New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was a day, just like today, that no one could have foreseen something so horrific to take place. I'd just like to post this in response to that event to let those who try to impose threat on this great nation; know that their actions shall not go unpunished as it has made the United States of America a much more patriotic country that will not allow such actions to take place again. I'd also like to have a moment of silence to remember as well as take the time to pray for those families who lost loved ones. Those who perished will not be forgotten, 9/11, we will not forget.

- Matt

· Registered
8,557 Posts
I remember it like it was yesterday, I had just been reassigned to Fort Drum, NY ( 18 years in the Army at that point) arriving 5 days prior and on that morning I was traveling into Watertown to Wells Fargo to sign morgage paperwork so I could start the proccess to buy a house. I actually watched the second plane hit the tower on their TV. I remember saying to the lady, "I need to sign these papers and get back to Drum." When I got back to Drum everyone was glued to the TVs and the quick reaction force was moving toward the gates. Everyone was trying to get accountability for their Soldiers and then waiting for further instructions.

I arrived in Afghanistan 1 week prior to getting the news that OBL was dead, we anticipated a crap load of retaliation attacks, they did not happen (at least nothing more than the attacks we were getting on a daily basis). On Sept 11, 2011 I was sitting on a company operating base (COB) in the valley where the Taliban was born and there was not one of them around. The Base had two 155mm howitzers and they kept the place very quiet as far as insurgent activity goes.

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
I was in 6th(!) grade at the time. Just the start of the school year too. We got lucky. While the rest of the teachers were playing the "don't tell the kids" card, we had a teacher for 4th and 8th period that had a TV in the classroom and we watched it live.

· Registered
13,297 Posts
This is being typed on the PATH train heading to WTC just as I had been doing 11 years ago. Passed through WTC then on way to my office in Brooklyn Heights, just across the river. By the time I had gotten there they were talking about some news helicopter or small plane that had just hit the North tower while in line for my morning coffee. Would have a bird's eye view of the second plane tearing through the South tower from our office on the 32nd floor. You could feel the rumble of the towers coming down on your face as we all watched in disbelief. Lost my best friend and seven other former collegues that day. I won't forget.

Today, its business as usual. I work 1 block away from the WTC site. Sending this from Ground Zero helps I guess but I hate being here and being reminded daily of all those who lost their lives here.

Thanks to all of the members here who have served or continue to serve. I mean that from the bottom of my heart.

RIP MZ.

Well, here now. Will send as soon as I get a signal on my BB.

· Registered
4,733 Posts
I personally know a young man who, as a 10 year old, watched the events of that day unfold. His Father saw an immediate change in him that drove his ambition from that moment on. He became an A student in school, started developing his psychological makeup to one goal. Making sure that it never happens again.

11 years later, this young man graduated from the Navy SEAL program. His determination and drive never changed from that day in 2001 until today. He started training as soon as possible, learned all about the mindset and skills he would need, and drove through each level of the program with that one, singular goal in mind. Never again will anyone do that to us.

One of the most poignant statements he made stays with me, especially today:

When asked why he wanted to be a SEAL, they wanted him to give a reason. He replied: "I don't have one, I have 3996 reasons, and I intend to collect on each and every one of them"

The interviewer put his file down and said: "I cannot think of any better reason. You're in."

I am proud of that young man as I am sure his Father is as well. I wish him good luck, Godspeed, and good hunting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.