New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Senator Richie,
I would urge you to vote no on any gun control measures that come up in the Senate (example S86-2011). There are plenty of laws that restrict legal use of firearms and possession in this state. Another law restricting the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Amendment rights of New Yorker's is not needed or warranted.
I would like you to consider introducing a bill that would repeal all sections of the NY Assault Weapons Ban. This law makes no sense to keep around. Crime statistics do not support the restriction of 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Amendment rights of law abiding citizens and they do not support the continued atrocities that NY State Gun Control laws inflict on the citizen.
Since the sunset of the Federal Assault Weapons Ban production of previously banned magazines and firearms has started back up leaving citizens of New York vulnerable to price gougers, pre ban prices are two to 20 times those of post ban items. New Yorkers are also being subjected to unscrupulous people selling post ban items as pre ban items. Since there is no way to tell that items like magazines are truly pre ban item it leaves the state in the position to prove that such an item is actually illegal. It also leaves the citizen vulnerable to harassment and arrest by law enforcement officers who cannot tell or worse do not care if such items are legal or not.
The handgun restrictions in NY State should be repealed as well since the Supreme Court's Heller Decision it is only a matter of time before NY is dragged into federal court for an unconstitutional restriction to the second amendment rights of the citizens which will cost millions to defend. There is no reasonable argument to require an honest citizen to wait for in some cases up to a year to find out if they can purchase a handgun. While someone who has no regard for the law is going to get a handgun from an illegal source. These laws are not only fiscally irresponsible; they are also morally irresponsible.
Ever wonder why talented, honest people leave this state? Look at the unreasonable laws in New York and you will have your answer. Not only are gun laws ridiculous but, taxes and all the other restrictions that are written into the law that make a citizen feel like a subject. This makes the option to leave this state more appealing every day. The Empire state has the reputation of being one of the three most restrictive places to live in the United States and is often referred to as the "People's Republic Of New York". Talented, honest citizens want to live free and they will move their skills and their money to states that do not restrict their freedoms, or tax them into poverty. The Empire will eventually decay into a place where the only talent left in this state is the ability to stand in the welfare line.
I urge you to fight any further restrictions to our rights and to avoid the compromise trap when more restrictions are proposed. It is not a compromise when a bill is introduced to restrict the rights of citizens and then is reduced from a ridiculous infringement of rights to a little inconvenience in order to pass; it is a loss of freedom. Look at it this way, a bill proposed to cut off the left arm of all citizens so that they will only use their right hand is ludicrous. To compromise in the spirit of bipartisanship and reduce the amputation to just the left hand is still ludicrous and still advances the agenda to rid the state of the use of the left hand. Any compromise on the rights of a citizen is a loss of freedom and should not be considered or tolerated.
Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
982 Posts
In my opinion, the lawmakers would latch onto this

"Since there is no way to tell that items like magazines are truly pre ban item it leaves the state in the position to prove that such an item is actually illegal."

And come up with this

"Well, we should just make them all illegal then."

It's for the children.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had considered that, however it is a point in support of repealing the AWB and they had grandfathered pre ban stuff already so they are looking at millions of legally owned magazines in this state already.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I agree with you. But I think of it this way. You are thinking logically. Lawmakers do not. Imagine you are talking with the guy who believes that Guam will flip over if we put too many people on it. You used far too many words for him.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everyone knows that Guam will flip over one day because of overpopulation........ lol

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
We should all send that letter to our state senators.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts