New York Firearms Forum banner

A new angle for pressure to fight SAFE Act ?

2K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  cyoung 
#1 ·
I'm taking a cue from the Town of Scoharie and have drafted/sent the following letter to Monroe County Clerk and other executives. Feel free to use but please alter so it doesn't look like we are just copying and pasting without any thought.

I'm interested in the forum members thoughts on applying pressure from the financial side.

Please be gentle on me...I am pretty sure the information is accurate and as grammatically correct as I can make it.

Ms Dinolfo,

First I wanted to thank you for your participation in the resolution against the recently passed New York SAFE ACT made by the New York State Association of County Clerks. I know I'm making an assumption that you voted as part of that group to condemn the bill but I'm thinking it's a pretty good bet that you did. I have also included a link at the end of this email for the website that documents the current list of all known opposition resolutions.

I am writing you today to understand if your office has done any sort of estimate as to the increased tax burden put on the county residents due to this unfunded mandate.

Not only do I oppose this bill but to add insult to injury I am paying for it not once but twice. The first place my taxes fund this bill is in the 27 million dollars set aside for the background check and tracking database. The second is as a part of my county taxes for implementation and ongoing support.

I am in effect, "paying the freight" to have my second amendment rights severely restricted. I am probably preaching to the choir but this is completely unacceptable and I think it is time a stronger message is sent to the governor, senate and assembly that passed this bill. I am requesting that Monroe County take a stand and refuse to fund the implementation and ongoing administrative costs of this bill.

Perhaps you are aware but it seems that the Scoharie town supervisors have refused to fund the implementation of the SAFE ACT (see link below).

I have copied a number of other State and county executives as I am certain there are parts of this bill that may require other departments to increase budgets as well.

Link to Scoharie article:
Schoharie Supers Won

This is the link to the ever growing list of counties, towns and agencies that have passed resolutions:
NY SAFE Resolutions | Documenting County and Town resolutions on the NY SAFE act

Thank you in advance for your consideration and time

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Monroe County Resident, Taxpayer and Voter.

cc:
Sheriff Patrick O'Flynn (John Helfer)
County Executive Maggie Brooks
Monroe County District Attorney Sandra Doorley
Monroe County Legislature President Jeffrey R. Adair
Monroe County Legislature Republican Majority Leader William W. Napier
Monroe County Legislature Democratic Minority Leader Joe Rittler
NYS Senator Joseph Robach
NYS Assemblyman David Gantt

See less See more
#3 ·
I don't know Monroe county government or how they will respond, but I think your letter is great. It's well written and gives them reason to be concerned locally. Writing any/all levels of government about our disdain for the unSAFE act is always a good thing, and the financial reasons are powerful with our current economy. They may also not have known about Schoharie's decision if not for your letter.

I read somewhere else on the forum today that "the more torpedoes we have in the water the better". I couldn't agree more. Your letter, and more importantly the financial approach, adds to what we have heading downrange.

#4 ·
i never really looked at the law in terms of our tax dollars, I think it would be a great Idea if we all sent letters and e-mails to all our county reps and defund this POS law attack it from all angles and let the liberals know we arent playing games with them. thanks Cyoung for the awesome post

#20 ·
When Canada enacted their long gun registration program they bugeted $30M. 15 years later, with over $3 BILLION spend, and only about 20% compliance, Harper was elected on a promise to end the long gun registration.. He did, and the waste stopped.

The financial angle is a very good one, and Canada is an excellent example of why the Safe Act is a money pit. Do your research on the Canadian experience, and use it to your advantage...Look! Canada tried this, it failed to prevent even one crime, or help in one investigation...and look how much it REALLY cost!

#7 ·
Send it out! This message has been out there and ive read about clerks and ccounty execs who haave addressed this issue. And as a resident, and tax payer you should absolutely tell them this. It helps to keep the pressure on!

#14 ·
Keep sending the letters, emails and calling. Monroe County's Clerk is on our side....let's keep supporting her and putting the pressure on the rest of Monroe County's elected officials. It's working, read the article.

Albany Watch

#19 ·
Perhaps I'm a little dense but how does this explain that there is no cost to local municipalities? Whether they process them quickly or take their time, they are still processing them. Am I just a complete idiot and missing something here?

"By any reasonable standard, making all forms readily available online and setting a grace period that will keep pistol permit information private until each opt-out form is processed mitigate costs to local governments."

#21 ·
So it seems no one wants to respond to my message and I'm getting a little pissed. So I've sent a follow up to my first email......let's all keep the pressure up and start pushing this issue, it's your money being wasted....start getting pissed about it...I know I am...that or I'm just becoming a cranky old man....

Good afternoon,

I am following up on the email below which was sent on March 27th. To date I have not received a single reply from any of the elected representatives included in the routing.

While I'm enthused by the recent press about the unfunded mandates and Ms. Dinolfo's request from the state, I think her department as well as the taxpayers of Monroe County deserve more pressure from those of you that have been elected to serve your constituents.

There are more counties starting to look at the financial burden and realizing they have been left holding the bag for this law. Once the momentum of push back by county clerks begins, I suspect it will continue with the same force as the declarations opposing the SAFE Act have in the past 2 months (See the latest list at NY SAFE Resolutions | Documenting County and Town resolutions on the NY SAFE act)

I am certain that the show of support for the Monroe County resolution at the last County Legislature meeting can easily be duplicated if the public feels the financial side of this is not being taken seriously by our elected representatives.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to your response

xxxxxxxxxxx
Still a Monroe County resident, taxpayer and voter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.