New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at a 5 hr drive back and forth to take my daughter to college (pottsdam area). Heres my quandry, we all know I cant even have my firearm locked in my nano vault in my truck...so what do I do.

I have no place to put my weapon off campus. When i pick her up in future i plan to just park off campus to get her, but this time we are unloading and dropping her off. I feel i have no choice but to go unarmed but anyone else have this problem and come up with a solution.

I wonder if a bus station to rent a locker or something........but im guessing i just have to make the trip without my carry gun to keep within the limits of the law.

looking for suggestions if anyone has any. I prefer to stay within the law and not even have it on campus as per the law....all i need is to loose my permit....

· Premium Member
4,405 Posts
DONT bring it onto campus. Not worth the risk.

Id leave it at home, its the safest option (for you) unfortunately.

At best id carry a "utility" knife or something. Even that is a grey area if you get hung up and they want to crucify you. I had a folding box cutter in college I needed per an art class I had. If you need it you need it, its just a tool (just as a gun should be looked at but it isnt in their eyes).

· Registered
173 Posts
I am lucky enough to work at a wonderful (insert sarcasm, actually I'm pretty happy with my job) NY state institution of higher learning. Although I don't have my carry yet, I applied and turned in paperwork 6/18, one of our campus police officers mentioned that if I were to call ahead and be able present my permit prior to bringing the weapon on campus, that they would store it in the weapon's locker in their office and allow me to pick it up when I left everyday. Being that I live under 2 miles from campus I'm not going to worry about it.

That all being said, take that with a grain of salt as that it was a casual conversation and he is just a run of the mill (ie not supervisor) guy.

· Registered
11,402 Posts
I agree with the above. Do not even think about bringing anything anywhere close to these criminal safe-heaven designated areas. It is not worth the risk. We are screwed no matter what and like Larry Potterfield always says, that's the way it is.

...Or bring a nice heavy duty cane but make sure you show a bit of a limp. LOL

· Registered
275 Posts
2 Wheeler,

I work at SUNY Potsdam up here and have run into the problem if I am planning to go shooting during lunch or am traveling after work to go to the range or hunting. At SUNY Potsdam, we (as employees, and our students also) are allowed to store long guns and ammo at our University Police Department, but no handguns.

When I ran into this problem most recently (needed to leave directly from work to get to a defensive pistol class I was attending) I stopped in to talk to our Chief of Police at the University (who recently retired from being the Chief of Police in the Village of Potsdam). He told me to swing into the Potsdam Police Department and that I could leave my pistol with them. Not wanting to surprise the department by walking in with my pistol I called the day before to ask to make sure and to find out how they wanted it. The dispatcher told me a lockable container, disassembled (slide off of frame), unlocked until they checked it. I showed up the next day, showed the gun, locked the case and signed it in. Showed up at lunch, signed it out and was on my way. Shortly after that, I repeated this and they didn't require it to be disassembled as long as I could show empty. So call before hand and you should be all set.

Potsdam Police Dept. -- Potsdam, NY

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
I agree. Schools are flat WEIRD. I've brought my shotguns in the parking lot of my school (100% accidentally) a few times, but I would NOT advise it. I have also brought a knife (Kershaw Scallion) a few times and even had a "cool knife" mention before. I also would not advise that. How a shotgun in the parking lot is ANY sort of threat I will NEVER understand, but then again I will NEVER understand "gun free zones" either.

· Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gentlemen, no i was not even THINKNG of bring it near campus.......But joshiemac25.....that is a great idea/set up you have there......thanks for that idea.........

Im just gonna have to go without this time and maybe in the future do that/again park off campus to get my daughter.

thanks for the input...again I dont want to risk it either but love joshiemac25 arrangement.

· Registered
460 Posts
i go back to school in 3 days, SUNYIT, and its upsetting knowing i cant carry for months on end now and wont be even able to shoot. i live 3 hours away so going home for a weekend to shoot isnt an option either. i wish campus carry was legal.

· Registered
2,127 Posts
How far away is the local PD (for storing it)? I think calling ahead to the campus PD and attempting to make arrangement with them is a great idea. Let us know how it goes and what you decide...BTW, this is why strict gun laws are working so well for the law abiding citizen! Too bad you arent a criminal and wouldnt care about attempting to follow the law.

· Registered
396 Posts
Just an idea but...do not know how far you are driving, but what about starting a good customer relationship with a gun shop/dealer in the area of the school...you know stop in an buy ammo, oil,spare holster each trip to and from the school. Then ask someday if he would lock up your gun in his safe till your vist at the school is over. Hey..worth a try!!

· Registered
275 Posts
Call ahead to the Campus Police, they may be able to help you. It is more likely as a SUNY school that IF they allow firearms on campus, it will be long guns only and it will be required that you make a direct path from off campus to the police department, log the weapon in, then when you sign it out be ready to get directly off of campus. I believe there is a SUNY policy that does not allow firearms on campuses except if they are granted permission from the president of the institution. I am uncertain how some SUNY schools are able to allow any firearms on their campuses at all with how ridiculous some of the policies are relating to firearms.

If you do end up storing any firearms on campus, do not expect to be able to come and go freely to the office, as they will help as soon as they can, but signing a weapon in or out of the armory will fall lower in priority to almost all other things. Try to get to know a few of the officers and the more they know you the better a chance you have of being helped more.

· Registered
387 Posts
I went to college in a Rocky Mountain state. Kept my pistols (and other guns) with me in the dorm (not registered, no permit, nothing). Didn't think twice. Now that I live here in NY and am paranoid about laws I'm breaking without realizing they exist, and after reading this thread, I just checked the schools policies to see if I was blissfully ignorant or what.

Turns out my memories of living in a free country (outside of NY) weren't delusions. Found out state law there is that dorms are personal residences, and colleges can't make any policies counter to state law regarding firearms, and so I was completely legal. Again, this was not NY, but a state a couple thousand miles away with politicians that wear weird underwear, but pass laws that mostly make sense and uphold the 2nd amendment.

· Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How far away is the local PD (for storing it)? I think calling ahead to the campus PD and attempting to make arrangement with them is a great idea. Let us know how it goes and what you decide...BTW, this is why strict gun laws are working so well for the law abiding citizen! Too bad you arent a criminal and wouldnt care about attempting to follow the law.
Hmm I didnt even THINK of the ON CAMPUS police, I was thinking of the local PD off campus, village or town PD........I will have to do some checking around when Im up there. My wife thinks Im an idiot...but ya know....what a good law abiding citizen to do 5hrs up...5 hrs back...thats alot of to be without it for 4 hrs on campus ya know. But again, The laws are indeed working for us. I dont plan to take up as wife and daughter nervous first time and all but I think I will stake a stroll to campus PD when they are hanging up her 15,000 suitcases of CLOTHES....

man being a good guys is hard work! its like having REALLY strict parents!!

· Registered
258 Posts
Well if you change your mind I would highly recommend calling the local PD and telling them your situation. They will likely be more than happy to lock up your pistol for a few hours in order to keep you legal just as long as you present it to them properly.

· Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well ofcourse I did not carry and a call to the Town police yeilded me to call back to talk to the chief, that it was his call. Iv left another message and an email with no reply. If I dont here back I may try to campus police, they are right next to her dorm. Im starting to think its not something they want to do...we will see, I cant count them out yet. It was only thursday that I asked.

I should also see about a local shop, alway need ammo anyways..maybe I can leave with them and buy some ammo each time I go up. I will keep you all posted.

· Registered
2,913 Posts
I don't see a reason to have a handgun on any campus,for any reason.....Keep in mind news agencies have sensationalized the living hell out of these shootings recently......Look at how many daily activities are performed by normal citizens on a regular basis without incident....I have a full CCW and am in a wheelchair,but I don't feel the need to carry a gun on me 24/7,I mean why ?? Incase ?? Incase what ?? I think people are getting a little carried away with this must have stuff based on speculation.....But if that is what you want to do,by all means go for it,i'm not telling you what you should do,your an adult I am just pointing out a few things.

· Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
received a very nice response from the chief. He said he was out of town. Anyways they would be happy to store my firearm if I wish to travel onto campus. Just stop in and the boys will have a few forms for you to sign and a welcome to potsdam. Very nice. Campus police said go to the main police department. no weapons at all here on campus.

Very nice of them. I little investigative work but its all part of NOT being a criminal........

Hope this helps anyone. I would hope many other college town police do the same.

· Registered
5,116 Posts
i go back to school in 3 days, SUNYIT, and its upsetting knowing i cant carry for months on end now and wont be even able to shoot. i live 3 hours away so going home for a weekend to shoot isnt an option either. i wish campus carry was legal.
as in Utica/Rome? Bill at K&K might let you store there...not sure.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.