New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered one of these solar powered backup batteries last year just for the heck of it and saw it on my desk just now. I figured I would link it to you guys.

Solar Powered 2600mAh Rechargeable Battery Pack with Cellphone Adapters - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

It really is a handy little thing, you can charge it from a wall socket, or leave it in the sun to charge, when it is full it will recharge my iPod 3 times.

Great to have when the power goes out during those summer storms so we can still watch movies, read, or play games before bed.

I know it certainly doesn't substitute a generator, but it is also handy for keeping the cell phone charged when car camping. Not so much a "being prepared" item, but I would consider it a morale booster for the family.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It's a great idea. Two things though, at the listed charge rate, it would take a long time to charge most small devices. Also, I pretty much gave up on DX due to the shipping times.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DX has great products for the price, flashlights for instance, and components to build them. I got really big into making custom super bright flashlights last year, and modded tons of maglites for friends and family.

If you plan ahead and make a large order in one shot it isn't terrible waiting for stuff, but if you are in a hurry to get it you better just hit up ebay.

They do stock their better selling items in a CA warehouse, and if there is the option it will let have it shipped from there, cuts lots of time off the shipping that way.

I will also browse for parts and trinkets on there then hit ebay for the same thing, but filter to USA shippers only. You often pay at least 10% more, but the last light I ordered showed up in 3 days.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
If anyone is interested there is a guy on ebay selling the same thing (I haven't bought it so I can not speak on the quality) for under $13 shipped from NJ.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts