New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally picked up a Mosin Nagant. It is a Soviet M91 from 1939. All matching numbers! Came with a boat load of ammo and the cleaning kit. Also a bunch of Tactical crap ( some Ncstar scope, laser, NIB ATI stock) will be selling all this. Not much else to tell just really happy i finally picked one up :) here are a few Cell Pics.
Wood Bumper Musical instrument accessory Bicycle part Rim Wood Air gun Trigger Musical instrument accessory Gun barrel Wood Trigger Air gun Publication Shotgun Table Furniture Tableware Wood Wood stain paid a little under $200 for everything, how did i do?

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
It won't be too much longer before you want a 2nd and a 3rd man! I love the Nagants, when I get some money saved up I'm going for an M38 next (I already have 2 M91/30s) good score with the numbers, did your bayonet match too?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Nice pick up. You should head out with Nightshift & I to brake it in at the swamps.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I had a 1940, almost exactly the same. Tula as well. I had the ATI stock for hunting. I sold it with a 440 can of ammo for 225. You definitly got a good deal. Congrats!

How does the bore look? The one I had shined like it never saw corrosive ammo.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice pick up. You should head out with Nightshift & I to brake it in at the swamps.
i will take you up on that offer. no the bayonet is the only non matching part..... i hear its very rare for the bayonet to match. Didn't got a ton of ammo a little shy of 100 rounds. which will get me started. Should i spend the extra few pennies in brown bear ammo for its non- corrosive ammo?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had a 1940, almost exactly the same. Tula as well. I had the ATI stock for hunting. I sold it with a 440 can of ammo for 225. You definitly got a good deal. Congrats!

How does the bore look? The one I had shined like it never saw corrosive ammo.
the bore is dark, running patches down it turned them black in one pass. should clean up well after some foam and a soak in mineral spirits. rifling is really nice with no counter bore

·
Registered
112 Posts
the bore is dark, running patches down it turned them black in one pass. should clean up well after some foam and a soak in mineral spirits. rifling is really nice with no counter bore
Get your hands on some Ballistol. That is all you'll ever need, especially if you plan to run surplus ammo.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
i will take you up on that offer. no the bayonet is the only non matching part..... i hear its very rare for the bayonet to match. Didn't got a ton of ammo a little shy of 100 rounds. which will get me started. Should i spend the extra few pennies in brown bear ammo for its non- corrosive ammo?
I always go with brown bear or silver bear since it goes on sale sometimes for even less then the brown bear, I try to avoid the corrosive ammo at all costs unless it's a very nice deal, the 440 tins aren't much cheaper then buying a case of 500 brown bears on sale anymore, I vote go with the non-corrosive whenever possible.

Also I have heard that too, I have an Izzy from '42 and out of all the ones at the gunshop, I'm the only one who had the matching bayonet with it, I scored good on that one myself.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I'm not going to ask how you know what the rectum of a raccoon looks like :)...... just ordered some online.
you can buy racoon parts online now? jk

i vote surplus
81 Bulgarian is the best ive used
silver and brown bear are not quite as good imho... feels like the surplus works better

if i had a psl id spring for silver bear

·
Registered
222 Posts
I don't mind using the corrosive stuff, I always have windex near by to dissolve the salts until I can get home and do a proper cleaning. Mines a 1926 Izhevsk, Hex receiver, I love that gun and it was dirt cheap, just covered in cosmoline - I boiled the bolt and made some rifle soup.

·
Registered
75 Posts
From what I hear, each one is different with respect to ammo preference, but I find the Brown Bear 203gr SP shoots consistently high and right on mine. My preference in new production non-corrosive is Partizan (PPU) either in FMJ or SP. As a bonus, those are both brass case and boxer primed in case I ever get into reloading. AIM Surplus has some unbranded new production steel cased ammo from Novosibirsk that's pretty cheap and shoots nicely. I've been starting to shoot 1972 surplus Bulgarian corrosive lately though, and it fires nicely too.

These rifles are a blast to shoot though. Thinking about my next one now. If you're going to start a collection of them, it's probably not a bad idea to get your Type 3 FFL (C&R) if you don't have it already.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts