New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright im getting really confused just when i think i have all the laws i over think it and get scared! I own a norinco mak 90 sporter. It has a collapsible stock which I've pinned because i got nervous. From what I've heard all norincos are pre banned they didn't import any after the AWB so i should be fine with the stock un pinned and my numerous pre ban 30 round mags correct? Also what is 922r!? Do i even have to think about that with this gun?? I know i know but hey better safe than sorry right felonies are bad news! NY sucks! Thanks guys

· Registered
1,103 Posts
i believe it goes like this:

in 89, there was an assault rifle ban. To have one before 89 is completely fine to do whatever you want with. Between 89 and 94, they sporterized them, and made them all lame. 922r says you can have one of these guns, so long as X number of parts are swapped out for American made parts. What parts, I have no idea, you are best off doing some more searching on this site

(please, someone correct me where i'm wrong because I don't think i'm 100% on the above)

Anything prior to Sept 94, you can also do what you want with (so long as it didn't fall under the previous ban). Pre ban means you can have a collapsible stock, flash hider & bayonet lug

Magazines fall under another set of laws vs a gun. Any mags before Sept 94, knock yourself out. Anything after 94 cannot be more than 10 rounds

· Registered
1,051 Posts
The MAK90 you have is probably 90-94. Actually it definitely is.

It came here with a thumbhole stock. The reason for this was the thumbhole stock allowed them to come into the country with a wide mag well and all the original chinese parts. There are no 922R parts on a stock MAK; The thumbhole stock made it a 'sporting' configuration and immune to the 'compliance parts' of 922R.

The pistol grip on your rifle is the problem here. As soon as it's in that configuration, 922R (Since it's after '89) comes into play. You can only have so many imported parts on a semi-auto rifle with a pistol grip. The Tapco guide above is a good one for what counts and what doesn't. So chances are likely that nobody ever changed out the FCG or floorplates or gas piston for US made ones. Ergo, you're probably illegal under 922R.

That being said, DON'T PANIC. I have never heard of an individual being prosecuted under compliance parts under 922R. More than a few dealers and several importers, yes, but you, no. This is something you can choose to worry about as money for parts comes in.

THAT being said, technically you can have all the pre-1994 'evil' features like your folding stock, bayonet lug, threaded barrel, flash hider, pistol grip. This is the STATE ban we're referring to now. So go ahead and un-pin that stock, thread that barrel, knock yourself out.

ANY magazine prior to the correct date in 1994 is OK, in any rifle of any manufacture date. So don't worry about that.

It sounds to me like you probably have a STATE compliant but FEDERALLY non-compliant rifle. As much as I want to tell you to immediately go get the G2 or G3 trigger group and put it in, I won't, because the MAK triggers are glorious. Take your time, get some other US made stuff, and make it 922R eventually.

If you're still too paranoid, sell it to me and I'll take the burden off your shoulders. :p

· Registered
8,557 Posts
I never understood why magazines counted towards compliance parts.
Politics.

you can only have 10 non usa parts
if you have an american made stock set the butstock, pistol grip and handguard counts as 3 (922r) parts, if you replace the trigger, hammer and sear with american made ones that also counts as 3 parts. You can also replace the piston, the mag follower and the mag floor plate if you desire. Since I had my barrel replaced on my mak 90 I also put an American made Flash supressor on it. I put 8 American made parts on the gun to make sure I never had to worry about the 922r.

· Registered
1,051 Posts
So what if its not 922r? How much trouble? I've heard people that ask cops and the cops never heard of it!
You'll likely never, ever hear of it. Even if you do get picked up for some other reason, the state's not gonna waste the fed's time calling them on it, assuming they had a clue, which they don't.

Either way, I'd suggest going 922R compliant at some point. Just for your own peace of mind.

· Registered
1,275 Posts
Wish i had property to shoot on my own land then i could care less about johnny law!
Still. Get everything compliant asap. I personally would never want any charge on my record let alone a federal gun charge. I want to own firearms for the rest of my life. I am sure you do too. Good luck with everything. Safe shooting to you!

· Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is so stupid and annoying! Im seriously thinking about selling it and buying a new saiga 12 and 223 and just leaving them the hell alone! What if i put the thumb hole stock back on? Would i.never have to worry about this again??

· Registered
2,028 Posts
So what if its not 922r? How much trouble? I've heard people that ask cops and the cops never heard of it!
Basically its a compliance parts law for foreign assault weapons... probably to prevent people from modifying their guns

The thing is, they (govt. and law enforcement) don't really enforce it. Lets say, however, that they are trying to find some flaw in the future within your gun collection or something of that sort.... they will most likely look into the more obscure laws such as 922r compliance.

Also, 922r compliance laws are relatively vague. No one really knows exactly what they mean because its loosely written.

In addition to the Tacpo link already provided on 922r compliance, you should also watch this video.

AK-47 922r Compliance - YouTube

I also have 2 Mak 90's that I modified. I had to spend about an extra 100$ each on extra parts just to make them compliance. Had to replace the trigger groups, magazines, and stock with US made parts to keep up with the compliance laws once I modified it. They look great though and function good too.

· Registered
8,557 Posts
This is so stupid and annoying! Im seriously thinking about selling it and buying a new saiga 12 and 223 and just leaving them the hell alone! What if i put the thumb hole stock back on? Would i.never have to worry about this again??
Yep put the thumb hole stock on it and you have no worries.

· Registered
1,051 Posts
If you want to sell, PM me first. I'm a MAK fanatic.

Or just quit worrying, get yourself a couple of US made parts, and enjoy your rifle.

· Registered
8,557 Posts
Well how many parts do i need? Already have tapco stock and pistol grip, and tapco 10 round magazine.... that should be 5 right there
I would get the firing group, that is three parts and they are about 40 bucks. Installation is real easy, there are even web tutorials out there. Just make sure to get the double hook version for the mak90

· Registered
1,051 Posts
I wouldn't piss with the trigger. The MAK trigger is glorious. You have floorplates, follwers, and stock set. I'd swap out the gas piston and/or put a US flash hider on it. The Tapco trigger takes one of the nicest shooting AK's around and makes it feel like a damned WASR.

· Registered
8,557 Posts
I wouldn't piss with the trigger. The MAK trigger is glorious. You have floorplates, follwers, and stock set. I'd swap out the gas piston and/or put a US flash hider on it. The Tapco trigger takes one of the nicest shooting AK's around and makes it feel like a damned WASR.
Problem with the piston is most people don't have the tools to put it on, the problem with the magazines is if you grab a non modified 30 rounder you are not compliant. The mak 90s do not have threaded barrels unless you replaced it somewhere along the way.

As long as you don't want any other mags and you have a drill press a grinder or a good metal file set you could get away with what Ralph has suggested if not you can go the trigger route without tools.

· Registered
2,028 Posts
Problem with the piston is most people don't have the tools to put it on, the problem with the magazines is if you grab a non modified 30 rounder you are not compliant. The mak 90s do not have threaded barrels unless you replaced it somewhere along the way.

As long as you don't want any other mags and you have a drill press a grinder or a good metal file set you could get away with what Ralph has suggested if not you can go the trigger route without tools.
First time around trigger group will probably take you about 30 minutes or less. I like mine a lot.

Also.... with the magazine thing..... I just store mine with the 10 round Tapco magazine that counts as 3 parts. When I got to shoot it, I use my pre-bans.

· Registered
8,557 Posts
First time around trigger group will probably take you about 30 minutes or less. I like mine a lot.

Also.... with the magazine thing..... I just store mine with the 10 round Tapco magazine that counts as 3 parts. When I got to shoot it, I use my pre-bans.
The ATF counts inserting the Magazine as assembling the firearm, if you are using the magazine as your 3 parts using a non American mag would make non-complaint. Not that I care, that is just the way the Feds see it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.