New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I proposed in my NYFirearms.com t-shirt
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, does anyone have any experience with this round? 6.8mm SPC (or 6.8x43mm)
I know nothing about it, but looking at wikipedia it looks like it might be a nice round for an AR.
it'll def. be more expensive to shoot than the smaller 223, but a more robust option.

i searched the forums and nothing came up

~Mitch

G

·
I believe the 6.8 SPC is a solution looking for a problem (an effort to market a new caliber) and it appears that the powers that be share that opinion.

The military is not about to adopt it so I’d expect the 6.8 SPC to slip into ballistic obscurity and with that obscurity will come growing scarcity, increasing cost and eventually the ammunition will become unavailable.

If you are in search of a “more robust option” to the 5.56mm then choose the 7.62mm NATO.

·
Registered
405 Posts
fwiw, I have a 6.8 upper for my AR, a ruger mini-14 in 6.8, and a remington 700 ltr in 6.8

however, i use them for small game (coyote, fox, chucks, etc).

I want something with a little more knockdown power than a 223 but not as much as a 308

however, after seeing more than one deer get up and walk away (not mine thankfully), I would never use it for large game.

and with the scarcity of ammo (hornady makes a varmint round, remington makes btsp ammo, and the only other one I know of is mail order from silver state armory), you have to really like the round to want to shoot it, unless you want to hand roll it.

then you have to figure that hornady uses small primers, remington uses large primers, and then the brass matters....a whole lot of work for nothing there....

IMO, if you want an ar platform in another caliber, go with the ar-10

·
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
interesting. the scarcity of ammo is definately an important factor worth considering. especially if you think it is headed to obscurity! :)
I'm not particularly interested in using it for large game as i already have an .06 for that (for the few places in the state I can even use it!)

I was also wanting something with more knock down power (than the 5.56) for larger small game. looking at part prices, building an ar-10 looks to be quite a bit more expensive whereas the 6.8 parts seemed just a small premium to pay. so i thought it was certainly worth asking on here!

thanks for your thoughts guys!

·
Registered
405 Posts
IMO, it will suffice for small game, as that is what I use it for, but you have to be willing to buy ammo in lots (I buy 500 rounds at a time from silver state armory), usually once or twice a year depending on how much range time I have.....

as with any odd ball caliber (338 lapua, 6.8 rem, etc), if you want to play, you will have to pay.

if you do not mind that, go for it.....

·
Registered
370 Posts
interesting. the scarcity of ammo is definately an important factor worth considering. especially if you think it is headed to obscurity! :)
I'm not particularly interested in using it for large game as i already have an .06 for that (for the few places in the state I can even use it!)

I was also wanting something with more knock down power (than the 5.56) for larger small game. looking at part prices, building an ar-10 looks to be quite a bit more expensive whereas the 6.8 parts seemed just a small premium to pay. so i thought it was certainly worth asking on here!

thanks for your thoughts guys!
How about something like an AR-10 in 243 win or 260 rem? DPMS offers both calibers in a few configurations which sound perfect for what you're looking to do plus there is tons of ammo out there for both.

·
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i'll certainly look into it! thanks guys...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts