New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any pet AA#7 .38Spl loads out there for 158SWC cast boolits? Lyman 49 lists loads for lighter and heavier bullets but not 158gr.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
I would bring you some 38 special powder on my next trip to the city. I'm afraid I would be charged with having some crazy weapon if i did that though. I'm sure smokeless powder is probably illegal there.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know I'm reaching for straws here unfortunately. This damn powder shortage is killing me. I did manage to get a bunch of AA#7 though, enough to last me awhile. I can load 9mm and .45ACP with it, and thought it was good for my preferred .38spl load also. Oh well. :(

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
I know I'm reaching for straws here unfortunately. This damn powder shortage is killing me. I did manage to get a bunch of AA#7 though, enough to last me awhile. I can load 9mm and .45ACP with it, and thought it was good for my preferred .38spl load also. Oh well. :(
I have been making due with some odd recipes also. It's getting annoying!

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Powder Valley just literally put up 8#'ers of Clay Dot and Promo, both useable in handgun loads.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I am making some pet loads with AA #5 (5 grains for 158 grain). AA #7 is a little slower. There are plenty of recipes for the 40 S&W 165 grain bullet that uses AA #7. I am sure there is a load for 38 special. More likely they fall in the +P category. If that is even an option for you.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I grabbed an 8#'er of Promo. According to what I've read it uses Red Dot load data, which exists for .38Spl and .45 ACP. I'll probably use it for those and keep my AA#7 for 9mm. For now, those are the only calibers I'm reloading. When I have money to spend again, I'll start loading .30-06 and 7.62x39.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
I'm in the basement smoking a cigar and loading .38 special right now. Kidding about the cigar...

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
This is out of an old...at least 20 years... Accurate Arms load data book that used to come with the powder.

38 special 4" bbl
158 cast No.7 7.5 gr. reduce starting 10%

38 special +P 8.8 gr.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
After getting miserable results with HS6 in standard pressure 38spl loads, I wish you luck with the slower AA7. Even tight crimps, magnum primers and relatively hot loads still left me cleaning unburnt powder off my hands and from under the ejector.

If you have a 357 that you are shooting 38spl out of, get some 357 brass and then you are back in the game. Get up into the 30Kpsi chamber pressure range and I think AA7 is going to be a good performer.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm going to use the Promo for .38 Spl. Lots of data out there for it. I'm shooting a Chief's Special, so not much room for error.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I'm going to use the Promo for .38 Spl. Lots of data out there for it. I'm shooting a Chief's Special, so not much room for error.
With reloading, I have found you are better off with the right powder for the job. I have never been happy with the results when I tried to "make something work".

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Maybe you are just looking at this the wrong way. Instead of thinking of this as a problem buying powder, think of it as an opportunity to buy a .357 or 10mm to be able use the powder you have already invested in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts