New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Matt Deet raised a lot of these kind of questions in his blog. Just a couple of things I've been thinking about...

I assume from my reading of the new law that any forward vertical grip is illegal. But how can you "permanently modify" a temporary, add-on feature like this? For instance, I have a wood stocked 10/22 with a small picatinny rail adapter underneath up front, for a bipod. It attaches through the swing swivel stud. If I wanted to, I could slip an illegal vertical grip on this rail at any time, in just a second. How do I make this correction "permanent"? Should I have to remove the rail to comply? And how is even that "permanent"? I can put the rail back on in just a minute, at any time.

So then, let's say I have a MAK 90 with no banned features save the pistol grip. Why wouldn't simply unscrewing and removing the grip make this a legal rifle? Should I have to, say, epoxy the female threads inside the receiver so that grip can never be screwed back in? But where is the fairness and logic, that the pistol grip should have to be made never to reattach, but not the forward vertical grip?

You know, after all those years, we never did receive specific guidelines about exactly how to make legal modifications under the old law. Folks went by common sense or some old ATF letters, but there was no real, NY legal specifics in a lot of cases. That's why these State Police info seminars seem so absurd. A lot of this stuff is just being pulled out of a dark, smelly hole.

Stupid law, stupid politicians.

·
R.I.P. to our friend PY-3-21-2016
5,474 Posts
The picatinny rail is legal, attaching a forward vertical handgrip is not. There is also a problem with all pistol grip replacements such as the Monsterman or the Exile hammer head grip. They attach with just a screw driver so no way can be permanent. A lot of questions remain unanswered.

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
Think about how "permanent" has been used in the past.

Adjustable stocks had to be permanent because if you could unpin them with a tool you have and illegal adj. stock

Muzzle breaks had to be permanent because if you unbolt them with a tool you have an illegal threaded barrel

A"monster man" grip shouldn't require that same level of "permanence" If you unscrew it you aren't left with something illegal, you are left with a rifle you can't shoot.

You can't say "well, you could screw an illegal pistol grip back on" If that was the case you wouldn't have been allowed to just pin the slider on your adjustable stock. You could use the same logic, "well you could just bolt on an adj stock" since the stock wasn't permanently fixed to the rifle

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
I dont agree entirely with this. While it says permament, it also says reasonable.

Q: If I modify my gun by removing all design characteristics that makes it an assault weapon, do I have to register it?

A: No. If you modify your gun so that it is not an assault weapon,you do not have to register it. The modification must be permanent however. This includes,for example,removing the bayonet lug by cutting or grinding,grinding off the threads on the barrel,removing the foregrip so that it cannot be readily reattached,or any change that cannot be reversed through reasonable means.

The picatinny rail is legal, attaching a forward vertical handgrip is not. There is also a problem with all pistol grip replacements such as the Monsterman or the Exile hammer head grip. They attach with just a screw driver so no way can be permanent. A lot of questions remain unanswered.

·
Registered
239 Posts
There is nothing in law that says any thing about permanent. It says.. "THAT CAN BE READILY RESTORED OR CONVERTED" Websters defines readily as.. "without hesitating.. without much difficulty" easily.

Those help lines will only tell you what they want you do do to further there agenda. Even if it is allowed by the law.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.