New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The more I read about BOB's, secret locations, etc----the more I realize that no one has any plan that will work in this situation. Before I get flamed, let me ask some real world questions:

1. BOB--the more I look, the more I laugh at these. Where are you going with a backpack? What if you have a family? What happens if you have little kids that wear diapers, that need formula, that need sleep or they are crying all the time?
2. Do you really think that you will be able to drive anywhere? Do you think you can make it on foot somewhere? Do you know a secret path where you won't come into contact with someone?
3. Do you really think that you will be the only person trying to survive? What happens if you come across a group of 5 armed guys and they want your BOB?
4. How about gas? Do you keep your vehicle on full all the time? What happens if your on a 1/4 tank and all hell breaks loose? How are you getting gas?

Honestly, you'll never get to your bug out location--it ain't happening. The only people that have somewhat of a chance are the people that live in the far rural areas and are semi self sufficient.

Instead of bugging out, I have seen some people say to bug in/hunker down. That's the best advice. Protect your home, your family & your ammo. Wait 72 hours to things shake out a little and then try to get some more supplies. That's my survival tip.

I honestly hope no one ever has to try any of their survival plans out.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
I follow you, and agree under a lot of circumstances but bugging in kind of falls apart if there is a flood, fire, nuclear plant melts down, etc...

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
I see what your saying and agree with a lot of it. No matter what you cant be completely prepared to remotely come close to our current standard of living. Personally I think if there is some sort of disaster or SHTF type thing if possible bugging out sooner is better then later so you do it before people get really desperate and crazy. But yes you cant plan for everything or take everything you need with you but the more prepared you are the better your odds.
By the way I dont have a B.O.B. if that means anything lol.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I also do not have a bug out bag packed.. Because with 2 children under 2. if anything happens in the remote future i WILL be staying home. that said I do have a small store of supplies specifically for the kids that gets rotated. and two frame backpacks that between my wife and I we will be able to carry the necessities to make to where we need to go. a 1/4 tank of gas will get me there as well if need be. 4x4 if necessary i dont care for lawn gnomes anyway. :D

bags are never packed due to the everchanging needs of the kids. a threat requiring me to leave my home would have to be bad. and I swear by the 3day wait. driving around traffic jams after theyve happened is way easier then being in them.

I do however have a small backpack in mine and wifes car which ,god forbid, works as a "get home bag"

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
I have seen many good articles and books on the subject. you can prepare for almost anything but you bring some good points.
The one that worries me the most is the medication. What if you need medication? and I am not talking about antibiotics, antiinflamatories but the one that if you do not take you die or have serious illness like epilepsy, insulin, etc...
If your or a familiy member needs this and you are on a limited supply all other preparations are pretty much secondary priority. The first thing
is to seek medication.
You cannot order a large supply in advance as they will not prescribe. Should we go to canada and gather what we can to make sure we do not die in case of a SHTF and all pharmacies are closed or in flames?

I think this could be a hard one depending on the meds needed and how much and how often. What do you think guys?

Thanks.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
I saw this guy a couple of years ago. He has some questionable ideas but also a couple of good points here and there...

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Nutnfancy is more full of himself that the Stay-Puft Marshmallow man...at times. :)

G

·
The more I read about BOB's, secret locations, etc----the more I realize that no one has any plan that will work in this situation. Before I get flamed, let me ask some real world questions:

1. BOB--the more I look, the more I laugh at these. Where are you going with a backpack? What if you have a family? What happens if you have little kids that wear diapers, that need formula, that need sleep or they are crying all the time?
2. Do you really think that you will be able to drive anywhere? Do you think you can make it on foot somewhere? Do you know a secret path where you won't come into contact with someone?
3. Do you really think that you will be the only person trying to survive? What happens if you come across a group of 5 armed guys and they want your BOB?
4. How about gas? Do you keep your vehicle on full all the time? What happens if your on a 1/4 tank and all hell breaks loose? How are you getting gas?

Honestly, you'll never get to your bug out location--it ain't happening. The only people that have somewhat of a chance are the people that live in the far rural areas and are semi self sufficient.

Instead of bugging out, I have seen some people say to bug in/hunker down. That's the best advice. Protect your home, your family & your ammo. Wait 72 hours to things shake out a little and then try to get some more supplies. That's my survival tip.

Dwight David Eisenhower said, "In preparing for battle, I have always found that plans are useless but planning is indispensable."

I learned personally that as soon as the first boot stepped over the line of departure that your plan will go out the window. Real life has a way of interfering with your plans. So the only appropriate course of action is to develop the situation as it unfolds, keep your eyes and ears open and try to seize and hold the initiative all the while keeping foremost in your mind the mission. (See the raid on UBL.)

Is it possible that we may someday face an un-survivable situation that thwarts all of our plans and preparations? Yes.

Should we allow the possibility of such a situation dissuade us from planning and preparing? No.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I don't have a bug out bag either. In the event of a disaster I'm staying put in my house. At any given time I have a week's worth of water on hand and at least several dozen cans of soup that can be eaten without being heated if I have to (assuming all the utilities go out). If there's a flood I'm a little uphill from a canal and a little downhill from a local mountain where I can get to higher ground if I have to. If there's a sudden nuclear meltdown, well, I'm 21 miles from Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Station (as the crow flies). No way anybody in Phoenix is outrunning that radiation so we're all dead anyway. What else can happen? Enemy invasion, zombie attack? I've got enough weapons and ammo to take out my share before they get to me. Hit the road and get stuck in an endless traffic jam with everybody else trying to get out of town in a panic? No thanks.

The whole idea of bugging out when the SHTF is ludicrous to me.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Agreed, prescription meds are sort of hard to stock up on.
"Uh yes Doc, I would like 6 months of my meds so I can fight off the Zombie invasion"

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you live by yourself, have no kids, no wife, no family--then I think you have a great shot at the whole BOB scenario. But as other people have mentioned, there are so many other things that come into play, such as the medications, kids, etc.

G

·
The widespread use of psychotropic medications, intended for the treatment or control of mental disorders such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, depression, anxiety, etc., add an interesting dimension to the problems associated with a long term disruption of services.

Today in America a large part of the population is “artificially happy”. Take away those drugs and that same large part of the population becomes psychotic, irrational, depressed and anxious.

Who needs zombies?

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
The whole idea of bugging out when the SHTF is ludicrous to me.
It really depends where you are bugging out too. Planning to keep a family of 4 fed on land that isn't prepared isn't going to happen. Bugging out to a stocked cabin in the woods is a possibility though. Bugging out to a family members house that already has a small garden, plenty of acreage, a decent sized pond, etc should equal survival.

Also, what are you bugging out for? Is it for a relatively short term because of a flood or natural disaster? Or, is it a total meltdown of society? You can only stay in the city for so long. What happens when you run out of food and/or water?

·
Registered
303 Posts

There are no absolutes in life; to say bug out will never work or ever will need to be done is a false premise. Case in point, how about folks out west get a knock on the door wild fire is on the way you have 15 minutes mandatory evacuation. What are you going to grab wedding photo, family pet and clean underwear? Or a bag of passports, bank account numbers, contact/email list, cash/valuables, birth certificates, extra medications, first aid kit etc… at a minimum. I guess that is your choice?

There may be cases of stay put, cases of you must leave and cases of you're screwed either way.

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
The widespread use of psychotropic medications, intended for the treatment or control of mental disorders such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, depression, anxiety, etc., add an interesting dimension to the problems associated with a long term disruption of services.

Today in America a large part of the population is "artificially happy". Take away those drugs and that same large part of the population becomes psychotic, irrational, depressed and anxious.

Who needs zombies?
This is one of my primary concerns. Some of these folks will just kill themselves, the rest will try to kill everyone else.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts

Today in America a large part of the population is "artificially happy". Take away those drugs and that same large part of the population becomes psychotic, irrational, depressed and anxious.

Who needs zombies?
It can be even more simple than that. Think of all the people who can't function without coffee or nicotine. Cut that supply during a SHTF scenario and there will be a large percentage of our society who suddenly find themselves unable to mentally and/or physically cope. It may not be life-threatening, but will certainly add to the chaos.

·
Registered
365 Posts
We lived in what's called a 'rural' area but it's really close to wild. In '98 we had a three day ice storm that took out the power lines, almost all the power lines. The weight of the ice took them down and they became frozen to the ground under the trees & branches thatfell and froze over them. Crews from as far as Hawaii came to the northeast to restring us, and in some cases retower us (restring? retower?).

Trailer trucks of batteries and flashlights from Everyready, Duracel, Ray-O-Vac, showed up at various HQs and were distributed to the fire houses. Lamps, wicks & oil, blankets & cots, hot meals, water, candels & matches, dry ice, nurses, insulin, etc. were also available there. The collages opened their facilities for hot showers. A major business training organization that had just ordered a serious generator for its own use, had it diverted to the small local hospital for the duration.

The chain saws and tow chains came out. Heavy equipment roamed around like dinosaurs clearing roads and whatnot as needed. People up here know how to work together for the common good. There was no direction needed. The Red Cross Disaster crew came, stayed for a while and left. They didn't have much to do. The Guard was put to use doing door to door checks on everyone in the hills.

We were the last on the line and without power for three weeks. Our son was seven. We read Treasure Island by hurricane lamp. We had a well in the back & a brook on the side. It was January so the refrigerator was the outside. Our heat was central propane and didn't need power to run. We also had a wood stove but didn't need it. We were 14 years younger, healthy and we were fine.

I think if you wait for a BOB situation to BO, you've waited too long.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
944turbo said:
society who suddenly find themselves unable to mentally and/or physically cope. It may not be life-threatening, but will certainly add to the chaos.
..and boost the food supply in non~rural areas as they kill theselves off or die in spastic attacks.
At least if you're talking real SHTF anyway.

It may be disturbing or disgusting to a lot of people, but that won't make it any less of a reality.
No matter how big a zoo is, it will run out of critters in very short order leaving nothing but pets and people as a food source.

Meds wise I imagine all one could hope for without a really good in with a dr or phamacist would be to hit as many local drug stores as possible in the hope what you need extensive supply of hasn't already been looted or destroyed.

Query: what does one do for meds that need special storage conditions like refrigeration and such?
Stuff like that isn't going to be BOB~able.
Mabe BO winnebago or camper, but not a toss it on your bsck and go item.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts