New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at the GSG (ATI) 1911-.22 LR. for my next purchase. Does anyone own one of these? If so how do you like it ?
I have also looked at the Chiappa 1911-.22. Any advise would be appreciated. I have found a great deal at Bud's Gun Shop. They have the GSG for $316.00 with no tax and free shipping. Locally the shops want $399.00 + tax.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
A friend of mine has the ati .22 and loves it. I know he's put more than 2k rounds through it and the only issue was the recall they had on the barrel bushing? I think.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I own the GSG 1911. It is a fun gun to shoot, and acceptably, but not extremely, accurate. Mine does have intermittent FTF issues with the federal bulk packs (less so when I clean it between range trips). I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one if you're looking for a dedicated 22lr 1911. I'd look at the price through Davidson's (galleryofguns) since they lifetime warranty anything purchased through them.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I own the GSG 1911. It is a fun gun to shoot, and acceptably, but not extremely, accurate. Mine does have intermittent FTF issues with the federal bulk packs (less so when I clean it between range trips). I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one if you're looking for a dedicated 22lr 1911. I'd look at the price through Davidson's (galleryofguns) since they lifetime warranty anything purchased through them.
Thanks for the info. I looked up on Davidson's and their price was $379.00. Better than local but Bud's has it for $316.00. No shipping and no tax. I have an FFl that only charges me $20 for the transfer. Grabagun.com also has very good prices on firearms too.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I have one. It's pretty fun to shoot and I really haven't had any issues with mine other then the FTF from cheap ammo once in a while. I've put about 2000 rds or so through it. The finish is ok and the sights are cheap plastic but I think they are a standard Novak cut so some day I will change them.

If your looking for a 1911 style for fun I like mine. If your looking for accurate not the greatest though I will say once you get it dialed in and get used to it, it does group pretty good. I have the one with the rail on the bottom and put a cheap reddot on it and that works pretty good indoor and low light. Not a bullseye gun for sure, I have a buckmark and woodsmen for that.

I have had mine for about a year and a half, I have read of quite a few issues on the newer ones with a B serial # having bad guide rods that brake. Not sure if they have fixed that problem or not.

Oh, mine is the gsg I looked at both and liked that one a little better.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I was looking at the GSG and that is a great price! I saw a Colt Government .22 1911 last weekend for $450, with a bottom rail. Anyone know anything about those?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Cant comment on anything but the Chiappa previously mentioned.

I just finished breaking mine in...0 problems using Remington bulkpack. I was actually surprised how well it shot. Theres a pdf out on the net on how to do a trigger job on them. I plan on doing it later this week.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I brought up Davidson's primarily for the warranty since ATI's isn't lifetime (although their customer service is very good from what I've heard). I've used bud's before and had a good experience and got a very good price.

If you end up going with the GSG, I would recommend an aftermarket guide rod from cwaccessories.com. If you do a search you'll find some people saw it snap. ATI will replace it, but I'm not sure if they ever changed the design. With the one from CW you'll avoid the problem all together.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Also a GSG owner here. I have maybe 500-700 rounds through it using only the federal bulk. Id say between every 100-150 Ill have a ftf. IMO not to bad for a 22 using junk ammo. Ive made a few upgrades to mine as well. I got a single side thumb safety, The one it comes with was bulky and kind of hard to engage. I ditched the curved mainspring housing for a flat checkered one. If you go for a new mainspring housing you have to buy a new pin that holds the spring in, the one it comes with is some wacky design. Also this gets rid of the mag safety, which is annoying in my opinion. Lastly I got new grips. I would like paint the slide and get rid of the white.

2012-04-02_21-29-49_942.jpg

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thank you all for your input. I did look up CW accessories and the have the guide rod and spring for around $17.00. I think I am going to buy one and get the new rod and spring. I will let you know what I think of the pistol when I buy one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts