New York Firearms Forum banner

9mm FMJ bullets avail???

998 views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  ladder13 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

I have a couple questions regarding reloading 9mm. I was planning to shoot IDPA in 2014. I have been looking around for reloading supplies but I can't seem to find anything in stock. From powder to brass and bullets almost everything in out of stock. My original intention was to get a Dillon square deal B and do all my reloading. I don't want to spend $250 a month on the sport. And that is if I can even find factory ammo. I would rather load my own.

So, I guess what I'm asking is, do any of you guys know of any dealers that are good about having the supplies I need in stock at a reasonable price?

Thanks for your time,
TK

#7 ·
Probably depends on the range, but if you are shooting at an indoor range I do not think that the extra smoke and smell from the lead rounds is going to make you very popular. Personally I do shoot some lead from 9mm, but mainly because that was all I could buy during the panic earlier this year - 9mm generates quite a bit of pressure for a handgun round, and cleaning leading in the bore is a task I do not enjoy. Plated rounds when they are in stock are usually not that much more expensive than lead, and if you hit a decent sale they may be cheaper than the good, hard 9mm bullets like Oregon Trail.

#4 ·
Greg, I haven't read that as of yet. I think I'll be using the copper plated bullets though. I went to the site that ladder13 posted and I'm going to put a order in right now. About $.083 a bullet.. Now, I guess I need to find some once fired clean brass and some quality powder.

#5 ·
#6 ·
Brass and bullets for 9mm are generally in stock at the more popular online retailers, as well as direct from some bullet manufacturers. I usually buy my 9mm bullets online and order 1k or more at a time to save on shipping. I use range pick up brass for 9mm. Not every weight in every configuration is available, but the situation is much better than it was just a few months ago.

With Hazmat fees, buying powder and primers locally is usually a good option unless you really have to drive a distance or have no local options. Does your LGS stock any reloading supplies at all? If you cannot find SPP and at least one suitable powder for 9mm out of the dozen or so that are generally available in most cases then I think you really need to find a good LGS.

If you are not too particular, all you need is your fired brass, bullets purchased online and some SPP from any manufacturer and any one of several powders from your LGS. Maybe it is your local area - I am finding that LGS that stock reloading items seem to have a good stock of SPP from different manufacturers, and while I may not be able to buy a specific powder, most days I could buy a pound of a powder that is suitable for 9mm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.