New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know someone who recently got a permit. They said that the judge told them that it was essentially restricted to hunting and target practice. Did not the Bruen decision eliminate this practice?

· Super Moderator
5,005 Posts
I know someone who recently got a permit. They said that the judge told them that it was essentially restricted to hunting and target practice. Did not the Bruen decision eliminate this practice?
If they applied for a CCW and have the training then he has a CCW. There is no need to show cause anymore as you indicated in your post.
Your language is a bit elusive and says the judge explained to his it’s essentially a target and hunting? Essentially doesn’t really say one way or the other and there’s nothing definitive there. Well what does the permit and paperwork say? They maybe saying this because the CCIA has so many restrictions on where you can carry now or they may have said this in an attempt to sway him from carrying. He also may have not met the new requirements for a CCW under the CCIA law. Every county is different and I’m not from that neck of the woods so I can’t say for sure.
My wife will apply for a target and hunting or a premise permit because she not interested in carrying but wants to have mine for my kids if I die and go plinking with me here and there. The 16+2 hour training is too much time and money for her to be worth getting her CCW. Hope this helps.

· Registered
2,870 Posts
There is no such thing as a "hunting/target only" permit in NYS. Previously, it was common for full carry permits to be issued with administrative restrictions such as hunting/target only. Said restrictions have never carried the force of law - meaning, it was NOT illegal for the person to carry outside of those administrative restrictions. It is not clear to me whether or not the Bruen decision made administrative restrictions unlawful - I believe it did not, but that is how many counties appear to have interpreted the decision.

Regardless, restrictions before or after the decision do not carry the force of law.

Regarding pistol permit types in NY, the law is the best source:

2. Types of licenses. A license for gunsmith or dealer in firearms
shall be issued to engage in such business. A license for a
semiautomatic rifle, other than an assault weapon or disguised gun,
shall be issued to purchase or take possession of such a semiautomatic
rifle when such transfer of ownership occurs on or after the effective
date of chapter two hundred twelve of the laws of two thousand
twenty-two that amended this subdivision. A license for a pistol or
revolver, other than an assault weapon or a disguised gun, shall be
issued to (a) have and possess in his dwelling by a householder; (b)
have and possess in his place of business by a merchant or storekeeper;
(c) have and carry concealed while so employed by a messenger employed
by a banking institution or express company; (d) have and carry
concealed by a justice of the supreme court in the first or second
judicial departments, or by a judge of the New York city civil court or
the New York city criminal court; (e) have and carry concealed while so
employed by a regular employee of an institution of the state, or of any
county, city, town or village, under control of a commissioner of
correction of the city or any warden, superintendent or head keeper of
any state prison, penitentiary, workhouse, county jail or other
institution for the detention of persons convicted or accused of crime
or held as witnesses in criminal cases, provided that application is
made therefor by such commissioner, warden, superintendent or head
keeper; (f) have and carry concealed, without regard to employment or
place of possession subject to the restrictions of state and federal
law, by any person; and (g) have, possess, collect and carry antique
pistols which are defined as follows: (i) any single shot, muzzle
loading pistol with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar
type of ignition system manufactured in or before 1898, which is not
designed for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition;
and (ii) any replica of any pistol described in clause (i) hereof if
such replica;
Summary: the license types in NY are as follows:
1) Premises - posses on your property
2) Business - possess in your business
3) Messenger - possess while performing messenger duties
4) Judicial - if you're a judge or similar
5) Police/corrections - if you're an LEO of some flavor
6) Concealed carry - no special restrictions
7) <replicas/flintlocks/etc>

· Registered
428 Posts
Certain Upstate County Judges are not issuing Unrestricted Pistol Licenses. With the CCIA currently being enforced. You are limited where you may conceal carry. The private business if restricted must have a sign saying Firearms allowed. Those businesses that are sensitive are not exempt.

· Registered
114 Posts
If they applied for a CCW and have the training then he has a CCW. There is no need to show cause anymore as you indicated in your post.
Your language is a bit elusive and says the judge explained to his it’s essentially a target and hunting? Essentially doesn’t really say one way or the other and there’s nothing definitive there. Well what does the permit and paperwork say? They maybe saying this because the CCIA has so many restrictions on where you can carry now or they may have said this in an attempt to sway him from carrying. He also may have not met the new requirements for a CCW under the CCIA law. Every county is different and I’m not from that neck of the woods so I can’t say for sure.
My wife will apply for a target and hunting or a premise permit because she not interested in carrying but wants to have mine for my kids if I die and go plinking with me here and there. The 16+2 hour training is too much time and money for her to be worth getting her CCW. Hope this helps.
People lie all the the time Judges are nothing special

· Registered
222 Posts
Hopefully this gets ruled on quickly.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hopefully this gets ruled on quickly.
Yes because what is going on is clearly in violation of the ruling.

· Registered
428 Posts
January 3rd the State will respond to the court to dismiss the GOA emergency application on the Second Circuit stay on the injunction.
This is next week, I believe all the 2A Forums will have the latest information.

· Super Moderator
5,005 Posts
January 3rd the State will respond to the court to dismiss the GOA emergency application on the Second Circuit stay on the injunction.
This is next week, I believe all the 2A Forums will have the latest information.
I can tell you what that information will be and it will not be what we’re hoping for. I hope I’m wrong but nothing good has happened yet. Yes we “won” some lawsuits but there’s wins have turned into nothing except carrying a gun at a church.

· Registered
428 Posts
I can tell you what that information will be and it will not be what we’re hoping for. I hope I’m wrong but nothing good has happened yet. Yes we “won” some lawsuits but there’s wins have turned into nothing except carrying a gun at a church.
From what it looks like, other states will start passing similar carry bans. Might take a few years for SCOTUS to finally hear it.

· Registered
428 Posts
I think plenty are on the way to passing this. Should help us in the end so I welcome it.
NYS was just hit with an assault weapons ban lawsuit as well. I can’t wait for that one to go our way.
Their was one case dismissed regarding the AWB in NY. Their is a case out Maryland that is thought to be clearing a path for other states. The SCOTUS will eventually need to hear it as the lower courts are not following the Bruen ruling.

· Super Moderator
5,005 Posts
Here is the new one I am referring to. It’s brand new and hasn’t received much attention yet. We will see what happens but it’s NYS so I’m not too hopeful. Maybe someday it will get settled. As for the Supreme Court settling all of this we are years away if it ever happening. Even when these get settled NYS, NJ, CA, MA, NH, WA, OR will not back down and they will just create new laws starting this all over again. It will take another 5-10 years and millions of dollars to sort out. It will never end.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts