New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased and picked up a 2010 NIB Model 94 revolver. The trigger pull is tough when it comes to DA, but at the range, taking my time, single action is surprisingly accurate at 50 ft. Nice groupings and it is nice not to have to pick up my brass all the time. Even the girlfriend loves it. Admittedly, it is a .22, but it does carry concealed very comfortably. For less than $300 bucks, I am very happy with it. I thought about having some trigger work done but the gunsmiths I spoke to have all been consistent - there is not much to be done. The best advice so far? Shoot it often and get a decent amount of rounds through it.

This has completely revived my love for revolvers - an S&W airwieght is most likely my next purchase. Everyone has their own personal favorites but I had forgotten how much I enjoyed the simplicity of a revolver. Gun came with a lifetime warranty as well, which I was surprised to see (used to that being an S&W trademark - clearly, I was wrong!).

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
I've focused specifically on trigger work for many years now (most specialized in S&W revolvers in fact), and I would say there is always 'something' that can be done to factory stock triggers. It is true though that I've commonly heard of generally less than stellar results with work done to the 94/941 series, which are often regarded as having pretty bad DA pulls.

Spring swaps alone can work wonders in some guns, but PROPER spring balancing is a more complicated science than some would have you believe. Unless you really know what you're doing, and have a workshop that you can test fire guns in at home, there's too much trial and error required. Throwing in a spring kit is very easy, but it's not going to have great results (and at worst you get light strikes, etc.) unless you can do fine tuning to them. Besides that, one major factor here, and with working on that gun in general, is that the 9-shot cylinder presents a somewhat different mechanical requirement (to generate hammer inertia enough to ensure primer ignition) than a more standard 6 shot revolver. So, that being said I'd leave the springs alone in that particular gun.

Now, proper stoning and polishing (the heart of any real trigger job), if done correctly, will improve ANY trigger. There is room here though to really mess up your gun as well. Definitely DO NOT play with any engagement surfaces unless you're quite clear on exactly what you are doing. Have I done this without the proper jigs ?.. yes. Should it be done ? NO. What you can do though is stone and polish high or gritty points of contact surfaces. This though should not be done until the gun has been cycled quite a bit, so that you can identify surfaces showing points of imbalanced wear.

What I would actually highly suggest to you on that particular firearm would be to first disassemble it completely. If you've never done this before it can be mildly daunting, but it's FAR easier to do with a revolver than with most semi-autos.. and frankly for that reason it's a good place to start if you're not comfortable detail stripping your guns. Anyway, after disassembly you'll want to clean every surface well (especially any contact surfaces). There's likely to be preservatives on the internals which can gum up your works a little, even if you cant see them. When everything is good and clean, LIGHTLY lubricate everything (again, especially contact surfaces) and put it all back together. Then get yourself some snapcaps and use them to dry-fire the gun a good amount. By 'a good amount', I mean maybe somewhere around 500 complete DA trigger pulls at a minimum. Then, rinse and repeat the detail strip and cleaning process to remove any built up metal particles. This is important to do again because stray metal particles in the works can not only make your trigger pull worse, but cause irregular wear on engagement surfaces. This should have improved your trigger pull somewhat. Only after that whole process had been done a few times that would I consider any stoning and such.

·
Registered
6,384 Posts
Just purchased and picked up a 2010 NIB Model 94 revolver. The trigger pull is tough when it comes to DA, but at the range, taking my time, single action is surprisingly accurate at 50 ft. Nice groupings and it is nice not to have to pick up my brass all the time. Even the girlfriend loves it. Admittedly, it is a .22, but it does carry concealed very comfortably. For less than $300 bucks, I am very happy with it. I thought about having some trigger work done but the gunsmiths I spoke to have all been consistent - there is not much to be done. The best advice so far? Shoot it often and get a decent amount of rounds through it.

This has completely revived my love for revolvers - an S&W airwieght is most likely my next purchase. Everyone has their own personal favorites but I had forgotten how much I enjoyed the simplicity of a revolver. Gun came with a lifetime warranty as well, which I was surprised to see (used to that being an S&W trademark - clearly, I was wrong!).
Others here take a liking to revolvers also. My guns need to have soul. ;)
http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/handguns/52810-kind-sad-really.html

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did not see this response until now; THANK YOU. Excellcent, excellent advise - I will let you know the results. Again, much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I just bought a Tauras model 94 with a five inch barrel, can't tell you much about it, I had it about for a couple of weeks and took it out just to shoot it yesterday. I shot nine 22 shots through it just to see if it worked, mine is stainless and the only reason I bought it is it is built like a Ruger Sp101, nice & slim and seems to be nicely built. It cost me $380 with taxes, used in nice shape and I got a western style holster for free. Plus I like it being a nine shot. I'm sure I'll like it once I get to play with it and get the feel of it. I like the Tauras Key they have to make it un-operateable, Personally I'll never use it, but I like it over a gun-lock that you'll never use at all.

What are your plans for you handgun? I bought mine just for plinking. I have a Ruger Single-six 22LR/22mag and two Ruger Mark 2s all stainless.I will be buying a Ruger SP101 - 22LR and I want a Sig Sauer 22LR Mosquito.

I have the S&W 642 airweight 38spl + P and love it, I bought it for a second back up pistol but ended useing it as an everyday carry gun in my front right pants pocket around my home town of 15,000. When I travel to the larger cities I carry a 357 revolver, or my Colt 1911- 45acpplus the 38 or my Kahr PM9. . I'm looking at a S&W 340 stainless - hammerless 357 at a local gun shop - $499 used and only 60 shells down the tube.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts