Votes: 6 18.8%
  • GCL

Votes: 26 81.3%
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just to get things started correctly, I will absolutely take up to and including 50% of the stupidity blame on this one, but not a single % more. Having said that, here is my story:

Saturday, January 14, 2012. I packed a pistol bag and wandered over to GCL to do a little shooting. I arrived there around 1000 and went to the indoor range. Anyone familiar with GCL knows that the inside pistol range consists of 2 independent (12 position each) ranges, capable of being used simultaneously, yet totally independent of each other. You can be down range setting targets on one side while the other side is being used. As I walked in to what I will call the primary side where the main entrance is, all the lights were on but there was not a soul in sight. I walked in and set my bag at one of the lanes and noticed that in the secondary side, all the way to my left, beyond the sliding glass doors, there were 2 guys with half the lights off shooting a .22 rifle. Thinking this slightly odd but not odd enough for me to do anything about I began to unpack my things. Before I could even really get started unpacking though, in comes a large group of people. I was then informed that this range was closed for a gun class. Blood: getting hot. So I thought to myself OK I will go share on the other range with those guys, and so I verbalized this to the gentleman that had just informed me that the range was closed. He replied that they were doing a competition and I would have to go ask in the office if I could use it with them. Blood: getting hotter. So OK, off to the office I went. In the office I asked if I could make use of the secondary side, and was told no, that was closed for a competition. Blood: boiling.

To break it down to those of you reading, GCL, a gun club with TWO separate indoor ranges, had one closed for a competition and one closed for a class. Both closed at the same time, in the middle of January, in Rochester. Again, TWO separate INDOOR ranges, both closed, middle of January.

Now we come to the blame. Like I said, I am totally willing to accept 50% of the blame on this one. The reason for this? I should know better and I should have simply looked online to check the schedule. The other 50% of the blame? This goes to the rocket scientist that scheduled BOTH indoor ranges to be closed on a Saturday at 1000 in Rochester in the middle of January. If this was the middle of the summer, OK no problem, Ill go outside. But its not. Its January. In Rochester. Its cold out. Very cold out. I want to shoot inside.

So allow me to pose my question: why did the class and the competition have to run concurrently instead of consecutively?

Finally, we get to the moral of the story. Where am I going with all of this? Nowhere really. Next time I'm gonna check the schedule. With any luck I have saved 1 other GCL member a wasted trip there because they too took a moment to check the schedule before heading over to shoot.

Thanks for reading.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
I am a member there as well. I would say you are 0% responsible. I just checked the only schedule and nothing was scheduled for the indoor pistol range. For the dues paid and the extra for indoor pistol range use the website should be correct in what ranges are occupied. I can see them asking you to stop shooting for a few minutes on the weekend when they do the classes for new members but anymore more then that should be listed on the website.
Maybe Dave from Rochester Personal Defense can explain why this happened to you.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I'm not a member, but 1/2 the reason I won't join is because of how limited the indoor range is... perhaps someone who goes there can answer better than I, but from what I can see, the only thing scheduled are things on the rifle range:
GCL Calendar

and, there's nothing listed here to know that something was going on saturday:
Pistol

So how should you? I also agree, even if it is found somewhere online, one pistol range should be open at all times ... you pay a lotta fuggin money for that place, you should be able to shoot

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yes, I agree. It is 8 degrees outside. They should keep that in mind. This club needs some TLC.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
For the record, I chose GCL as the "idiot" but I don't agree to the terminology... I mean, someone should be held accountable for the schedule & calendar, but an idiot might be a lil too mean at this time

(I am waiting for more information to be posted)

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I don't mind multiple events being scheduled at one time. It happens, its going to happen. We're not always going to agree with the timing / location / etc.

What would bother me is the lack of information stating as much available anywhere (ie online calendar, piece of paper posted on the range door - sub optimal but at least its something, etc). I'd blame myself if the info was available and I didn't see it or didn't check for it.

·
Registered
556 Posts
yea i agree you have no fault here. Yea it would be good to check the website to see what classes/competitions are going on. From what i can see there was nothing scheduled for the time you were there.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
It's no secret here that I have been on the Board of Directors at GCL for a long time. So,

Any of you can feel free to contact me by phone or email and I will be willing to address, answer, or explain any reasonable concern you may have.

The schedule on the website will list only part of the events at the club as things change and flow every day. The club is run by volunteers and we all do a ton of work to keep everything going.

You question our dedication/accountability, hmmmm:
If you recall from last year, we had the unfortunate roof collapse incident at the end of January. No one except about 10 of us at the club knows how hard we worked and how fast we moved to reopen at least one half of the range to the members. The whole range could have easily been shut down for the duration, but we worked with the code guy, the contractor, and the insurance people to make sure YOU had a place to shoot. I won't even mention that we had that range totally rebuilt, refurbished, and open in 4 months and one week from the date of the collapse. That's because WE, the Board of Directors, and the volunteers for GCL knew that we had to keep it running. Some of us (me for one!) were at that range putting in 14 hour days to get it open and keep it open.

FYI: the club calendar is also listed in each month's bulletin as that is updated more than the site (I don't have any control over the site, so don't start..LOL) In that calendar, it lists all of the recurring events and/or scheduled events. Monday eves from 4-7 ish is a bullseye pistol league, Tuesday from 3-10 is the CCW shoot, Weds from 4-8-ish is the Weds Night IPSC, Thursday from 4-7 is the Kodak Pistol league on HALF of the range.

As for last Saturday, I was out of town, but I can follow up (all you had to do was ask) and see what was actually going on Saturday. I do not know why a two person competition would have been held on Saturday, but I will ask. To my recollection, there was no 'competition' scheduled for Saturday. As for the training, if that was an NRA Basic Pistol class, it should have been, and usually is, listed in the Training schedule on the site. As we have just started a new year, there is some delay in getting the info up on the site (Again, I am not responsible for the content or updates on the site)

For those of you the DO know me, when I say that I will follow up on any relevant issues, you know that I will. You may always email me or even call me if you wish to actually discuss any questions or concerns you have.

GCL is there for the members of the club. Even those that pay the 40 bucks a year to have access to the indoor range. GCL is also there to provide access to education and training as well as other forms of the sport. Unfortunately, the balance that we try to maintain does not please each and every single member, every time, and for that we do feel for you.

So, again, if you would like me to formally look into this, email or call me and I will.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
The only times I go to GCL is for the Wednesday night shoots (summertime USPSA matches as well). I am a member, with indoor range & red card (action range). I ask myself why I pay a membership fee, after this year, I am done. Brooks suits my needs much better than GCL. I am not knocking GCL, it was great when I started out shooting, but when I started getting involved with the IPSC shoots, you can't really practice that at GCL.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Cooden:

You actually can practice IPSC type skills, that's what your Red Card is for. After a year, you can qualify for the competition range as well. There, you can set up a small scenario or do a bit more than on the Red Card Range

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Cooden:

You actually can practice IPSC type skills, that's what your Red Card is for. After a year, you can qualify for the competition range as well. There, you can set up a small scenario or do a bit more than on the Red Card Range
Dave, nowhere near the same as what you can do at Brooks. Remember you when saw that group of us at Brooks and you looked at the EXO slide? I could never do that at GCL. Or am I missing something?

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Yep. I remember. That's what the Red Card and the other range were built for.

I understand about Brooks. That's why we do some training there as well. Different clubs' locations require different constraints unfortunately.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Yep. I remember. That's what the Red Card and the other range were built for.

I understand about Brooks. That's why we do some training there as well. Different clubs' locations require different constraints unfortunately.
Dave, I totally understand the reason that GCL has those rules & regulations--always safety first. The more I get involved with the competition shooting, the more I like Brooks.

·
Registered
470 Posts
The Saturday closure on the primary side was for the Junior NRA rifle Class. 930-1130. You must have come in when they were still in the classroom portion. Not sure about the other side. This is an ongoing class for the next 10 weeks, athough a couple of the classes are on Sunday due to Pistol events on Saturday, The Calendar does have those classes listed. Although it doesnt look like it specifies the indoor range.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Totally understandable. Its all about location, location, location....

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
To those reading this, please know that I love GCL, and I love to shoot there, and if anyone asked me where they should be a member I would say GCL FOR SURE! I just wanted to vent about it and this seemed like a great forum to do so in! Like I said, I wasn't really going anywhere with it...

To Dave, the only thing I would say is check into what the "competition" was, and let whomever is in charge know that for scheduling they should definitely try to avoid having both indoor ranges closed at the same time during the winter months....had it been summer I would have skipped the indoor range all together and gone right over to the red card range and enjoyed the steel targets...

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Pete:

Most times, we actually DO avoid shutting down the whole range. There are times though.......believe me, I do understand.

BTW....I will be there on Thursday on the 'far side' with a private group. That half of the range will be closed

Just to let you know

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
I will be there on Thursday on the 'far side' with a private group. That half of the range will be closed
Will this be between 5p-9p when the Kodal league has 1/2 of the range closed or will you be outside of that timeframe?

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
From 8am to about 4pm. Low day on the busy scale.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
I saw the rifle thing on the schedule and it said it was on the rifle range. A few weeks or a month or 2 ago I went to GCL to shoot on the outdoor range. The vehicle gate was open and a sign saying the range was closed was up. So I walked over to the indoor range because they usually leave it open when the outdoor pistol is taken which is nice. The indoor range was locked and I asked someone sitting outside clubhouse what was up and he wasnt too sure so I went back to outdoor range and asked a guy and he wasnt too sure either. I ended up just shooting on the far side of the outdoor range and didnt have any issues.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts