New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking I'm gonna take a day off on Friday and head to the swamps for some shootin. Thinking SKS and some shotgun drills.

Anyone else up for some trigger time?

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Maybe. Got a few projects happening at work I need to wrap. OTOH I've got an M38 and another Garand coming this week, that's incentive enough to try and get a day off.

Stay tuned......

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Anybody got a clay thrower? Thinking about bringing a case of clay if I can make it. (I've got a ****-ton of 12ga target loads we can burn through)

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Yeah, you're probably correct about the "not allowed" part...too easy to start raining shot down on the neighboring lanes. Maybe I'll find the time to make a stand so we can use clays for rifle targets instead. Paper is fun but breaking **** is more funner (of course we'll pick up our mess), maybe a case of cheap soda to shoot at too?

Hey 'drew, where did you get that table you brought last time?

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, you're probably correct about the "not allowed" part...too easy to start raining shot down on the neighboring lanes. Maybe I'll find the time to make a stand so we can use clays for rifle targets instead. Paper is fun but breaking **** is more funner (of course we'll pick up our mess), maybe a case of cheap soda to shoot at too?

Hey 'drew, where did you get that table you brought last time?
Not entirely sure. Typically get stuff like that at Home Deopt, Lowes or Target.

I like the clay idea, but stationary. I'm thinking about playing with a timer - something like shoot 2, load 1, shoot 1 with points off for missed targets. Or shoot 1, load 2, shoot 2 kind of stuff - with the shottie - fun to put a bit of stress into it.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
You got a timer? We could set up a run-and-gun with a couple of stations.....run 20 yards towards the backstop, stop and shoot some targets, run to the next station, etc.

Has it dried up any yet or do I need to bring my hip waders again?

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You got a timer? We could set up a run-and-gun with a couple of stations.....run 20 yards towards the backstop, stop and shoot some targets, run to the next station, etc.

Has it dried up any yet or do I need to bring my hip waders again?
Not a shot timer, just a stopwatch. It was bone dry last time we were there, but expect to get some rain this week (including Friday) so there's always a recommendation to be prepared for anything.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
OK, I'm in.....Fall Swamp Shoot 2014 is a GO!

I built a dozen clay holders and have a few ideas for a SG run-and-gun (load swaps and everything).

I'm bringing the M38, the Mauser, and the new Garand that should be here by Wednesday (1944 vintage war horse). I might bring the Russian SKS just because it's dialed in and I could probably shoot rings around your Chinese SKS's with it.....anybody up for a friendly 100 yard SKS target competition? Also bringing the SG (obviously) and maybe a few pistols.

I can bring the grill again if you guys are up for lunch?

Chris is in charge of the strippers and Andy is bringing the beer, what else do we need?

Let's do this!!!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Damn, I wish I was on mornings this week so I could have made an appearance. I hate to burst your bubble thughes, but you can't shoot clay's or pop at the swamps, their are signs saying paper only. I brought a case of clays one time and set them up all over the berm to practice transitions, then the DEC showed up and told me paper only. Stupid rules, I think you should be able to shoot whatever you want as long as you clean it up.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
OK, I'm in.....Fall Swamp Shoot 2014 is a GO!

I built a dozen clay holders and have a few ideas for a SG run-and-gun (load swaps and everything).

I'm bringing the M38, the Mauser, and the new Garand that should be here by Wednesday (1944 vintage war horse). I might bring the Russian SKS just because it's dialed in and I could probably shoot rings around your Chinese SKS's with it.....anybody up for a friendly 100 yard SKS target competition? Also bringing the SG (obviously) and maybe a few pistols.

I can bring the grill again if you guys are up for lunch?

Chris is in charge of the strippers and Andy is bringing the beer, what else do we need?

Let's do this!!!
Sound good to me. haha

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hello Everyone...I have been wanting to check out the "swamps" for a while now, but i haven't made it there yet. i am going to try and get there Friday. I am familiar with route 77, having been to Darien Lake a few times. Can someone post directions from rt. 5 (main Street) and rt. 77. All the info. online is pretty vague as to the exact location. I will be in Newstead on Friday so i'm pretty close to there already. I don't have any EBR's but my pistols are always up for a workout
Thanks for the help. also..is the plan for 12:00? I think that's the earliest start time allowed if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hello Everyone...I have been wanting to check out the "swamps" for a while now, but i haven't made it there yet. i am going to try and get there Friday. I am familiar with route 77, having been to Darien Lake a few times. Can someone post directions from rt. 5 (main Street) and rt. 77. All the info. online is pretty vague as to the exact location. I will be in Newstead on Friday so i'm pretty close to there already. I don't have any EBR's but my pistols are always up for a workout
Thanks for the help. also..is the plan for 12:00? I think that's the earliest start time allowed if I'm not mistaken.
Earliest time to shoot is Noon. I plan on being there earlier and taking the first 100 yard lane. Look for a red xterra. For directions, google bartel rd, newstead or middleport, ny

ETA - bartel rd

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Wish I could blow off work it's been way to long since I got a chance for some range time and id love to meet a few more of you guys but maybe next time.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Not familiar with the place.

Is it public land with a range?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts