New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an upper coming in the mail, it comes with a flash hider, non pinned, which I will be removing.

I have a low profile thread protector I want to add to the rifle, due to my hatred for muzzle brakes. My friend has a TIG and can weld it on for me, is it ok to just stitch weld a muzzle device on?

I really don't want to pin because I really don't want to have it walk on me and get stuck in there should I ever have to remove it.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
I think you still have to pin it but pin it in the joint so it is not touching the threads. It is even a stronger but easier to remove.
Don't know what others might think. Did you consider a small linear design.?no blast, no extra noise.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
During the federal ban the ATF said it could be blind pinned and welded over, welded around the circumference or tack welded in 4 equal spaced welds around the circumference if I recall correctly.

NY does not say what is OK and what is not but if you're going to weld it I would use what they recommended.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
+1 on Jeff's words

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I figured it would be fine with a visible weld on it.

Hell, I would probably be fine with no weld on it, but why chance it.

G

·
How about looking for a barrel that has no threads at all? They are more difficult to find but they do exist and the total lack of threads puts you in complete and unquestionable compliance with NY State Law.

Article 265, Section 22
"Assault weapon" means (a) a semiautomatic rifle that has an
ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the
following characteristics:
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of
the weapon;
(iii) a bayonet mount;
(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a
flash suppressor;

(v) a grenade launcher; or……………

Imagine for a moment a malicious prosecutor arguing that even though there was a welded and or pinned cover over the threads those forbidden threads still exist therefore the accused (you) is guilty of Criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree, a class A misdemeanor.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Pretty sure that's been tried and failed on an ATF and legalese level.
Who frikkin knows what NY would try to pull, but ATF letters (if you can dredge them up anymore on thier site) and policy of the time indicate that a perm'd muzzle device negates the threads underneath as you cannot unscrew the muzzle device, therefore the threads are rendered completely 'inert' to the point of no different than not being there at all.

G

·
So, let's say you've got an ounce of heroin in the middle of a solid Lucite cube. (heroin thereby rendered "inert")
Would that protect you from a possession charge?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I dunno.
Can someone prove its heroin without breaching the containment of the ball? (not hearsay, but actual proof)
Does it's containment in that fashion confirm its been rendered unobtainable by reasonable means?

There's thousands of rifles in NY with permed muzzle devices but I don't recall there being many heroin filled bowling balls floating around though, so its not really a comparitor now is it.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
If the only precedent was the United States government confirming the fact that it would not be a posession of heroin charge under a now defunct federal law then I wouldn't worry about it unless NYS made a ruling otherwise.

If you're going to worry about whether or not a federal AWB compliant AR-15 is legal under the penal law of NY State then you probably shouldn't own an AR-15 at all because the NYS laws make posession of a post ban copy of <insert list of AR-15 and other rifle clones here> illegal too. Everyone says as long as the receiver isn't roll-marked "AR-15" you're fine but NY has never said anyting about that as far as I know. Is my post-ban Sabre Defense AR a "copy of" the rifles listed in the law?

·
Registered
725 Posts
If the only precedent was the United States government confirming the fact that it would not be a posession of heroin charge under a now defunct federal law then I wouldn't worry about it unless NYS made a ruling otherwise.

If you're going to worry about whether or not a federal AWB compliant AR-15 is legal under the penal law of NY State then you probably shouldn't own an AR-15 at all because the NYS laws make posession of a post ban copy of <insert list of AR-15 and other rifle clones here> illegal too. Everyone says as long as the receiver isn't roll-marked "AR-15" you're fine but NY has never said anyting about that as far as I know. Is my post-ban Sabre Defense AR a "copy of" the rifles listed in the law?
This is what I always thought, the way I read it, and couldn't understand how we were getting away with it. Never questioned it cuz I figured I'd get run out of the state :)

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Is my post-ban Sabre Defense AR a "copy of" the rifles listed in the law?
No more than a Chevy is a copy of a Ford.

Colt already tried that game years ago and lost as the defendant provided enough differences in numerous parts/materials/tolerances to prove they were not the same nor a direct copy.
They just looked and functioned in a simular manner.

I wish I could dredge it up again, but basically Colt got thier ass kicked.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts