New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have one? looking for feedback. Wondering if something like that might be good for HD and/or wife? like a shotgun but smaller.

Whats the kick like with them? She barely stands the 9mm so Im trying to watch the recoil but they may be a handy thing? just wondering on others feedback.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Wondering if something like that might be good for HD and/or wife?
No. It's good for nothing. Shooting .410 to defend your home is idiotic and if you're going to shoot the .45LC or whatever then why not just get a full size semi-auto and have 17 rounds of firepower.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
The Jugde for HD... not the greatest. It's more like a hi-priced wall hanger. It looks neat, but that's about it. If she can't handle a 9mm, you don't want this. Recoil is a bit more an a 9mm. BUT if you do go with one, get the wood and not the synthetic stock. The wood is a few inches longer and the synthetic one looks cheap and more like a toy.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
The Jugde for HD... not the greatest. It's more like a hi-priced wall hanger. It looks neat, but that's about it. If she can't handle a 9mm, you don't want this. Recoil is a bit more an a 9mm. BUT if you do go with one, get the wood and not the synthetic stock. The wood is a few inches longer and the synthetic one looks cheap and more like a toy.
Stock? On a handgun? :p

Anyway, from what I read the opinions of them as well as their larger "counterparts" the circuit judge, you don't want one. Usual complaints are about the patterning of the shot and the general inaccuracy in .45LC.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Stock? On a handgun? :p

Anyway, from what I read the opinions of them as well as their larger "counterparts" the circuit judge, you don't want one. Usual complaints are about the patterning of the shot and the general inaccuracy in .45LC.
My bad, had that Judge rifle from Gander stuck in my head. My daughter begged for it until i got her an SKS.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I had a poly judge for a little while,sold it to my father.It was fun for a novelty gun but had no real purpose in life.I do imagine spraying a home intruder in the face with the pdx ammo would change their disposition however.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
the constant omnipotent bashing of the judge/governor platform sure gets tiresome fast, especially since a lot of the haters haven't even fired one (OP's first line asks if anyone has one, though only one person chimed in as such). my buddy loves his circuit judge and says it's accurate as hell. at some point i think i'll wind up with a governor for the "cool" factor, though it's hard to justify the purchase of another hard-to-conceal handgun this summer. more importantly, since when does a gun absolutely need a specific purpose? can't it just be a fun addition to ones collection? a tangible investment that can also provide entertaining range time? i dunno, i guess i just value the opinions of actual owners more than people who watch youtube videos posted by self-proclaimed gun gurus with hard-ons for knocking the tactical usefulness of something...

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I shot a judge when they first came out. I however would never buy a Taurus. I would buy a Governor if I was in the market.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
since when does a gun absolutely need a specific purpose?
He listed a specific purpose in his first post.

And you don't need to own something to know that is is ballistically inferior to another round or that it has 1/3 of the capacity.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
the constant omnipotent bashing of the judge/governor platform sure gets tiresome fast, especially since a lot of the haters haven't even fired one (OP's first line asks if anyone has one, though only one person chimed in as such). my buddy loves his circuit judge and says it's accurate as hell. at some point i think i'll wind up with a governor for the "cool" factor, though it's hard to justify the purchase of another hard-to-conceal handgun this summer. more importantly, since when does a gun absolutely need a specific purpose? can't it just be a fun addition to ones collection? a tangible investment that can also provide entertaining range time? i dunno, i guess i just value the opinions of actual owners more than people who watch youtube videos posted by self-proclaimed gun gurus with hard-ons for knocking the tactical usefulness of something...
Nope, it doesn't need a one specific purpose. Hell, I want one myself for fun any novelty. I was just under the impression this was a discussion forum. I personally value the opinions of people that come in and provide an opinion with relevant information over people that cut down other's thoughts on the subject.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
"ballistically inferior"..oh god, here we go...i know the next caliber to be mentioned! 5/6 rounds versus upwards of ten (depending on what you wanna spend on mags based on production date)...let's go ahead and strike out all revolvers while we're at it since they're plagued by this apparent abomination, even though they're far more reliable and less likely to jam. as far as purpose goes, i was stating my desire for the governor in spite of all the armchair commando nays of rebuke.

and yes, it's a discussion forum, but when firsthand knowledge is requested then people without hands-on experience shouldn't be so quick to completely "cut down" an entire caliber/design/concept based solely on what they "heard" on the internet...you know, that magical place where everything is true and no one overcompensates for being picked on in high school. i'm all about discussion, but the know-it-all routine gets sooooo face-palmingly redundant.

pshaw! enough of this late-night hogwash. i'm gonna go fire some .380 into ballistic gel and shake my head in disgust!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I gotta admit. I also thought it would be a cool gun/caliber to add to the "collection" if it does no good for HD then I would just plan to use at range..but sounds like others more versatile to add to my collection first I guess. I just thought it may be good HD as shot not penetrating maybe through walls as much but...maybe Im wrong.

Still a cool idea/concept and I personally, may get one someday, but for now sounds like building my arsenal of OTHER stuff may be better.

Thanks for all the input folks and to tactical failure for his against the grain opinion. nice to hear both sides of the fence... Still seems like a cool gun to have for someday.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
"ballistically inferior"..oh god, here we go...i know the next caliber to be mentioned! 5/6 rounds versus upwards of ten (depending on what you wanna spend on mags based on production date)...let's go ahead and strike out all revolvers while we're at it since they're plagued by this apparent abomination, even though they're far more reliable and less likely to jam. as far as purpose goes, i was stating my desire for the governor in spite of all the armchair commando nays of rebuke.

and yes, it's a discussion forum, but when firsthand knowledge is requested then people without hands-on experience shouldn't be so quick to completely "cut down" an entire caliber/design/concept based solely on what they "heard" on the internet...you know, that magical place where everything is true and no one overcompensates for being picked on in high school. i'm all about discussion, but the know-it-all routine gets sooooo face-palmingly redundant.

pshaw! enough of this late-night hogwash. i'm gonna go fire some .380 into ballistic gel and shake my head in disgust!
For the record, have you fired any of them? Your statement about your desire for one makes me believe you want one but do not have one and possibly have never shot one. Maybe you should listen to someone with first hand knowledge because I have.

Since you're the expert what makes a .410/.45LC revolver a good choice for home defense and/or his wife?

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
The shooting gallery t.v show did a review on the new .410 buck shot load out of the judge. It did very well in the ballistics gel. I was quite surprised. I can't seem to find the video but it was eye opening.

I have actually shot the judge and can tell you with buckshot or the winchester PDX the recoil is much more than any 9mm I have shot (I was surprised again). If your wife is recoil shy it would not be a good choice. I would get her a 20 GA mossbergh 500 and call it a day!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I will start by admitting I have NOT fired a Judge nor a Governor.
If I were to buy either one, it would be the Smith & Wesson. I'd rather support an American company that has a reputation for outstanding customer service.

That being said, if you are looking for a .410 for home defense that a woman can handle, I recommend a Mossberg 500 tactical.
It has a pistol grip on the pump and an 18.5" barrel. It's a short, compact package that is easy to use.
With Federal Self Defense buckshot loads, I invite any naysayer to intrude in my home, and see if the round is easily shrugged off when it hits you center mass.
Is this the BEST setup? NO, and I readily admit it. But, like my case, and like the OP stated he wanted, it's perfect for my wife. She can handle it without it being heavy and bulky like a full sized shotgun. Also, very importantly, the recoil is manageable, so she doesn't get scared of the gun while she's learning to shoot it.
Just my 2¢.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
The "let me shoot you with it and see what you think" argument for caliber/gauge debates is pointless to me. I don't want to get shot with a pellet gun if I can avoid it!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts