New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 12 pre-ban Adventure Line 20rd mags I want to disassemble and re-finish.....But I cant get the floorplate's off.....Anyone know what I am missing here ??? Thank you.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
There's a small tab on the floorplate toward the rear of the mag. Stick a very small flat blade screwdriver between that and the mag body, gently pry up (away from the mag body), and the floorplate will slide right off.

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
He is talking about 20 rounders. Not 30s.
For 20s you can stick the tip of a 223 or better yet a skinny hex wrench into the hole on the bottom which depresses the tab that has a small piece of metal that sticks through and holds the floor plate in place. Then just slide the floor plate off to the rear of the mag.

If you just try prying and sliding it off, you will break the tabs and junk the mag before it is removable .

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He is talking about 20 rounders. Not 30s.
For 20s you can stick the tip of a 223 or better yet a skinny hex wrench into the hole on the bottom which depresses the tab that has a small piece of metal that sticks through and holds the floor plate in place. Then just slide the floor plate off to the rear of the mag.

If you just try prying and sliding it off, you will break the tabs and junk the mag before it is removable .
Yup....That did the trick.....!! One more question......Will the Magpul PMAG Ranger Floorplate's fit these ?? I wanted to replace the old ones with them once I get them re-finished.....Thank you gentlemen !

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Yup....That did the trick.....!! One more question......Will the Magpul PMAG Ranger Floorplate's fit these ?? I wanted to replace the old ones with them once I get them re-finished.....Thank you gentlemen !
For the Ranger plates to fit 20 rounders you will need to remove that tab inside the mag well so the "inner" plate of the ranger can fit in the cavity. I just put the old time Mag-pulls on mine and saved the ranger plates for the 30's.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info guys.....I appreciate it...!

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For the Ranger plates to fit 20 rounders you will need to remove that tab inside the mag well so the "inner" plate of the ranger can fit in the cavity. I just put the old time Mag-pulls on mine and saved the ranger plates for the 30's.
Could you please send me a link where I can buy the "Old" Magpul plates and what they look like ??? Thank you !

·
Registered
1,188 Posts

·
R.I.P. to our friend PY-3-21-2016
5,474 Posts
I have 12 pre-ban Adventure Line 20rd mags I want to disassemble and re-finish.....But I cant get the floorplate's off.....Anyone know what I am missing here ??? Thank you.
What coating are you planning to use to "refinish?" Rattle can painting them is a mistake. Dry moly is the way to go. What the original finish was over the anodizing underneath.

Green Font Liquid Transparency Brand

Link for a refinishing project like this:

http://www.longislandfirearms.com/forum/m-1304433717.5094/

Also, if you replace the floor plates with Ranger plates how would you prove that these are Adventure Line mags and thus pre-ban?

·
Head Fapper
1,216 Posts
Also, if you replace the floor plates with Ranger plates how would you prove that these are Adventure Line mags and thus pre-ban?
It's not his job to prove they're pre-ban Adventure Lines. It's the DA's shop to prove they're not.

I'd just keep the stock floorplates in your range bag. Not like an average cop is going to know the difference. They'll prolly arrest either way and let the DA figure it out later.

Ahh, the risks we take while being completely law-abiding citizens in this state.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's not his job to prove they're pre-ban Adventure Lines. It's the DA's shop to prove they're not.

I'd just keep the stock floorplates in your range bag. Not like an average cop is going to know the difference. They'll prolly arrest either way and let the DA figure it out later.

Ahh, the risks we take while being completely law-abiding citizens in this state.
My thoughts exactly.......I planned on keeping all of the floor plates in my bag,that way if there is any question I will have proof......Like you said,I doubt a LEO would question a person unless there are doing something stupid and if they did I doubt they would check the mags,like you said I would probably get arrested anyway and then I would make a few coins for wrongful prosecution.....:)

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What coating are you planning to use to "refinish?" Rattle can painting them is a mistake. Dry moly is the way to go. What the original finish was over the anodizing underneath.

View attachment 9227

Link for a refinishing project like this:

pre ban magazine refinish project - Long Island Firearms

I am using a 2 step treatment on them....Brake Caliper paint......

·
Registered
75 Posts
Isn't perma-slick (or something like that) an original finish for mags? Heard it is very durable and pretty easy to do. I don't know anything about brake caliper paint but it's probably not designed I stand up to being inserted into magwells. Just a thought.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Thanks for the link! I will pick some of that up my next grainger trip.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Isn't perma-slick (or something like that) an original finish for mags? Heard it is very durable and pretty easy to do. I don't know anything about brake caliper paint but it's probably not designed I stand up to being inserted into magwells. Just a thought.
It's Perma-Silk G.......It cost's about $17 a can.....I think i am going to go that route,I found a couple places that do pro refinishing but at a cost of $40-$60 EACH mag,no thank you....You can buy that Perma-Silk G from the manufacturer...... http://www.neelyindustries.com/p-270...rosol-can.aspx ..........Geezzzz,damn this communist state we live in for making us jump through hoops....!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts