New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Occupy NYF JBT Tank Operator
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brazilian Police Recall 98,000 Taurus 24/7 DS Pistols - The Firearm Blog

Yeah, I said 98,000

This validates my feelings on Taurus. My wife had a 24/7pro in 9mm about 5yrs ago, biggest pos ever. It had trigger slap worse than a WASR10, about a 20lbs trigger pull, and parts would come flying off of it when you shot it. I couldn't get rid of that thing fast enough.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
I've heard horror stories abt them, considered getting one of the cheaper Beretta clones they offer for carry at one point. No thank you.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I've heard horror stories abt them, considered getting one of the cheaper Beretta clones they offer for carry at one point. No thank you.
I assume your talking about the PT-92, a clone of the Beretta 92, and it is one hell of a gun. I love mine and have had no issues with almost 1000 rounds down the pipe. Main reason I bought it is I like the frame mounted safety WAY better than the Beretta slide mounted safety.

I also have a PT709 that's been fine and I've shot about 500 rounds through it. I did a lot of research first on that one vs similar competitive models and it's a good fit for me. Small enough to be a pocket gun if I want, 7+1 rounds, thin and lightweight, and still 9mm. I found it's not as "snappy" as other small 9mm I've shot like a Keltec p11. I have no concerns about carrying this gun at all, it just works every time.

Each to their own, but I've had no trouble with my Taurus'. I'm not saying I'd by a 24/7, because I've done little research on them, but this story certainly doesn't make me regret buying my PT92, which is one awesome full size gun.

Their 1911's are also supposed to be pretty good. If/When I buy a 1911, a Taurus is in the running. I guess what I'm getting at is these things tend to be model specific, and didn't we just see a Smith and Wesson shield recall the other month? Does that mean you shouldn't buy a S&W revolver?

·
Occupy NYF JBT Tank Operator
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Comparing Taurus to S&W is like comparing Yugo to Porsche. Their copies of the 92 & 1911 should be good since the design has been around for so long that it should be impossible to screw up, except that the 1911's had a bunch of issues like the ambidexerous safety falling off when you fired it. Quality & Taurus should never exist in the same sentence.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I have tried to sell Taurus products, not much luck and I own one. It is an older 9mm that belonged to my father in law, gun has a horrible trigger but we are keeping it because it belonged to him. I am not sure if I will sell Taurus products, maybe??? not sure. It would be down on my list.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
I own two Taurus pistols, both were bought "NY style" (no ability to test). One is a PT 24/7 OSS/DS, the other is a .38 J-frame (forget model number). The revolver has never given me any problems. The .45, on the other hand, well, it worked fine for a couple months. Then one day it started light-striking when firing DA. SA still worked fine, but DA was too light.

Sent it back, was returned to me in two weeks and worked again - no explanation of the problem or anything.

Worked fine for a year or so, then it started light-striking again, but now with both SA and DA. Still need to send that thing back. It's certainly making me rethink my "never sell a gun" policy.

I'm completely guessing here, but I think the problem I'm experiencing relates to the magazine seating and the no-mag striker block. As I said, completely guessing, not even sure if the 24/7 has a block for this. Anyway, what I've noticed is that when the magazine is full, it can be difficult to fully insert into the gun. This can cause it to get inserted in such a way that the mag is held in but is not all the way in... so when you shoot, the striker block could still be in place. Striker blocks often kill your firing pin, or so I've heard. Meh, whatever.

Count me in the "don't buy a Taurus for anything important like SD" camp.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Well I can think of another POS that ranks up there with it, the Jennings 22 jamomatic.
But it is black and looks evil. And you don't need a holster - stick it in the watch pocket of your jeans.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Wasn't Jennings, Davis and Phoenix Arms first made for use as a paper weight?

Well I can think of another POS that ranks up there with it, the Jennings 22 jamomatic.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Brazilian police recall a brazilian guns!!!!!

I have 2 Tauruses (sp?) a PT92 and a 1911. Both have treated me well, for what its worth.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
You can bet every company that builds a lot of different types of produts swill have recalls, Especially when they make lower quality products like Taurus and a few other gun companies. I've bought a couple of Taurus P140s and turned them around for a few more bucks then I paid or them and I did a small tree job and got a Taurus 357 revolver for the work done, again it was sold shortly afterwards.
A friend just bought a 9mm Taurus auto and first time out shooting it he asked me if I knew anyone looking for a 9mm. These low quality guns fill the empty spot for thousands of people, but I'm not one of them and never will be. I'll stick with the Rugers and Smith & Wessons and other higher quality built handguns. Like the saying goes "You get what you pay for"

·
Registered
9,902 Posts
How many is a brazillion?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts