New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried 2X now to add a barrel to my permit. The first time I was told I needed a reciept or a paper stating what I wanted to add. The second time I was told I need to do a transfer form to put the barrel on my permit. I am getting pretty frustrated. Can anyone letr me know exactly what I have to do.It doesnt seem the clerks office people know what to do. The frame is already registered on my permit. Thanks

·
Registered
876 Posts
I would think that if the frame is registered, that is all they need to know. You are registering the serial number, not the caliber. If your county can't give you the answer, they need to contact someone who can. If it were me, I would just buy the barrel that I wanted and leave it at that. The serial number never changes. So what do guys who have 22 conversion kits do with their permit? Are they registering the same gun twice, I bet they don't

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have both my contenders registered as frame only. None of their business how many barrels I own.

·
Registered
894 Posts
If you have the clerk enter the word 'multi' , (for multiple calibers) you should be covered. That is what they did for me in Oneida county. Contenders have their own headaches, because of the nature of the beasts. If a Contender comes into NY state as a carbine - it can then NEVER be registered as a pistol, (this was ruled on a short time ago by the courts). I wanted to do this a while back with a custom carbine frame I had found -- after much arguing with the pistol office guys, they called a State Police Major, in Albany, ( Head of the Pistol Licensing Dept.) and let me talk to him right from their office. He told me, can't do it, not legal, yet on some of the T/C Contender boards, you will find county jurisdictions in NY state that have allowed carbines to be re-registered as pistols, to use the shorter barrels. Go for the 'multi-caliber listing, Don't TRY to register an original carbine frame as a pistol frame -- although your county people may go along with it -- it is, and has been ruled ILLEGAL.
Good luck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I registered the frame to my pistol permit I asked about the "multicaliber" . They told me then they couldnt do that any more. She also said its not a problem adding barrels either. I emailed the county clerk herself. Maybe she can give me the right answer.

·
Registered
894 Posts
buckfever - Let us know how you make out in this - inquiring Contender owners want to know.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I finally talked to someone from the county clerk today. She said all I need is a written receipt for the barrel. That's what I was told the first time I was there.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
As long as you have a receipt you should be ok. You might have to explain it to the cashier a few times though. I am going back there maybe Tuesday to try again. I will let you know how I make out
Pretty sad when you have to explain yourself several times to the person taking the money and is supposed to know the laws huh ?? FUBAR

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pretty sad when you have to explain yourself several times to the person taking the money and is supposed to know the laws huh ?? FUBAR
Yes it is. I had to explain it again when I made back to the clerks office to add the barrel. At least this time I could use the name of the woman who handles the pistol permit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts