New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was able to shoot one while on vacation in North Carolina, they had a rental in the range I went to for just 15 bucks (ammo separately of course)

I have to say that thing is a 1000 dollar novelty, it is very cumbersome, heavy of course, the recoil makes more then 1 decent follow up shot per few seconds impossible and for us NYers conceal carrying it is not an option at all, lol. Needless to say it was still fun and if I had enough to blow 1000 dollars on a novelty, I'd get that thing, but in my lifetime of firearms collecting I don't see myself getting one of them haha. Not the .50AE anyway.

I'll be putting up videos of it soon, I will link them here, I haven't really been able to shoot a pistol so I'm sure there is tons and tons wrong with my form and stance, I'm just glad I held onto it, lol.

Anyone else ever shot one?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Having a few, I love mine. Yet they are not something I shoot a lot. Maybe once a year. Not having to conceal it in FL, it was an eye catcher. Here, no way would I even try to carry it. Now they are more of a collection than use. The movies made me get them, lol.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I can see why, how to the smaller calibers handle? The .50 is just massive, but the .357 I could see as being comfortable and accurate.

Video up now for anyone interested:

.50AE Desert Eagle - YouTube

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
A friend of mine had one in Germany. I fired 7 rounds and gave it back to him. Being a south paw, my trigger finger would contact the slide stop during the recoil and lock the slide to the rear. Basically it ended up being a single shot.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A friend of mine had one in Germany. I fired 7 rounds and gave it back to him. Being a south paw, my trigger finger would contact the slide stop during the recoil and lock the slide to the rear. Basically it ended up being a single shot.
I thought Germany was very firearms strict? Glad he could get some fun out there. The one I fired in that video was a bit beat up from years of renting lol. The very last video we tried to make with it ended up making it look very bad. As you can see in the video, it doesn't lock back on last round, after that it failed to extract and the safety lever started to flop around on one side (came loose, it was ambidextrous) lol. That pistol is rock solid that one just needs some TLC, looks like they don't clean it too often since they rent it alot.

The .44 MAG sounds fun, the .50AE was definitely a bit of a handful around the grip, the smaller calibers prolly feel better if they have a smaller frame, I'm not familiar with them enough to know if they do? I do know that the uppers (upper parts anyway) on them switch out for different calibers pretty easily.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
I thought Germany was very firearms strict? Glad he could get some fun out there. The one I fired in that video was a bit beat up from years of renting lol. The very last video we tried to make with it ended up making it look very bad. As you can see in the video, it doesn't lock back on last round, after that it failed to extract and the safety lever started to flop around on one side (came loose, it was ambidextrous) lol. That pistol is rock solid that one just needs some TLC, looks like they don't clean it too often since they rent it alot.

The .44 MAG sounds fun, the .50AE was definitely a bit of a handful around the grip, the smaller calibers prolly feel better if they have a smaller frame, I'm not familiar with them enough to know if they do? I do know that the uppers (upper parts anyway) on them switch out for different calibers pretty easily.
Soldiers in Europe before the new status of forces agreement went into effect. We could pretty much have any non automatic weapon on the market.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
I shot one a long time ago, 44 mag. was fun, they are pretty cool but there are a lot of other things I would buy first unless i got a great deal on it.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I shot one a long time ago, 44 mag. was fun, they are pretty cool but there are a lot of other things I would buy first unless i got a great deal on it.
I agree, you could get 2 or maybe 3 really nice pistols that would cost less to shoot and not break your wrists when you shoot them, for the cost of 1 of those lol.

I am glad I can say I have shot one in my life though, it was very fun, and loud lol.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
I want one!!!!!!!!Owned the 50 caliber S&W back when I lived in PA,that thing was a cannon LOL....
.50 AE.

Unless they recently made one in .50S&W...

I too would like one. Not every gun has to be your defensive firearm. :)

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Bah, nonsense!

Your video was great man! The only thing I saw wrong (which I do when I don't think about it) is put my non-trigger pointer on the trigger guard as opposed to wrapping it around your hand, but otherwise, I can't WAIT to head out with my buddy to shoot his, and I'm prolly going to buy it. I'll get my novelty and have fun w/ buddy's once a year or something, ya know?

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
Both my sons have DE's in 44 mag, one has the 10" barrel. Beastly machines, easy take down. They're fun to shoot but I won't be getting one.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Keep in mind, the DE was made with hunting and shooting silhouettes as its primary functions, and at least at those it's pretty good. Because its designed primarily for those purposes, it really isn't ideal for anything else.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bah, nonsense!

Your video was great man! The only thing I saw wrong (which I do when I don't think about it) is put my non-trigger pointer on the trigger guard as opposed to wrapping it around your hand, but otherwise, I can't WAIT to head out with my buddy to shoot his, and I'm prolly going to buy it. I'll get my novelty and have fun w/ buddy's once a year or something, ya know?
If that is the only glaring thing I did wrong I am glad, was my first time shooting a pistol that big and I actually did that in an attempt to keep it from snapping my wrist back so violently, even though I knew it was probably an improper grip, before I made this video I tried this thing with just 1 bullet in the magazine to get a feel, with both hands wrapped tightly around the handle it still snapped up enough to be uncomfortable, so this next video here I tried gripping the trigger guard a little, it did help a bit, probably hurt my accuracy though.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
If that is the only glaring thing I did wrong I am glad, was my first time shooting a pistol that big and I actually did that in an attempt to keep it from snapping my wrist back so violently, even though I knew it was probably an improper grip, before I made this video I tried this thing with just 1 bullet in the magazine to get a feel, with both hands wrapped tightly around the handle it still snapped up enough to be uncomfortable, so this next video here I tried gripping the trigger guard a little, it did help a bit, probably hurt my accuracy though.
Yea I hear ya, but w/ a .50, how accurate do your really need to be? LOL "General direction" will prolly still take a limb off, haha

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yea haha, almost $40 for a box of 20 shells, they waived the rental fee though since the thing practically fell apart as we used it, so that was nice.

General direction would only scare them with me, I was aiming at the head of the target and all my shots were an inch or 2 to the left of his head lol, if I aimed lower though I probably would have taken off his right arm. Better hope your first shot hits something at least cuz it takes a second to realign after that recoil.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts