New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
If it is built preban yes. If it is postban no.

Post-bans with...

1-Collapsible or folding stocks
2-Flash hiders
3-Threaded muzzles and or unpinned brakes (assuming they have a pistol grip)
4-Postban magazines over 10 rounds

= NO NO (felony)

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
There are no WASR models that are preban to anyones knowledge, if the rifle had the bayonet lug filed off for legal reasons then it cannot have a folding stock, if it were preban it could have BOTH the bayo lug AND the folding stock.

Bayonet lugs = felony
folding/collapsing stocks = felony
flash hiders/ threaded barrels = felony

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
if you meant "not buy a felony" as in a whole rifle, if it is a good deal u can buy it and bring it to a local gun shop ASAP to have it pinned, if it was just the stock u were referring to, then yea just leave it solid.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well its a good deal on the gun. So I wanna buy it. So I just wanted to make sure if I got it I made it NY compliant before bringing it out to the ranges.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Don't buy an illegal rifle. You're asking for it. If you really want it let the seller transfer it to a gun shop and pick it up without the stock or have them make it legal. A few $$ for piece of mind.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah I'm going to try and work with the seller on making it NY compliant before I purchase it. Either have them pin the stock or put a non folding stock on it ( I really don't want the underfolder stock anyhow)

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Just to ask:
I see Rochester as location.
Don't they have some extra analisms of thier own, like no evil type rilfes no matter what?

Or am I thinking fo another city? (not Albany or NYC)

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
yeah I'm going to try and work with the seller on making it NY compliant before I purchase it. Either have them pin the stock or put a non folding stock on it ( I really don't want the underfolder stock anyhow)
That is the right thing. If you do not go to an FFL at least have a bill of sale done that says NY compliant firearm after making sure it is compliant.
Also if the source doesn't look "reliable" I would not take it if you do not know where that firearm has been or if it actually belongs to someone else.
It is not the norm but schit happens you know.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah Rochester has as ordinance about no evil featured rifles...I live in Greece though. Just put Rochester cause its the closest city.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Easy answer, NO. It's EEEEEEEVVVVVIIIIILLLLLL! So run!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Just buy it and make it legal. I don't think you can get in trouble for a rifle that used to be at one time in the past non ny compliant. Don't throw it in your trunk and do 80mph home or something stupid. If your worried disassemble it then put it in your trunk. Your transporting parts.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Just buy it and make it legal. I don't think you can get in trouble for a rifle that used to be at one time in the past non ny compliant. Don't throw it in your trunk and do 80mph home or something stupid. If your worried disassemble it then put it in your trunk. Your transporting parts.
Not a good idea.. Steer clear, buy compliant, or ship to an FFL and let them make it compliant. Don't be in possesion of this. period.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Here is an interesting thought though.......None of the above mentioned items have serial numbers on them.......How much digging around,other than DEC officers maybe know the in's and out's ?? Those DEC boys are a pretty tight agency.....I mean sure they will spot it as a POSSBLE illegal weapon but proving it is another.....Obviously a Magpul adjustable stock would stick out as illegal,the company wasn't around pre-ban.....Of course I would do it the legal way,just making an observation is all.....Now define flash hider,muzzle bbrake....I have seen several rifles at local gun shops with some sort of attachment on the end of the barrel.....How is that legal ??

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
DEC? Do you plan to hunt with it? Not the guys I would worry about.

magpul and WASR... both not around pre 94

If you do some searching you can find answers to the flash hider vs muzzle break. Remember also the rules are different for semi auto / bolt action / shot guns

Seems like a lot of effort for a bottom tier gun. How cheap is it?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts