New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! So, I've got a bit of a problem, one may say several in fact, regarding the obtainment of ANY kind of pistol license in Onondaga.

First I might say a bit about my situation. I grew up in Syracuse, lived here until I was around 20 when I moved to Florida. That was where I first got a Concealed Weapons Permit, which was rather painless. Lived in FL for around 10 years then moved to just outside Atlanta. Got a Firearms License there which was RIDICULOUSLY easy. I kid not, literally two pages of paperwork, prints and all done at the same building in less than 20 minutes, License received in mail a WEEK LATER.

So almost exactly one year ago, my business disintegrated and I had to move back to Syracuse to my parents house, which I'm still living at. As if having to move back to my folks wasn't bad enough, I pretty much knew I couldn't bring any of my beloved weapons with me and sold off almost my entire collection of guns and knives which was pretty respectable. The only exception was my daily carry pistol (which I'm about as attached to as my hand) which I sent to an FFL to hold onto until the day if/when I got my pistol license for NY.

So this isn't the first I've looked into it, but since I initially looked into it I honestly was so depressed with the situation it's taken me this long to ask for some advice. It all seemed rather hopeless but now I'm just haunted. I seem to have some rather serious odds against me in my quest for a pistol license, hoping someone here might be able to offer some advice.

My problems are as follows:

1. I live with my parents, and for the foreseeable future will still be living with them. From what I've read it seems that Premise-Only licenses are for the homeOWNERS only, and I certainly don't own the property, I just reside here.

2. I know this will sound off, but I not only don't have 4 references in Onondaga, I don't even have 1 reference, and I don't imagine I'll have them any time soon. I left Syracuse when I was 20 (about 13 years ago), anyone I knew here or was friends with here moved well out of state, same as me, or the closest are in Albany or NYC. I suppose on a long enough timeline I might meet enough people to satisfy this condition but seriously, beyond the fact that I work from home and know almost literally no one Upstate, how long do you have to know someone before you can comfortably ask them to be a reference for a pistol license? I just find it more likely I'll move out of NY by the time I find the references needed...

Other than that I've got a flawless arrest/criminal record, never been deemed mentally incompetent, etc. etc. It just seems so far like the only options I have are to either move to a different county with less restrictions or move out of state.

Obviously I'm frustrated and would GREATLY appreciate any advice anyone has to offer, thanks in advance!

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
First, welcome to NYF, I'm sure we will get your questions answered. Second, this post should get you started: http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/pistol-permits/2348-pistol-permit-information-county.html#post8006

Third, as for your #1 question, I can't speak for Onondaga county, but that is the first I have ever heard of that, and in any case you don't want a premises only permit in all likely hood. You want "Concealed Carry." I too live with my parents and besides the ass backwards process I have my Concealed Carry permit in Montgomery.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Join a local range and start hanging with other shooters, you can get some to be references as soon as it is legit. Slow maybe, but faster than not.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts