New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Hes wants to baby the **** out of us. Its disgusting! And 10 a day? Ive never even heard of this type of incident! How are people getting within range of the take off strip to shine a lazer in the pilots eyes. Seems like security needs to be heightened at airports.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Hes wants to baby the **** out of us. Its disgusting! And 10 a day? Ive never even heard of this type of incident! How are people getting within range of the take off strip to shine a lazer in the pilots eyes. Seems like security needs to be heightened at airports.
I would say that it is possible for a laser to reach from well outside the airport boundaries.

I would also be willing to wager that it is impossible to crash a plane doing so. I think it may actually be impossible. So you can hit them from a mile away? Even if that was true, a steady eyeshot from a mile away long enough to crash a plane. No worry though, I'm sure his research on the issue will come out in a few days with actual facts and not just fear.

j/k

·
Registered
599 Posts
I would say that it is possible for a laser to reach from well outside the airport boundaries.

I would also be willing to wager that it is impossible to crash a plane doing so. I think it may actually be impossible. So you can hit them from a mile away? Even if that was true, a steady eyeshot from a mile away long enough to crash a plane. No worry though, I'm sure his research on the issue will come out in a few days with actual facts and not just fear.

j/k
But where is airport security? Does the pilot radio the tower and call security and say some dumbass is shining a lazer in his eye or does he just say **** it i cant see lets take off.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
But where is airport security? Does the pilot radio the tower and call security and say some dumbass is shining a lazer in his eye or does he just say **** it i cant see lets take off.
That's the thing. It hits him for such a short amount of time he probably says "damn kids" and continues uninterrupted.

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
You guys have it all wrong! Chucky is only looking out for us. I for one am glad he is working on things to protect all of us.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Ah, but the pilot would never know to move or avert his eyes if he was being hit with a .mil grade IR weapon laser aimed by someone using night vision to spot/aim it.

Those will mess your eyes right up in short order, like in as little as 10 minutes or so, and a person may never even know til too late.

Of course holding on target with a point focal laser at range on a moving aircraft, absolutely square to the glass to retain beam integrity through a fairly thick window, that has glare and refraction coatings, compensating for any angle in the glass to eyeball distance, and having the pilot keep the plane in place or moving slow in one direction for that timeframe while they sit in thier seat absolutely still over that period of exposure time, sure, it would be a piece of pie.

That's just commercial aircraft of course. .mil pilots have laser resistant coatings on thier visors and private pilots of little crop dusters aren't really worth the effort as they take off far too quickly at abrupt angles to try and get a beam on target and give time for burn in.

About the only way I could see there being even the remotest problem would be on a raining night with a visible laser creating a bit of dazzle in the area it hits the window, and then you're talking the need for a handheld with WAY more ass than a keyring pointer could ever provide.

Odds are higher that one of the kids who sit at the end of the runway outside the fence to play in the jet wash during take offs or landings could have a RPG or LMG than they would a laser that could have the remotest effect on a plane or pilot.

What a frikkin tool....

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
That's the thing. It hits him for such a short amount of time he probably says "damn kids" and continues uninterrupted.
He probably says "damn guns", and writes Chucky a slew of letters demanding all guns be banned. People put laser sights on guns, so ban guns and problems with "illegal" lasers vanish.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
We have had about 48 incidents of this happening at Fort Drum in the past 8 months. It is a pretty serious thing, but a public information campaign done by the FBI, NTSB and FAA should be enough.

·
Head of Bacon Operations
3,589 Posts
This is all my fault. My cat gets a laser pointer for his birthday every year. They have gotten increasingly better with each year he is on the planet, so you figure after 9 years he has quite a stash of them. He is reckless. I'll have a word with him and put him in time out.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
The fact that somebody would intentionally point a laser at a plane in an attempt to blind the pilot(s) just shows you how far down hill our society has gone. It's too bad it's so hard to catch the little ****ers doing this type of thing.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
The fact that somebody would intentionally point a laser at a plane in an attempt to blind the pilot(s) just shows you how far down hill our society has gone. It's too bad it's so hard to catch the little ****ers doing this type of thing.
It doubt it's all that difficult. Most of the little sh**s probably blab to their buddies on Facebook about it, so they leave a trail of breadcrumbs leading right to their front door. The fact is that these laser incidents are almost unheard of, and all it takes is for a news story to surface after a neighbor or someone else who happened to spot the little [email protected] using the laser previously.

·
Registered
439 Posts

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
How about a law that says you can't drive with your F ing dog on your lap? Really, see it too often WTF are these people thinking?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Really...this and soft drinks is the best he can come up with these days. Really?! Watch this guys is just also trying to get in the press as much as he can. I think he has high hopes to run for somethign higher and better someday. Hopefully even the blue state of NY will prevent that. When is his damn term up anyways..jeez.......

1 - 17 of 17 Posts