New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a gorgeously stock Mak 90 for $150. (Sorry for not having a picture)
How much neutering is required to take it into the state and be able to safely shoot at my range up north? Any and all help/recommendations would be appreciated.

I've been looking at CA bullet-buttons, Ar-15 spurs and adapters, trying to figure out 922R compliance...It's all so confusing and full of vagueness to me. Currently it has a thumb-hole stock, which is apparently a no-go here and no barrel devices. I'm trying to keep it as stock as legally possible, and hopefully without too much actual welding. The type of info I'm looking for is: if I affix the magazine in a non-detachable way, how non-detachable are we talking here? Would you be able to keep the thumb-hole if you did so? If not, could you recommend a decent cuomo-grip like I have on my AR?

Thanks to anyone who comes by.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Don't worry about 922r, your not going to be converting it in a way that it matters. You can go with the spur and no features and have a detachable magazine or you can have all the features and a fixed magazine. Fixed mag will be a bitch to load. If it were me I would sell it at market value and buy a new Saiga. I see them selling MAK 90's on Gunbroker for $800+ for nice ones.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Well I don't know how you legally acquired a rifle that is not legal in your state of residence officer.

There are stocks that can be had to convert it from a thumbhole to a quasi- FRS-15 style which seems to be as compliant as anything else.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Yeah... The work you would have to do to it to make it useable in NY probably isnt worth it.
A Fixed mag AK would be horrible to load. So you'd have to remove any and all features.

I would second what gunsick said. Sell it, Buy a Saiga, And use the extra couple hundred to put a decent stock on the saiga (still sporterized configuration of course)

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Yeah... The work you would have to do to it to make it useable in NY probably isnt worth it.
A Fixed mag AK would be horrible to load. So you'd have to remove any and all features.

I would second what gunsick said. Sell it, Buy a Saiga, And use the extra couple hundred to put a decent stock on the saiga (still sporterized configuration of course)
The only feature a MAK90 has is the thumbhole stock. The MAK90 was the work around to the import of assault rifle ban imposed in 1989. I have seen some wooden stocks that replace the thumbhole stock and resemble the thorsdon stock with a cheek riser built in. They remove the last feature but I am not sure how they feel.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
At 150 dollars fix the magazine so you can own it then buy the Saiga to shoot. You can have your cake and eat it!

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Don't get me wrong because I really appreciate the gun talk on a gun forum but there are to many people with one or two posts asking a lot of legal questions. Am I the only one seeing this?

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Just the word "Deleted" is is a good edit

·
Registered
349 Posts
Come meet me at an FFL in PA with it. I'll give you $300 and you'll double your money and the legal headaches will be gone. I'll make sure it's well cared for and fired frequently.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Does anyone make a NY legal AK stock? If you could put a straight stock on a standard AK and use 5 rd detachable mags that would be nice!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Does anyone make a NY legal AK stock? If you could put a straight stock on a standard AK and use 5 rd detachable mags that would be nice!
Other than Saiga merchandise, I can't find anything overly useful. The trigger is too far forward for it to work on anything else from what it seems.

Ordered the adapter and spur. Without the wooden stock, I've replaced it with something ugly, pinned and plastic, which also means the wooden fore-grip went the same way, just to keep it looking homogeneous. It's funny, all these "scary" parts to be taken off, and it's more "tactical" now. Idiots with pens.

·
Registered
904 Posts
TAPCO makes a black one for the Norinco MAK90. Just be sure your MAK 90 has a square end mount. You will need to dremel it a bit to make it fit. Also, there is an AR pistol grip adapter available from Brownell's as I recall for around $15.00. You use it to mount the NY Spur in place of the pistol grip. It also takes a little dremeling to fit those two pieces together. Also, make sure that the bayonet mount is ground off, and finally that the end of the barrel is neutered, with no threads, or muzzle break.

Enjoy it. They are fun to shoot.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Get a spur. Go pew.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts