New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever messed with these? I haven't had a chance to shoot my VZ58 yet but everything I've read says they are AKs on roids. I own both so either way I'm covered but I'm just wondering if anyone else has ever seen them, I'm surprised they werent more popular in NY being that I believe pretty much all the mags they have are preban surplus (talking pre - "SAFE" act bull**** here)

They fire the same round but work off a striker system rather then a hammer and have a short stroke piston like an SKS rather then the entire carrier being directly attached to the piston for cycling.

Machine gun Air gun Trigger Line Gun barrel

·
Registered
9,902 Posts
Stop taunting us. We'll show up in your garage some night and never leave.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stop taunting us. We'll show up in your garage some night and never leave.
Wait til I get my house with the extra bedroom, I can hole up the NY refugees in there for awhile and they can touch my 6 felony rifles if they behave all day, lol

In all seriousness though I wanted to know if these were ever made ban compliant and sold in NY - just a quick buzz with a dremel would take off the bayo lug and that wire stock could be welded open in a short second. Pretty sure all the mags are preban as they don't use this rifle anymore and it came into service in 1958 soooooooo.........how come I never really saw one of these in NY?

Also I just remembered.....these can be topped off with SKS stripper clips, with Century now building these pretty regularly pinning a mag in there would eliminate the "removable mag" AW qualification without destroying a piece of history, it has a bolt hold open feature on last round like the SKS and it can also be manually engaged with your trigger finger.....

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Buddy had a CZ one and it was the smoothest shooting semi I've ever fired.
Mines a cheap Century build, VZ2008

The CZs are import from Czechoslovakia and they cost about what an Arsenal AK does - no wonder it was so smooth lol

·
Registered
36 Posts
ak is a great rifle, throw it off your roof, run it over with your car, goes bang everytime. I never fired the vz 58, but have read a lot about it, and most people say it is a little better than the ak. it is on my short list, but very hard to find. the vz 58 liberty edition has a fixed mag and is loaded with stripper clips. if you get one make sure it comes from here https://www.czechpoint-usa.com/vz58-liberty-762?l=1
I have read/heard the century version is crapola.
also you can see from the link I provided they are sold out, and for good reason.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
I know someone with a vz58 fetish. He probably had all the ones in NY before he moved out of state,

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mines a VZ2008 and apparently the later Century builds are good to go, so far this one seems like itll be fine.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I just read over what causes it, I'm not sure if Century changed their trigger groups a little or not but my sear actually kinda rises up a little when the trigger is pulled and the striker is released, it was actually hanging up my bolt carrier and I filed it to a more rounded shape rather then the sharp edged square it was when I got it, I tried pulling the trigger as hard as I could and slamming the bolt home with everything I got in me and I cannot get the striker to slip off and follow the carrier home, Century must have corrected the problem.

Mine also has the proper Czech threading on the muzzle, unlike the earlier ones with 1-14LH AK threads

1 - 13 of 13 Posts