New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get that the finish on the Express isn't super nice, but this is ridiculous. I had this out trap shooting literally last weekend and it was fine. This happened in 6 days.

I may be in the market for a 590. Kinda bummed cause I have a lot of money in Magpul stuff for the 870. Maybe someone will trade me. Or I guess I could Cerakote.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Man Scotch that's terrible. Can't say I've had the same luck.... I beat the crap out of my 870s and never had that happen. What vintage is it?

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Were you trap shooting in salty water? Invest in those silicon clothes. Just wiping it down with one would have prevented that.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
I'm not a Remington fan and I haven't seen 870s that bad. Thanks for reminding me why to pick a 590 :D

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No I was trap shooting in the same place I always do. And I do have silicon clothes, just didn't use it. I don't wipe down any of my other guns and I've never seen a hint of rust. The finish is awful.

It's circa-2003 or so. I think the newer ones might actually be better.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Yea that's just so odd to happen like that.... What cleaner(s) did you use last?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I have one from 2011, it rusts after just touching it with my fingers. I use rem oil and wipe it down every time i use it. haven't had an issue since. It is a PITA though. Thats why I want the 870 marine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, I have seen this happen before on some firearms. Try some WD-40 and 0000 steel wool once cleaned off oil with Rem oil or similar. If the receiver is pitted badly you can sand and refinish. I do take trade in our shop and we do refinish.

Hope this helps
Paul
Blue Tuna Guns

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Hi, I have seen this happen before on some firearms. Try some WD-40 and 0000 steel wool once cleaned off oil with Rem oil or similar. If the receiver is pitted badly you can sand and refinish. I do take trade in our shop and we do refinish.

Hope this helps
Paul
Blue Tuna Guns
Awesome first post !!!

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Last time I cleaned it was a while ago, with M-Pro 7. It just sits in my air-conditioned bedroom cruiser ready, and is an occasional loaner trap gun. I guess it has been more humid than usual lately. Only noticed it because I was putting it in the safe; this'll be a HD pistol weekend as I have guests staying over (don't get any ideas though, I'm probably better with the pistol).

I'll probably just wipe it down with some more M-Pro 7 and move on with my life. But it is disappointing, I have a certain expectation of "hard use" tools like pump action shotguns, and this isn't it. The finish is worn off my handguns in spots, and they don't rust.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts

Hope this helps
Paul

Blue Tuna Guns
Where is this shop of yours? I would love to stop in. Kenmore is not far from me.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
That's bad, I have one that's a little older than yours, one that's around 5 years old and one that's about 2 years old. I did have the initial rust bleed on the 5 year old one but scrubbed it with Hoppes and never had an issue again. The 2 year old one I CeraKoted new. I have really acidy hands also so anything with fine blueing I wipe down immediately. I beat the **** out of the older one and always hunt near or on saltwater and never had that happen even without cleaning it.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
I have an 870 from late 80s and another from mid 90s. Haven't had same issue and one I leave "around".

·
Registered
536 Posts
Actually it's not likely as bad as it looks, it's not had time to dig in deep and pit the gun. BluetunaGunsmithing has it right, 0000 steel wool with some oil. I've done guns that looked like that with rem oil and the wool and returned them to like new. Be GENTLE, pressure is not your friend, time is if you want to keep the finish on there.

Don't let it sit, get the rust off and oil it up again with something that ill penetrate the steel. I don't have experience with M-Pro 7, I use CLP for the heavy work, and rem oil for the light.

I had a gun do that after a week in my small fire safe that we hadn't used in awhile or had desiccant in. I had tried to dry the safe out, but not enough. It looks new now though, and it wasn't hard to bring back the finish.

Or place the gun up for sale, maybe one of us will take it and enjoy a great deal after we scrub off the ugly.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Both of the newer tactical's I've owned rusted a little, nothing some clp and a toothbrush wouldn't take care of.

This makes me glad I dumped the express line for a police model.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
That sucks my 870 gets a little rust spot every now and then after being in the safe for awhile but not to that extent. I keep a nice coat of ballistol on mine when not in use and keep one of those gigantic silica packs in the bottom of my safe the combo seems to work well for mine. I'd clean it up and keep a good coat of lube on it.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I recall a thread on these from last year and a lot of people with newer ones are also reporting this problem. It's one of the reasons I decided mossburg 500 was a more appropriate one for me.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
That's terrible. When I bought my 57' 870 it had ever so light splotches of discoloration where rust seemed to have started. I keep mine oiled liberally to keep it from rusting. It seems to be a magnet for dust though.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Love my black anodized aluminum receiver on my maverick 88. I'd probably end up scrubbing that a bit and give it a cool paint job or something. Maybe toxic zombie green with bio hazard stickers lol, I always wanted to do that to a shotgun.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts