New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a beat 91/30 mosin nagant. Busted stock and rough exterior, but the bore is good. I plan on sporterizing it. If I install a:

Timney Trigger
Texas Precision muzzle brake
ATI Stock
ATI aluminum Rail Mount
Harris Bi Pod

With I have changed enough to be 922R compliant?

I also plan on adding a brass stacker mount and some sort of red dot optic.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Just picked up a beat 91/30 mosin nagant. Busted stock and rough exterior, but the bore is good. I plan on sporterizing it. If I install a:

Timney Trigger
Texas Precision muzzle brake
ATI Stock
ATI aluminum Rail Mount
Harris Bi Pod

With I have changed enough to be 922R compliant?

I also plan on adding a brass stacker mount and some sort of red dot optic.
For less than half the price of the Timney trigger alone you can replace the stock and have a classic rifle that is only going to increase in value.

https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=202&idcategory=17

Sporterizing it as you have described will cost about the same as a cheap used tactical bolt gun (with all the modern technology improvements) and you will likely never recoup your investment as sporterized Mosins typically do not command a high price tag.

Just my .02.......

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For less than half the price of the Timney trigger alone you can replace the stock and have a classic rifle that is only going to increase in value.

https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=202&idcategory=17

Sporterizing it as you have described will cost about the same as a cheap used tactical bolt gun (with all the modern technology improvements) and you will likely never recoup your investment as sporterized Mosins typically do not command a high price tag.

Just my .02.......
I'm sporterizing it for the purpose of making it more fun to shoot. Right now its basically a POS. A gun that nobody wants to shoot. I could care less about adding value to it. Same reason I like to customize cars. I'm taking something that is just like everyone else's and making it mine. I plan on doing all the work myself, and will use this as an opportunity to learn about guns.

Honestly the same logic could be used regarding an AR15. Why go through the trouble of customizing an AR15? It won't add value to it, for the most part. You should leave an AR15 stock or just buy the AR15 that already has the modifications done.. You could buy a better gun, blah blah blah.

I'm simply looking for an answer to my original question. I tried searching and nothing came up, plus there isn't anything stickied in the C&R section on this.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Easy there big fella, just stating my opinion.

That said, here's some info on 922r:

TAPCO - Section 922r Compliance

Gunwiki: Generic 922(r) Worksheet

I have tried several scope mounts on the Mosin without much luck. I finally coughed up the $ for the the Brass Stacker and can say that it's the best of the one's I tried. It still is not perfect and loses zero if you bump it too hard. Best way to mount optics is to completely remove the rear sight, there's actually a dovetail under there!

How to Install a Scope on a 1891/30 Mosin Nagant by Removeing Rear Sight for 52 Dollars - YouTube

BTW, why don't you join us at the swamps tomorrow? We'll have some old war horses to shoot if you're interested (Mosins, SKS, Mauser, Garand, K31, etc) along with SG's, pistols, etc. Gonna be a great time!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Easy there big fella, just stating my opinion.

That said, here's some info on 922r:

TAPCO - Section 922r Compliance

Gunwiki: Generic 922(r) Worksheet

I have tried several scope mounts on the Mosin without much luck. I finally coughed up the $ for the the Brass Stacker and can say that it's the best of the one's I tried. It still is not perfect and loses zero if you bump it too hard. Best way to mount optics is to completely remove the rear sight, there's actually a dovetail under there!

How to Install a Scope on a 1891/30 Mosin Nagant by Removeing Rear Sight for 52 Dollars - YouTube

BTW, why don't you join us at the swamps tomorrow? We'll have some old war horses to shoot if you're interested (Mosins, SKS, Mauser, Garand, K31, etc) along with SG's, pistols, etc. Gonna be a great time!
Its all good. I would come, but I have to work. Wed's are when I usually get a chance to go shooting. I didn't know about the dove tail. I might go that route then thanks!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So if I understand it correctly, by installing a timney trigger, muzzle brake, and stock I would then be in compliance? That adds up to 10 then?

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
If you want proof of that..
18 U.S.C. Chapter 44. Section 922(r): It shall be unlawful for any person to assemble from imported parts any semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun which is identical to any rifle or shotgun prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) of this chapter as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Sporterizing the nagant for the fun is one thing but in the end some might consider a inexpensive axis or stevens
and have it fitted with a new barrel and bolt for the caliber. This would be a nice sporter for those who want to use
the russian ammo.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
why not restore it? the dead souls of WWII will haunt you for soiling, and goobering an Historical Firearm.

·
Registered
132 Posts
awesome! i have been keeping an eye out for a mosin without a stock to do my own build with.

i actually bought a M44 to do a build but when i got it, it had a perfect bore and matching numbers and a great stock. i ended up feeling bad about tearing it apart.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The first Archangel stocks at magazines that hung up. There was a flaw in the thermo-molding process from what I understand.

I also understand that they have the problem fixed.

Regards,

Josh

1 - 20 of 20 Posts