm about to post will probably get flamed here but I wouldn't call that almost getting arrested; I'd call it a. NYC LEO doing a good job. From your post, it doesn't seem that you were hasseled (other than being stopped for no apparent reason; OK, I concede that point to the board) at all, he thought there might be a weapon, checked out who you were and sent you on your way. I travelled through Brooklyn subways for seven years and more often than not leaves a lot to be desired. BTW, I always carried a pocket knife (small Spyderco) but always had it in my pocket, not clipped to the pocket or belt. I'm glad nothing happened here and don't know what will happen with the info, but suspect nothing will happen with it. Ok, let the games begin...

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
He did a good job by harassing a law-abiding citizen citing dangerous and unconstitutional laws? Are you out of your mind? Will you say he did a good job when he mops GROM's blood off the train floor when he gets murdered because he couldn't get to his knife and use it properly?

Ughhh, I need to block cgrutt already. His bend-over boot-licking is just blowing my mind.

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
"Why not Evild?! Don't you want the thugs in blue to do a good job all over your skull for having the audacity to think you had the right to protect yourself from harm?!"

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Ask my why I'll never step foot in that city.
me either, the state is communist enough for me, the city is just pure fascism.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I, would say that he will keep the info on you for a short period of time, if there is no incindent involing a knife within a few days he will have forgotten he even spoke with you. The information will stay with him as he does not have to turn anything in to be offically recorded because there was nothing to record.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
He did a good job by harassing a law-abiding citizen citing dangerous and unconstitutional laws? Are you out of your mind? Will you say he did a good job when he mops GROM's blood off the train floor when he gets murdered because he couldn't get to his knife and use it properly?

Ughhh, I need to block cgrutt already. His bend-over boot-licking is just blowing my mind.
Please do. No love lost here.

I'm thinking about the 15 or 20 knifes he pulled off of street punks for every few that he let go. I conceded the point about being stopped for no apparent reason.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Sorry, but exactly how common is a random knifing in NYC? Or armed robbery with a knife?
Sorry, I lack the motivation to dig up the stats myself, but the current "thug" culture doesn't seem to have the knife fascination that the Greasers of the 50's did.

·
Registered
387 Posts
After reading your post, looking up your knife, and trying to decipher the law, I'm trying to figure out if my CRKT M16 13Z is legal. I thought it was, but seems like one could argue that this clause makes it illegal (the word "centrifugal" seems to be the decider):

"Gravity knife" means any knife has blade which is released from the handle or sheath thereof by the force of gravity of the application of centrifugal force which, when released, is locked in place by means of a button, spring, lever, or other device. [Note: In NYC, and potentially in other NY jurisdictions, this definition is construed to apply to ANY folding knife with a blade that locks open. ]​
I found that quote here: http://knife-expert.com/ny.txt

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
It likely won't go any further than his notebook.

Every contact you make you get the persons info, you may need it later on for some reason.

If you take a knife into the city, don't leave it clipped to your pocket. In the city an exposed clip is an exposed knife.

N.Y. ADC. LAW § 10-133:

a. Legislative findings.
It is hereby declared and found that the possession in public places, streets and parks of the city, of large knives is a menace to the public health, peace, safety and welfare of the people of the city; that the possession in public places, streets and parks of such knives has resulted in the commission of many homicides, robberies, maimings and assaults of and upon the people of the city; that this condition encourages and fosters the commission of crimes, and contributes to juvenile delinquency, youth crime and gangsterism; that unless the possession or carrying in public places, streets and parks of the city of such knives without a lawful purpose is prohibited, there is danger of an increase in crimes of violence and other conditions detrimental to public peace, safety and welfare. It is further declared and found that the wearing or carrying of knives in open view in public places while such knives are not being used for a lawful purpose is unnecessary and threatening to the public and should be prohibited.

b. It shall be unlawful for any person to carry on his or her person or have in such person's possession, in any public place, street, or park any knife which has a blade length of four inches or more.

c. It shall be unlawful for any person in a public place, street or park, to wear outside of his or her clothing or carry in open view any knife with an exposed or unexposed blade unless such person is actually using such knife for a lawful purpose as set forth in subdivision d of this section.

d. The provisions of subdivisions b and c of this section shall not apply to (1) persons in the military service of the state of New York when duly authorized to carry or display knives pursuant to regulations issued by the chief of staff to the governor; (2) police officers and peace officers as defined in the criminal procedure law; (3) participants in special events when authorized by the police commissioner; (4) persons in the military or other service of the United States, in pursuit of official duty authorized by federal law; (5) emergency medical technicians or voluntary or paid ambulance drivers while engaged in the performance of their duties; or (6) any person displaying or in possession of a knife otherwise in violation of this section when such knife (a) is being used for or transported immediately to or from a place where it is used for hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, picnicking or any employment, trade or occupation customarily requiring the use of such knife; or (b) is displayed or carried by a member of a theatrical group, drill team, military or para-military unit or veterans organization, to, from, or during a meeting, parade or other performance or practice for such event, which customarily requires the carrying of such knife; or (c) is being transported directly to or from a place of purchase, sharpening or repair, packaged in such a manner as not to allow easy access to such knife while it is transported; or (d) is displayed or carried by a duly enrolled member of the Boy or Girl Scouts of America or a similar organization or society and such display or possession is necessary to participate in the activities of such organization or society.

e. Violation of this section shall be an offense punishable by a fine of not more than three hundred dollars or by imprisonment not exceeding
fifteen days or by both such fine and imprisonment.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I was in Brooklyn subway station waiting for the train while listening to music, and I was wearing an NRA long sleeve shirt. All of the sudden I felt a tap on my shoulder, I turned my head, and saw a badge in my face. The officer right away lifted the right side of the shirt where I carry my knife (HK Ally), and my pen. He saw the clip of the pen, but after he lifted the shirt, he saw the knife clip too, and took it out of my pocket.

First question, "Why do you carry it"
I replied politely, "I carry because it is legal, officer".

I recited the state penal code stating which knives are prohibited, and the city's administrative code that talks about the prohibition of open carry, and the length of a blade. I remembered that some people got arrested even with manual knives after officers were able to flick them open constituting "centrifugal force", and therefore a gravity knife. So the first test the officer did right away was the flick. It opened, and locked. First thought, "oh s***", and I started to shake.

He took my info down, asked what I was doing in Brooklyn (live in Westchester). I said I work at Kings County DA as a computer technician, and showed him my work ID.

He said he will go easy on me, gave me the knife back, and told me to put it in my backpack. I complied, thanked him, shook his hand, got in the train, and went home. It was a close one, and scared the crap out of me. If it had gone the other way, in the worst case scenario I would have been facing a year behind bars.

When I got home, I took out my toolset, and tightened the pivot screw to the max that the knife barely opens. But I don't think I will carry anymore. I'll stick to the pepper spray, which I also had on me, on the left side clipped to the belt. I had had one pepper spray confiscated once because it didn't have labels indicating it is a pepper spray. The one I have also doesn't have any.

It's also against the NYC Administrative Code for you to possess or carry PEPPER SPRAY or MACE as well even though the possession of such items is legal in the NYS Penal Law for private citizens.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
Worst case I guess he might use your info to verify you work where you say you do. You have to be careful in NYC from what I read. I guess some cops there if they can't flick it open the normal way they will hold it by the blade then flick the handle open. I cant find the article but if you can find the one about the raids police conducted in 2003 (I think) where they confiscated knives from stores in NYC its a good read.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

It's also against the NYC Administrative Code for you to possess or carry PEPPER SPRAY or MACE as well even though the possession of such items is legal in the NYS Penal Law for private citizens.
You're right. I just searched for it, and a pepper spray falls under the definition of "tear gas".
10-131e
e. Tear gas; sale or possession of; fees for permits. 1. It shall be unlawful for any person to manufacture, sell or offer for sale, possess or use, or attempt to use, any lachrymating, asphyxiating, incapacitating or deleterious gas or gases, or liquid or liquids, or chemical or chemicals, without a permit issued by the police commissioner under such regulations as the commissioner or the council may prescribe; nor shall any person manufacture, sell or offer for sale, possess or use any weapon, candle, device, or any instrument of any kind designed to discharge, emit, release or use any lachrymating, asphyxiating, incapacitating or other deleterious gas or gases, or liquid or liquids, or chemical or chemicals, without a similar permit, similarly issued, except that the members of the police department in the line of duty may possess or use any such gas, liquid or chemical.

·
Registered
651 Posts
OK....someone correct me if I'm wrong. I know you said he saw the clip for your pen. But it actually could have been anything. Isn't lifting your shirt up an illegal search? Did the fact that he saw the clip for the pen give him a reasonable suspicion that you could be carrying a gun?

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Wow...so everyone in NYC is subject to random, at-will pat-downs by the NYPD for concealed weapons, regardless of whether or not there is "reasonable suspicion" to do so? Was glad to read however that the NYPD officer let the OP go without too much hassle. Bloomdouche is definitely a nazi, and he's running the gestapo over in NYC.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.