New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting the process for getting my pistol permit (Albany County, Town of Colonie). I am taking the course this Friday and have my application mostly filled out and ready to bring in and set up my appointment with the detective. I have a few "last minute" questions before I hand in my application and get the process truly started.

1) What do you guys think of this as my reasoning statement... too much or is it good?
"I, (my name here), would like to obtain my pistol permit in order to be able to target shoot, hunt, and other legal leisure activities (including hiking, fishing, etc). In addition, in the one in a million chance that my life was ever in direct danger, I did not have an option or ability to retreat, and I had no other options; I would like to have the ability to defend myself as needed within all New York State and local laws."

2) I have a very odd Military background and I'm not sure if I should add a description to the back of the form or just leave it out. I was thinking that I should put it down that way if something came up in the background check, it wouldn't throw any red flags as to why I did not bring it up. Basically (will try to keep this as short as possible), I was sworn into the delayed entry program for the Marines (since I was not yet 18) and followed that for about 6 months or so. However, prior to my ship date to boot camp, I was awarded a 4 year ARMY ROTC scholarship and changed paths to follow the ROTC program. I was active in the ROTC for about 2.5 years until I began having major issues with a previous shoulder injury. I attempted to fix it through surgery, but the surgery was unsuccessful and no matter how I tried to work things to continue in the ROTC, my should just couldn't hold up to the pressure and I was medically "discharged". I put discharge in " " because although I was released from the ROTC, after multiple attempts to obtain a DD-214 or similar, I have been unsuccessful. Apparently nobody has any paperwork on me from my time in the delayed entry USMC or the ARMY ROTC. So the only proof I have of my military background is my expired military id (expired May 2007) and my membership in the American Legion. So should I try explaining this whole situation on the back of the form, or just leave it out???

3) Finally, as far as the first pistol going on my permit, my dad is going to transfer one of his pistols to me (through an FFL) so that it will be one less cost I have to worry about right now. My question is, when do I need to provide the FFL receipt for my permit? Do I need it when I hand in my application or when I hand in the other paperwork that the detective will give me?

Thanks for the help guys!

· Registered
169 Posts
1) Too much. Short and concise like: I am requesting a pistol permit for target shooting, hunting, hiking, fishing, and other legal purposes including personal protection If the judge doesn't issue unrestricted, regardless of how long the statement is, he will still restrict unless you own a business and carry large sums of money.

2) You weren't dishonorably discharged or convicted of any serious offenses under the UCMJ. Don't include the unnecessary details.

3) Save the transfer fees. You can register any or all of your dad's pistols on your permit. Get a notarized statement from your dad authorizing you to use his pistol(s). You submit this statement when you're finally approved, at the very end of the process.

· Registered
3,865 Posts
Absolutely do not mention the brief stint in ROTC. My application was help up for quite a while because the Army was unable to send me a long form DD214 for my active duty time, so I ended up getting a "letter of separation from service" for my Reserve time. The investigator in Colonie (one guy does us all) is not familiar with military separations and what not, so it just delayed my application processing. He (Officer Messmer) will also talk to your neighbors about you, so make sure at least one of them is cool with you getting a gun and point him in their direction. He does this after the interview in your home, don't mention it earlier.

· Registered
2,107 Posts
Leave out the ROTC stuff and leave out anything about personal defense.

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
You must remember: Your life is worthless in NY. Mentioning "Personal Protection" in any way is usually the quickest way to a denial.

· Registered
2,107 Posts
Kenny at the class friday they will tell you what and what not put on your application. You have to fill out a form from colonie as well. its on the colonie police and albany county webpage. You should take Kyra with you, you should apply together. My wife's going to be at the friday class as well. I can sign the bill of sale for the remington when i drop her off.

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wanted wifey to take it with me but i dont have the moniez at the moment for both of us to get our permits... and dont want to chance not doing it within the 6only months. Sounds good about the remington.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.