New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone build or own a 6.8mm M4?.. when i lived in Tenn i ran across a few and id really like to build one..any thoughts about this?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have one I built for long range and/or Whitetail hunting. It's a nice caliber. I am very happy with it as one of my large bore options.

100_0757.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
where did you get the 6.8 parts,i wanna build a carbine.and how is it trying to get ammo for her?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Any ammo is tough right now. Silver State Armory seems to be the general consensus, I have run it with Hornady SST120's but moving forward will be using the SSA 110's. You want midlength gas system for sure. I got a PSA SS barreled Upper and added the low pro block and rail. AR15Performance.com are the go to 6.8 pros.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
It is one of my favorite calibers. Very consistent and accurate and plenty of power. Ideal for short 16 and 18" barrels.
All the small primer ammo seems to be pretty consisted. Hornady and SSA small primer.
Skip remington's large primer. For parts look for AR Performance, Bison Armory and Wilson. Top notch quality.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
I built one as well. You get all the standard AR parts except you need a 6.8 bolt and barrel and I think the rest is the same as any other AR build

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok good.. i guess my buddy knows the owner of allstar tac. so i might buy a lower and upper from him and buy the bolt and barrel somewhere else..how long do i have to finish this beast before i cant get the parts tho..it will probably take me a few months to get all the parts since the price of this stuff has gone up

·
6,795 Posts
yes the magazines are right lol. You can get away with loading a few 6.8 rounds into a 5.56 magazine without issue as a temp solution.

·
6,795 Posts
ok good.. i guess my buddy knows the owner of allstar tac. so i might buy a lower and upper from him and buy the bolt and barrel somewhere else..how long do i have to finish this beast before i cant get the parts tho..it will probably take me a few months to get all the parts since the price of this stuff has gone up
Just rememeber that you will have to build it in a way that isn't an "assault weapon" now so that means no pistol grip for example.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
damn...sucks having cool military acc. laying around and i cant use it..thank you NY

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ar performance has 16" scout profile barrels (threaded and target crown) with complete 6.8 BCG (Nickleboron) for $395 shipped. I have buile Three rifles using these barrels and they can keep the 120sst under 1 MOA most of the time.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Ar performance has 16" scout profile barrels (threaded and target crown) with complete 6.8 BCG (Nickleboron) for $395 shipped. I have buile Three rifles using these barrels and they can keep the 120sst under 1 MOA most of the time.
However they may not have barrels for much longer. They're selling out of BCGs, Bolts and Barrels in a hurry. I've started my first build slowly and have some components already with others on the way.

·
Registered
769 Posts
The owner of ARP is very active on 68 forums and seems to be good people. Not to draw you away from this great forum but if you're looking into a 6.8, go there. Tons, and tons of great information and really helpful people. He helped tweek the 6.8 to maximize it's potential so his product has a ton of knowledge behind it. It's not unusual for people to report 1MOA or better straight out of the box with the first load they try.

He's not building uppers anymore but just supplying barrels, bolts, etc. He just couldn't get parts to keep up with the demand. Even just supplying the barrels and such he can't get blanks and other parts fast enough to keep up with demand. Check back often and keep an eye on his section of 68 forums. Eventually you'll get what you need.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts