New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 870 has been have persistent FTE problems that are in margin of around a 15-20% failure rate. The catch is that this only happens with target loads. When I use buck or slugs it runs like it should all the time.

Does anyone have any idea what could cause that? My only guess is that it has something to do with the fact that the target loads are low brass and the buck/slugs are high brass. I tried to have a local gun smith take a look at it but $50 later I am left with a gun that proceeded to FTE the first round after getting it back "fixed" from them.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its burrs on the chamber likely causing the problem? I will have to check that out tonight.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I am not sure how low base vs high base would affect anything, burrs snagging on the plastic seems unlikely. My thought this is a 3" or maybe a 3.5" gun. I would be the issue is short shucking. The recoil of a Buckshot load at Max Dram Eq (archaic I know) is causing you to react with a more vigorous action than a lower power "target load" of 1 - 1 1/8oz at 12- 1250fps sometimes slower.
I suggest this as I have seen this often and more often with people used to shorter 2 /34" guns.

I am willing to believe, being a Remington (Sportsman / Express) corners were/are cut to make a price point and that one such corner is finishing the job properly.

It also seems odd because to my mind the "brass" (anodized steel really) should be more susceptible expansion with a higher pressure cartridge.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I would try a TOTAL disassembly and cleaning before honing or replacing any parts. Be sure and lube before assembly. The only cost is a little time.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Let me guess, you are using Winchester Universal shells? This is a common issue when using that ammo in an 870 Express. Buy the Federal value packs next time and you won't have the problem.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Like others have said - crap ammo. I have the same problem. Feed it better shells, ejects all day long. Trade off w/the cheaper gun.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Using the honing trick above to smooth out the chamber, you'll find nearly every 870 Express with this problem can be fixed. The remainder are usually fixed by replacing the extractor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts