New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason search returned no results. Niether did the first 5place pages of threads.

Legal for ny deer hunting?

Would it make a good choice for longer range optics usage?

More lethal and accurate than a 5.56 /.223?

Couldnt find the deer answer online and lots of opinions on the cartridge itself.

· Registered
11,402 Posts
Legal for ny deer hunting? Yes in NY. ... in those counties they allow hunting with autoloader rifles or carbines. In monroe like other populated
areas only shotgun is allowed.

Would it make a good choice for longer range optics usage? It is not a long range cartrige specifically but with a long barrel will move 130gr
VLD bullets at 123gr grendel speeds. The original purpose is hunting with a 16" or 18" barrel. the 120gr SST loads do very well and will pop a coyote all the way to 600 yards w/o any problems. Asumming one can hit them but that is a different story.

More lethal and accurate than a 5.56 /.223? Lethality not just depends on caliber but in bullet characteristics, range and shot placement. But initially you will get a lot more energy and wound channel so yes.

Couldnt find the deer answer online and lots of opinions on the cartridge itself. The 6.8 with an SST load will put 1000lf/ft at 300 yards so plenty for white tail deer. Also will take mid to big game at shorter ranges and good shot placement.

· Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess i should have specified. By long range i was thinking 300 to 500. As in a longerrange than. 223 with better terminals.

Thanks for the follow response.... im thinking of getting my mini in 6.8 spc so it would be a more viable hunting round than a .223 or 7.62

· Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Definately wouldnt be for plinking lol.. i cant seem to find any mini 6.8s tho. Looks like they got discontinued a few years ago..

Looks like i may end up building a ar15 spr...

Always wanted a palmswell grip on my ar anyways.

· Registered
11,402 Posts
Definately wouldnt be for plinking lol.. i cant seem to find any mini 6.8s tho. Looks like they got discontinued a few years ago..

Looks like i may end up building a ar15 spr...

Always wanted a palmswell grip on my ar anyways.
An AR15 that can shoot .223 75gr and 80gr bullets with a 22" barrel is a very nice system for long range.
It will take care of the white tail very easily but the issue is the .223 might not be allowed.
This is where the 6.45 comes in. This will be a bit more energy and 6mm bullets for hunting and target
there is an endless selection. It is the best bullet department in terms of assortment along with 308 no doubt.

· Registered
11,402 Posts
Here is a comparative of the 6.8 vs. 223 and other offerings like the 7.6x39 and 300 Blackout/whisperl.
This are tests using data from RCBS ammo master chrono.
N/A or when you see the line drop that means the bullet went subsonic at which point I discard
the rest of the data. I have other spreadsheets and math for subsonic loads.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.