New York Firearms Forum banner

9mm, .40 and .45 carry ideas?

Tags
9mm carry ideas
5K views 39 replies 34 participants last post by  HighlandLofts 
#1 ·
I'm thinking of cashing my Gen2 full frame Glocks to get something more "legal" in NY and to get something I can actually use for CCW occasionally. Those of you that actually carry in these calibers, please let me know what you like and why. I do shoot IDPA and would usually use my 1911, but I'd like to be able to use whatever I get for an occasional competition.

Thank you comrades. ;)

#2 ·
I carry a commanders size 45 or a subcompact 40. I never liked Glocks so I don't have one. When you are limited in round count carry the most lethal round you can.

#38 ·
Nice choice. As soon as my holster comes in, I will be carrying a P220 Carry Elite Dark. It's a little big, but I think I'll be just fine.

#7 ·
I love my M&P 9c. About 1500 through it and I can't trick it to misfire. Simple design that just goes bang, price is right, S&W stands behind it, tons of access. and add ons. Have 3 holsters for it, depending on what I'd wearing. LOOOOOOVVVVEEEEEEE it. I also carry .380 but you didn't ask.

I personally find .40 to be a round I dislike. Like most hybrids, does some of a few things but nothing well enough to justify its existence IMHO.

#9 ·
I love my S&W M&P 45c. Has a 4 inch barrel, 8 round mags, but can use 10 round mags with an xgrip to give a full size grip feel. Have night sights on it and carry either OWB in a ROCity Holster or IWB in a DeSantis Intruder. With the 8 round flat mag, it is a great .45 carry gun.

#10 ·
I prefer a P2000sk in LEM for a variety of reasons. You can read my review here. I like something hammer-fired with a constant trigger pull, and HK's LEM is the best system out there that accommodates this. Strikers are ok too, as long as they have an indicator on the back that I can ride into the holster like a hammer (if something catches the trigger, my thumb prevents the striker from moving due to covering the hole where the indicator would protrude during firing). The XD series, Ruger SR series, and some Walthers have this feature. Glocks and M&Ps don't.

With the garbage going on in the state, I will switch back to a Walther PPS. The sk will never get sold, but I slightly prefer it to the PPS when all things are equal. However, the PPS is an outstanding gun with a lot going for it. I very slightly prefer it to the Shield due to the lack of manual safety, and Euro-style mag release.

I only carry 9mm guns in the subcompact size, because I am not convinced there is much if any advantage to larger calibers that makes up for the increased recoil, noise, and flash. I've also never seen an instructor who doesn't use 9mm. But that is obviously a separate topic.

#12 ·
In the summer I carry my Kahr K9. Slim single stack mags. The standard mags come 7, so 7 + 1 in the pipe. I carry IWB, but can also fit I your pocket if need be. I have put thousands of rounds through it w/o any issues. Come winter, I like my Sig p226. Yeah it's a bit big but very accurate. Again I have put thousands of rounds through it without any issues. Good luck on your hunt, lots of good info here.

#13 ·
I'm going to see if I can find a PPS close enough so that I can handle it. I won't buy something without at least getting hands on. This area isn't the best for that. If anyone near me has one they'd like to show off, let me know.

#14 ·
M&P Shield 9mm, great gun, haven't had a single malfunction. Usually they come with a 7 and an 8 round magazine though. I suppose they will just start selling them with 7 rounders though. I just had 3 8 round magazines for my shield delivered less than a month before the new law.

#17 ·
I carry my g20, g23 and g27. Wife carries her g19.

#19 ·
Looked at the CW9 and PM9 today as well as a Beretta Nano and a Taurus PT-145. Really liked the PM9 and CW9 and the tiny Taurus was pretty slick! .45 in a 9mm compact size. Hmmmmmmm

#21 ·
Don't rush things but 9mm is a very effective caliber in many handguns.
The advante of the glock. sig, etc.. and a few other modern pistols is that they can take the heat
of +P+ loads. There is another reason for full frames vs. high capacity that is speed.
High speed 9mm and 357SIG are easy to shoot and extremely effective. Speed kills.
Glock 19 and 23 will continue to be excellent choices but as you reduce barrel length
it is a good idea to then get into the 'grain' loads vs. speed.
For a compact a heavy +P 40 caliber makes sense but it all depends on how
well you can shoot with it. Remember the heavier the round the more recoil so the only way
to counter that is to get a heavier frame (larger pistol). In the end the simple laws of physics are
always there.

#25 ·
I still like a quality revolver but I recently bought my first pistol, a Sig Sauer P250. Price was great, ergonomics are exceptional, ambidextrous, simple operation, and comfortable and accurate in a Compact sized 40 S&W. Extremely interesting gun, in addition to doing everything right for me, there are XChange kits available that can change the one registered fire control mechanism to a full, compact or sub compact handgun in any of 4 calibers with 3 grip frame sizes available for each of the 3 size categories. Additionally, a full length slide can be fitted to a compact grip frame. Incredibly versatile, amazing handgun.

#26 ·
Where are you thinking of carrying the weapon? In winter i can easily carry a full size .40 on my hip, and it is concealed by my jacket and heavy clothing. In the summer...its much more difficult to conceal (unless you like wearing a windbreaker all summer). You would then consider other holsters (IWB) or on the ankle. I also have an M&P .40 compact that i carry on my ankle. I would consider where you want to wear it...and go from there. Personally i would start with trying an M&P Compact 9mm (ammo is cheaper...and a little less recoil) , and if you find the fit ok, your all set. Their are times that even the MPc seems too large on the ankle. In my opinion you want something that is seamless to carry...because if it's too cumbersome..you may not carry it.

#29 ·
My current CCW situation:
9mm: P290 or Glock 19
40SW: G23 and keep Lone Wolf 40-9 barrel in bugout pack with a few loaded G19 mags just incase a need for ammo change is needed
45ACP: XDS (light,thin, easily concealable) or SIG P220.

I am a 45 ACP fan; not only do I want to hit my target, I want to fire a round that has knock down power. I have seen average size men get hit with a 9mm round and keep coming but when a person any size is struck with a 45 ACP round, I can tell you their momentum changes from the sheer force of the round striking their body.

Caliber is always an excellent talking point and one not to be taken lightly but never personally. I enjoy all things that go "Boom" but I'd rather have that "Boom" only need to be heard once when my bullet goes center of mass.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.