New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well. Its gonna be a long shot but, anyone know where to get a stripped AK receiver? thinking about a rivet build as it looks the least complicated. Yes safety sallys it will be a fixed mag build. Also i don't know anything about welding so the rails would need to be pre-installed. any builders out their?

·
R.I.P. to our friend PY-3-21-2016
5,474 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
preferably drilled and bent. worst case scenario at least drilled and dimpled ect... getting ahold of a jig and press is the issue.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Preorder one from Nodak Spud. They are sold out but will have more at the end of October. I've used two of the Model NDS-1 "EZ" receivers and they were great. page2

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Preorder one from Nodak Spud. They are sold out but will have more at the end of October. I've used two of the Model NDS-1 "EZ" receivers and they were great. page2
Now here's the question. Will an FFL dare to touch it?

·
5,474 Posts
Does a drilled and punched flat count as an 80% ?

Seems any fab shop with a press brake could bend it. Plus, if I remember right, there's still a weld or two required, right?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Does a drilled and punched flat count as an 80% ?

Seems any fab shop with a press brake could bend it. Plus, if I remember right, there's still a weld or two required, right?
Yes i believe its not a 'firearm' until its drilled and bent. the only welds i know of are for the ejector/rials and not sure if they count toward 100%

Also id have to bend it myself otherwise it's illegal

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Some flats require heat treating also once they are done. As far as an FFL it's going to be hit or miss just like AR receivers.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Some flats require heat treating also once they are done. As far as an FFL it's going to be hit or miss just like AR receivers.
Atleast AR receivers are plentiful mostly. havnt seen an ak one ever...at all.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
I have never seen any at shops either. I have seen flats at shows before. See if Bob from Firefly will do the transfer for you, he's in Schenectady.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
That's quite simply because home built AK variants have never been all that popular or big sellers. It's a very specialized market catering to a pretty small number of buyers. Unlike the simple to assemble 'man legos' that are ARs, AK type variants are far more difficult to assemble (even when you do have a complete receiver) and require special tooling. This is why most people who have gotten into it have build parties; because most people are not going to have the tools to do it themselves without extremely significant cost.

i.e. 12 ton shop press, barrel press kit, riveting jigs /tool, quality drill press. You're looking at darn near a grand at least just for the tools alone, and even then it takes experience to do it right. I've never done it personally but I do know what goes into it and it's quite daunting. I've known several guys who built a few ARs and got it into their heads that they could build an AKM type. All of them quickly wound up selling their parts kits off after just finding that they didn't just simply go together like an AR.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
The builds appeals to a different people for different reasons.
Most do not have the experience nor equipment to do a good job so the more parts one buys predrilled
pre pressed and ready the better ... unless one has access to a machine shop and the experience to use
the tools. In youtube and internet everything loose easier than what it really is.
Many folks like the idea to build something of their own that is for the challenge, learning and customization.

Otherewise there is little point with the great saiga and other alternatives ready to use or almost ready to use.

One attractive thing about the AK the way I see it, would be to have the option to use alternative calibers
that would enjoy the super reliable platform. Krebs promised a 6.5grendel but that project seems to be dead
and krebs is not going to be affordable.
A good proof is the saiga 308W that is super reliable and a great hunting rifle for almost anything.

But what about a company that sells different calibers with headspaced trunions and threaded in a way
that one could exchange the barrel with a few screws. Also the AKM are enjoying now the capability to take
AR magazines with easy to install adapters including LRBO. This somewhat modular approach would draw even more
interest in the time tested platform.
And for communist states like NY the action gives the option to be adapted to a decent looking sporter with a
hunting / semi tactical rifle flavor and to be in compliance with the BS laws.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Saiga sounds like the best route for me lol...i knew i should have picked up an AK back 3 years ago when my FFL had crates of them for 350-400$....damn it

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Saiga sounds like the best route for me lol...i knew i should have picked up an AK back 3 years ago when my FFL had crates of them for 350-400$....damn it
yes. i remember back when i wasnt old enough to buy a gun yet, i saw a WASR-10 at Herb Phillipson's for about 350. i'v wanted an ak ever since i got into guns (around 15 or so). amazing how prices change.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's quite simply because home built AK variants have never been all that popular or big sellers. It's a very specialized market catering to a pretty small number of buyers. Unlike the simple to assemble 'man legos' that are ARs, AK type variants are far more difficult to assemble (even when you do have a complete receiver) and require special tooling. This is why most people who have gotten into it have build parties; because most people are not going to have the tools to do it themselves without extremely significant cost.

i.e. 12 ton shop press, barrel press kit, riveting jigs /tool, quality drill press. You're looking at darn near a grand at least just for the tools alone, and even then it takes experience to do it right. I've never done it personally but I do know what goes into it and it's quite daunting. I've known several guys who built a few ARs and got it into their heads that they could build an AKM type. All of them quickly wound up selling their parts kits off after just finding that they didn't just simply go together like an AR.
Well, sounds like a NYF build party sounds in order if novembers election goes as planned:cool:

·
5,474 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts