New York Firearms Forum banner

A website i started,

3K views 26 replies 20 participants last post by  DannyDifalco 
#1 · (Edited)
Its a work in progress obviously. Took me like 3 hours so far. Tell me what you think and what i should change/add? Thanks!
www.repealnyawb.com

#3 ·
IMO, Get rid of the second amendment. Yes, it's important and is the root of our fundamental right, but convincing anyone will take something else, they've already heard that and if they are anti-gun aren't convinced by it. Possibly because scary looking guns are only for regulated militias and not the general public, which is affected by the ban.

I would look into statistics that are from reliable sources like FBI crime stats. Maybe compare national stats before, during and after the federal ban. Maybe also compare states with AWB laws to those without.

Also, I would simplify the AWB law link. That PDF is all gun laws. If your site is about the AWB then maybe stick to copying and pasting the parts of the NYS penal code that pertain only to the AWB.

Just my 2 cents.

#5 ·
darkvibe has a point. or just make it small also drop the ARs and AKs or make it more subtle. The regulated militia should be all of us the problem we are not really militia and everything but regulated.
I like your idea though, maybe would be a good entry point to sign up to understand the rights AND OBLIGATIONS of a militia. This could be the Rochester chapter of the federal militia. I would not want to see there some folks I have seen though. They lack the character for this type of initiative.
It is all the fault of the system. I think a marksmanship program should be available in every school and military service or similar social services should be mandatory for every young american.

#14 · (Edited)
... and military service or similar social services should be mandatory for every young american.
As a currently serving service member, please don't do this. I have seen the quality of conscripted military members while working in Israel a few years ago. It is not a pretty site. The all volunteer force is what works best. While I understand and agree with your intent, actually putting it into action is not a good plan.

Now back to the point of this thread - The website:

For some reason (may be my version of IE) all the text is black on a pretty dark background and I cant' see most of the text. One of the posts above discussed talking about what people care about now, and making it relevant. How 'bout discussing the money that would (could) be made by retailers if the flood gates were opened up and people weren't restricted from purchasing things because they 'looked scary' which is all the AWB is anyway.

The old picture of a mini-14 vs an AR based firearm. Ask which is more deadly, put the names up next to the pictures, then explain they are basically the same gun, but just look differently.

Use sunset imagery and verbiage similar to the Federal AWB sunsetting. I could go on and on with this stuff, but that's all I have for now. I have a feeling the NSSF would have some pretty good information to use as well.

Keep up the good work!

#6 ·
Also (sorry dont remember where it is) but I know there is a report the FBI wrote and presented to congress saying the AWB did not change anything. I believe there recomendation was to limit magazine capacity.

You could also break the site into different sections. For example a section with information for people who dont care one way or the other on the issue. There are a lot of people who are just indifferent and a section that can give them interesting information to make them care would be good.
You could then have a specific law section.

Like Meketrefe said above taking down the AR's and AK's would be good to be more subtle on the issue.

Lastly when making your arguments use what people care about at the time. Right now money is an issue so finding arguments why getting rid of the law would save tax payers money would also be a plus.

#7 ·
I genuinely applaud your efforts to help all of us out! Overall, I feel it is coming along well, and I agree with the other comments above... One thing I personally recognize from one human to another is the level of professionalism involved... As an example, there's a show on Discovery called Weed Wars, and it's about the biggest dispensary in CA... Anyway, point being, we all know they are just a bunch of potheads, BUT they keep themselves in a very profressional manner... referring to medicine, prescriptions, patients, etc... And I just feel like keeping it professional looking is the best way to go... just we all make sure we call it a magazine, and "LCAFD" is really just a standard mag, etc

I really like Jeff's ideas... and it's not just a kiss-a-mods-ass thing... if you go back thru his posts overtime, he is a vault of valuable information and tends to stick to the facts and be a straight shooter and I really respect his thoughts & opinions, and I agree that that is how you should present this site

#8 ·
I really like Jeff's ideas... and it's not just a kiss-a-mods-ass thing... if you go back thru his posts overtime, he is a vault of valuable information and tends to stick to the facts and be a straight shooter and I really respect his thoughts & opinions, and I agree that that is how you should present this site
On another forum I was called "the voice of reason" lol. It was Protonus on roclife i think.

#12 ·
Thank you for doing something to try and help everyone in NYS that thinks the AWB is wrong and not really doing anything but stoping the innocent.

#15 ·
There goes meketrefe with this pro-big government stance again. He thinks the government has the right to force free US citizens to do its bidding? Give me a break.

Now, on the topic at hand, the website looks great. I think you're just spinning your tires in the mud, but hey, let it not be said that we did nothing, right?

#19 · (Edited)
Under news, I clicked the first link to CBS about the poll, then I had to use the back button in the browser to get back to your site. You should have it so that links will open in a new window or tab.

Also, in the Act Now section, it might be handy to have a sample letter already written. I'm not very good at putting words on paper, so it might be helpful to others as well.

Finally, under the Contact tab, make your email clickable so one doesn't have to copy your address and paste it into an email.

Looks like a good start!

#20 ·
I say give a section called facts, I see alot of these sorts of sites and I find them more filled with hot air and cow fecal material than a good hard reason why I should get behind it.

You should on the home page or in a tab give a list of statistics, reasoning, and hard facts. And I would put in there somewhere some stories about how firearms save the lives of their owners.

Other than that, amazing start to something we really in truly need

My girlfriend and I are Computer Science majors if you have technical questions we would be happy to help you out!

#23 ·
Thanks for doing this. I've added your site to my favorites and will be returning.

I agree in general with what has been suggested above, especially about being professional and presenting facts. We don't need to win over the gun-totin' ******* demographic. We need to convince the middle class voting New Yorkers who don't personally have much interest in owning guns, especially scary black ones. We need to show them why the AWB does more harm than good, wastes money, imperils honest, law-abiding citizens, and just doesn't make sense.

I would love to see a "choose the banned gun" section, which pairs up two seemingly identical rifles and asks the visitor to determine which one is banned in NY. It could really make our point if enough people were to see that you can have two identical looking rifles, firing the same ammunition, and one is banned while the other is perfectly legal. You could also pair some fairly innocent looking guns that fail the AWB test with some really mean looking guns that are legal in NY.

Anyway, I like what you're doing. Send me a PM if you'd like help developing content. This seems like a worthy endeavor.

#25 ·
That may just give the anti-gun morons the idea to ban those "mean looking" legal guns!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.