New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From time to time I've seen threads on various forums complaining about the primer slide return spring on Dillon 550's. The factory spring works when everything is perfect, but doesn't return quickly enough on the upstroke when things are a little dirty, worn, or less than perfect. Replacing the factory spring with another Dillon spring doesn't work.

I've found the solution... for around $2. The Servalite #16U spring is the same size as the Dillon spring, but is made of a *slightly* heavier gauge wire. It returns the primer slide to the "closed" position more robustly than the factory spring, but not too briskly.

Works like a charm.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Where are you finding this spring? I only found it on amazon, and they want $5 to ship it.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I disassembled mine, cleaned it, polished moving points with emery cloth and put a little white lithium grease on it. Works like a charm on over 3k rounds, mine is on a 650 but I believe the probe is similar....

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I found it at my local Ace hardware. Not sure if Home Depot, Lowes, etc carry it.
Interesting. I did check the Ace website, but the search turned up nothing. Thank you for the tip and for responding.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Went to my local hardware store. They sell Ace products, but the kid told me they're not an Ace hardware store. Go figure. They had some springs, but he knew nothing of Servalite products. The springs he had were too small. The quest continues.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If it's any help, it's a 2 inch spring, 3/16 OD, made with .020 piano wire. I don't believe this to be an uncommon size, so you can probably find it from another manufacturer than Servalite.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.