New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I was invited to attend a formal with a few friends. A girl needed a date so of course I obliged.

She is from downstate and someone in the group mentioned guns. She immediately stated her opinion "OMG I hate guns!!" I asked her why and she said… "because there are no background checks and it is easy to kill someone with a gun". I then explained NY law and background checks. I mentioned that a gun is an intimate object, no different from a rock or a knife. It takes a human to turn anything into a deadly weapon. She countered and said "Even if we have background checks it is still bad because everyone starts out a good person with no record…and besides, you can't kill that many people with something like a knife" . I stood there dumfounded and just said Okay.

These are the people we are dealing with. It frustrates me beyond belief. They are all brainwashed by the media, especially on the idea of a background check free america. I am not saying I agree or disagree with background checks. But it is the fact that she didn't know they existed and had the audacity to attempt to argue back even though she lost the argument.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
haha lets not go that far. She was actually from westchester like you.
From Westchester thats pretty bad, they been brainwashing here for years. Hilary lives here to and I bet shes her idol/hero. You find all the good babes south of the Mason-Dixon line! You can find some up hear but they usually need some tweaking to get them to run right.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
Westchester is considered downstate? Damn, I must be subterranean. :)

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
If she was hot, I'd of told her I was with the Brady Campaign..................then showed her my GOA membership AFTER the deed was done! ;)

·
Registered
2,442 Posts

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Westchester is considered downstate? Damn, I must be subterranean. :)
Yep.. Westchester is downstate. I grew up in Carmel thinking it was upstate until I went to Plattsburgh for college. I was like "HOLY ****!! People do live here!" The island is now the equivalent of the 9th level of hell :)

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Chris,

Approximately how old was she? It will not work for you to try and have a discussion at an intellectual level with someone who is responding from emotion. No amount of fact (IN PUBLIC) will sway them.

You ever hung out with a chic, and in public she is saying how much she loves her guy, would not do certain things (cheat on her guy, do certain sex acts, take nude pics etc?), but then a few days later back at your place she is trying to tickle your ceiling fan with her feet?

Well SOME people who most loudly proclaim how evil and terrible guns are simply speak from a position of either fear, ignorance, what they heard, or having been the victim (1st or 3rd party) of some crime involving force + guns. Your task is to decipher what got her to that place where she is. Is it fear? Lack of knowledge? Hollywood? Something traumatic? and gently, but expertly take them thru that process where they are reacting with emotion, to where things are calmly and rationally.

I have a female friend, who was raped by her brother at gunpoint a decade ago. It will probably be another decade before she will ever be comfortable shooting a gun, and yet I know other women who have faced violence and depravity from other armed criminals, and are able to resolve this and arm themselves. Every person reacts differently to things in their lives.

Now go out there, take one for the team, and make nice with this girl. I have found that the best pro 2A women sometimes start out being liberal mouthpieces, and their arguments against other liberals are much more effective than those of a woman who was born hunting, shooting, fishing.

LHT.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Arguments with anti-gunners will only entrench them. You need to sway they by taking them to the range or out hunting. A couple of weeks ago I took my most anti-gun friend to the range. Today during breakfast he told me how he can't wait to buy a gun and wants to go again. Needless to say, I paid for breakfast.

We will never win by making people uncomfortable or arguing constitutional law.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
I had a GF for years that i took to the range, we shoot trap and her sisters husband is a swat/ sniper trainer army police guy. we argued ad nauseum about the Good guy with a gun thing. she thought it was just sound math, if you have more people shooting, more people die.
Some people just Dont want to Know! (she is as smart as the come, just has blinders on about common sense)

I think its not Smart or Dumb, its common sense really.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts