New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am purchasing a lower receiver from an FFL and building a pistol wondering if anybody knows the process to put this pistol on my permit As the lower receiver is multi caliber.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It really depends on your county some counties will put the word multi under caliber mine for example in Sullivan would not
They put .223/5.56 on mine

A lot of counties will not put any of those calibers on a permit period

However, I did do a lot of research on the subject and as long as it has the magazine locked in place and non-removable it is legal

Just a reminder I'm not a lawyer

I hope your county does put it on for you

Good luck

·
Registered
192 Posts
Under the two latest NY Bills, ghost gun and etc they snuck in a portion that prohibits assembly of firearms by anyone other than a FFL. That’s not just ghost guns it’s all firearms.
I really don’t get it because the firearms owner/ user has to be able to break down the firearm for cleaning and reassemble it. The wording is vague (just like the safe act) but I’d think a first time assembly would require a FFL. I also believe reading in prior posts that the receiver had to have been purchased/registered as a pistol lower. Buying just a lower is usually an “other” and may be a problem. As stated above must be a pinned mag.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am in yates . I'll find out soon. thanks for your comment
I'll be kind and simple, what you are doing is manufacturing. This requires a Class 7 FFL.
IN NYC and even NYS you will be arrested if you proceed that way.
I'll be kind and simple, what you are doing is manufacturing. This requires a Class 7 FFL.
IN NYC and even NYS you will be arrested if you proceed that way.
.. it's perfectly legal to build your own rifle/pistol. the lower is purchased through a ffl and is serialized
Under the two latest NY Bills, ghost gun and etc they snuck in a portion that prohibits assembly of firearms by anyone other than a FFL. That’s not just ghost guns it’s all firearms.
I really don’t get it because the firearms owner/ user has to be able to break down the firearm for cleaning and reassemble it. The wording is vague (just like the safe act) but I’d think a first time assembly would require a FFL. I also believe reading in prior posts that the receiver had to have been purchased/registered as a pistol lower. Buying just a lower is usually an “other” and may be a problem. As stated above must be a pinned mag.
they snuck in a portion that prohibits assembly of firearms by anyone other than a FFL..... This part was removed from the bill

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am purchasing a lower receiver from an FFL and building a pistol wondering if anybody knows the process to put this pistol on my permit As the lower receiver is multi caliber.
if its a 100% complete lower then its as simple as adding a pistol. If 80% no clue

Reactions: Ndrossm

·
Registered
192 Posts
I am in yates . I'll find out soon. thanks for your comment

they snuck in a portion that prohibits assembly of firearms by anyone other than a FFL..... This part was removed from the bill
This is what was signed into law: MANUFACTURE OR ASSEMBLY !
"The Jose Webster Untraceable Firearms Act" sponsored by Senator Brad Hoylman and Assemblymember Linda Rosenthal, prohibits the sale and possession of unregistered ghost guns and ensures law enforcement will be able to track the manufacture and sale of all guns in New York. The legislation:
  • Defines a “ghost gun” as any firearm, rifle, or shotgun that isn’t serialized and registered in accordance with either state or federal law
  • Prohibits the possession of ghost guns by anyone but a licensed gunsmith
  • Prohibits the sale of ghost guns entirely
  • Prohibits the manufacture or assembly of a firearm, rifle, or shotgun by anyone other than a licensed gunsmith
  • Requires New York gunsmiths to serialize all firearms, rifles, shotguns, or unfinished frames or receivers they manufacture or assemble, and to register any such gun, or unfinished frame or receiver that isn’t otherwise covered by federal serialization law with the Division of State Police

·
Registered
231 Posts
to answer your question it has to go by weight. The exact weight I’m not sure but I know it’s dumb light. I think you can also pin the mag taking the weight limit out of the picture. But for the right answer I would contact the pistol permit office on adding it to your permit about the multi caliber part. And for the firearm questions in general contact your ffl. They would know the most.

Don’t listen to the people who think they know everything, just ask an ffl. They sell “others” everyday, as well as lower receivers being built. If this was illegal the ATF would stop it during their routine audit. Do yourself a favor and just ask the source. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is what was signed into law: MANUFACTURE OR ASSEMBLY !
"The Jose Webster Untraceable Firearms Act" sponsored by Senator Brad Hoylman and Assemblymember Linda Rosenthal, prohibits the sale and possession of unregistered ghost guns and ensures law enforcement will be able to track the manufacture and sale of all guns in New York. The legislation:
  • Defines a “ghost gun” as any firearm, rifle, or shotgun that isn’t serialized and registered in accordance with either state or federal law
  • Prohibits the possession of ghost guns by anyone but a licensed gunsmith
  • Prohibits the sale of ghost guns entirely
  • Prohibits the manufacture or assembly of a firearm, rifle, or shotgun by anyone other than a licensed gunsmith
  • Requires New York gunsmiths to serialize all firearms, rifles, shotguns, or unfinished frames or receivers they manufacture or assemble, and to register any such gun, or unfinished frame or receiver that isn’t otherwise covered by federal serialization law with the Division of State Police
IProhibits the manufacture or assembly of a firearm, rifle, or shotgun by anyone other than a licensed gunsmith... this was taken out of the bill.... research

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
to answer your question it has to go by weight. The exact weight I’m not sure but I know it’s dumb light. I think you can also pin the mag taking the weight limit out of the picture. But for the right answer I would contact the pistol permit office on adding it to your permit about the multi caliber part. And for the firearm questions in general contact your ffl. They would know the most.

Don’t listen to the people who think they know everything, just ask an ffl. They sell “others” everyday, as well as lower receivers being built. If this was illegal the ATF would stop it during their routine audit. Do yourself a favor and just ask the source. Good luck.
Thank you . Was actually at my ffl today good to go

·
Registered
19 Posts

Depends on County, and the "ask permitting office" question doesn't always work out, in my county no one knew what I was even talking about, I eventually spoke with the state police firearms division to get my answers on pistols in NY.

As far as caliber on your permit, I had to add each caliber individually that i intended to shoot on that lower, my county won't add "multi". Makes me happy to see NY'ers building/buying pistols.
Goodluck and happy shooting!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts