New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys anyone have any trouble removing the nut off a 870 forend? I havnt done it in years and I cant remember how hard it was to get off. I bought a new synthetic one for one of my shotguns but the nut is being a real bitch to get off. Maybe some tips or tricks for a sticky nut? haha that sounded bad!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Personally, I'd normally use a strong penetrating oil, like PB on rusted/stuck nuts and bolts, but I'm not sure how or if PB would affect a firearm

To be safe you could try a couple of drops of gun oil down the mag tub so they end up between the forend nut and tube, and let it soak for a few hours. To make the job easier, you could try using a forend wrench, if you don't already own one.

I'm sure someone will disagree with me, but I prefer disassembling, cleaning, and oiling my firearm every 2-3 months to keep everything operating smoothly, and easy to disassemble.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm sure someone will disagree with me, but I prefer disassembling, cleaning, and oiling my firearm every 2-3 months to keep everything operating smoothly, and easy to disassemble.
Agreed... +1

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I usually do clean my firearms regularly I have just never gone as far as removing the forend from the slide tube unless replacing or changing it

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Hey guys anyone have any trouble removing the nut off a 870 forend? I havnt done it in years and I cant remember how hard it was to get off. I bought a new synthetic one for one of my shotguns but the nut is being a real bitch to get off. Maybe some tips or tricks for a sticky nut? haha that sounded bad!
They tend to really over tighten the nut and it digs into the wood. I don't have a wrench for it I use needle nose pliers. If your not going to save the wood one you can always spit it in half with a chisel.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Assuming you do not have a proper fore end wrench; you can use a short length of conduit (If I recall it was 3/4" diameter) with the "tabs" you need to fit the "notches" in the nut. Start by measuring the depth and width of the notches in the nut. Mark out tabs on the end and sides of the conduit. With a hack saw cut the end of the conduit right and left of center 1/2 the width of the notches (1/2 each way gets you to full width centered). Cut slightly deeper than you measured to form the tabs. Then cut from the sides to remove the waste. If you cut the tabs a little over size in both length and width, you can refine the fit with a file. The fit does not have to be exact but you may need to bend the tabs a little to grab both sides of the nut. Drill a hole through the side at the end opposite the tabs and you can turn it with a screwdriver or just use a pipe wrench on the conduit. The whole process took about 20 minutes.

Use at your own risk.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts