New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what your thoughts were on a 40 S&W CCW. Right now I am looking into the Glock 23. I am open to any and all ideas. I all ready have a S&W 9mm 459, but that is a little to big to carry concealed.
Thanks for your help.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
I would say Smith & Wesson M&P40c--great gun! The Glock is nice as well. Your best bet is get both of them in your hand and see what feels better. If you are looking for an even smaller CCW, check out the M&P Shield. It is coming out in .40--I have the 9mm and love it for CCW.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have a 23 that I carry in a simple IWB, comfortable and not hard to cover in the summer at all (t-shirt time). Holsters make a big difference in concealment and comfort as there are alot of guys carrying the larger frames.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
I have a G27 and a Galco summer comfort holster. That combination works well!

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
You're likely to get 100 different opinions but I happen to have a G23 and love everything about it for a ccw/self defense gun. So much so that my next handgun will probably be another G23 for redundancy/back up. Certainly there are more Glocks in my future. That said, there are plenty of great guns out there to choose from. Agree with above post that you should try different guns out and pick what works best for you.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I would encourage you to do some research on calibers and possibly come to the same conclusion that I, most reputable authorities on the topic, and every instructor I've ever had did: that modern 9mm defense ammo is superior to any other choice. It is just as effective ballistically, with better capacity and is easier to control. All handguns are poor manstoppers, and your best plan is to get multiple hits on target ASAP. 9mm beats 40 S&W here.

Don't want to start a caliber war, but the question was "what your thoughts were on a 40 S&W CCW". So technically I am still on topic :)

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
I would encourage you to do some research on calibers and possibly come to the same conclusion that I, most reputable authorities on the topic, and every instructor I've ever had did: that modern 9mm defense ammo is superior to any other choice. It is just as effective ballistically, with better capacity and is easier to control. All handguns are poor manstoppers, and your best plan is to get multiple hits on target ASAP. 9mm beats 40 S&W here.

Don't want to start a caliber war, but the question was "what your thoughts were on a 40 S&W CCW". So technically I am still on topic :)
I second this post! I was also brainwashed by .40 cal hype & I bought a G23 as my first pistol when several people told me to get the G19. When I bought a G19, I was so much more accurate & my follow up shots were much better. I got rid of the G23 & my platform is strictly 9mm (I will get another 1911 when the funds allow). Plus the ammo is cheaper as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Scotchman and cooden you make a good point. I will look into it. Just want to thank everyone for the input. Will keep you posted on my progress.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Just be a man and get a G29! JK but I do want one...

·
Registered
396 Posts
Exactly why I no longer own a Springfield Armory XD40:unhappy:Scotchman!! I have had 380-40-357 and the 9 just seems to work in any and all situations.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I carry a SCCY 9mm. Have Ruger SR9c, G27, and a Springfield 1911 Champion also for CCW. The SCCY serves it's purpose, it is lightweight and reliable. I shoot 50 rounds a weekend to practice with it. It's small enough that you hit the 100 round mark and your hand is feeling it.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I also have the SCCY (CPX1 gen1) . You change out your recoil rod assy for the new one , using the Kel Tec P11 one, or have had no problems with the original set yet?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am thinking of getting a .40S&W myself but little hesitant. I already have a glock 19 and a 1911 (.45). Maybe i should stay with the 9mm.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I carry SCCY products, I have the Gen 2 CPX2. great gun at a decent price, one of my female clients want SCCY to make a pink frame version. I forwarded her request to them but in the meantime she bought one of the CPX 2's from me.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I have a glock 23 and I love the frame size, that being said I'm a 9mm guy and a conversion barrel is in it more often than not.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
What scotchman said. BUT, you won't be in the hole if you do go 40. Personally I like the 9, but I like the 45 as much. I have no love for the 40. As far as specific gun, thats like asking which hottie to pick up at the night club, which beer to pick at Consumers, Which cigar to buy while in Cuba, which car to buy, etc...

·
Registered
261 Posts
The 40 allows you to shoot heavier bullets & reach higher energies (about 25% if you compare Speer 124 +p 9mm to Speer 155 .40). I don't find .40 to be any harder to control than 9mm. Sure, it may be a little snappier, but no big deal. Go for it if thats what you're interested in. HOWEVER... as suggested above, maybe you should check out the G29:D

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
OK, I buy the 9mm in modern rounds is just as effective if not more accurate than the .40... however if given the choice, I'd opt not to be on the receiving end of a .40, lol. Who really cares anyway about sub MOA unless your punching paper anyway? I'll stick with the G23. No worries there... I do want to find a 9mm that my wife is comfortable with, lol...

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
+ 1 on the Glock 23.
Easy to carry and packs a good punch. Might need to get used to the snappines of the 40 caliber. It is harder than the 9mm.
They say the generation 4 helps but I didn't see any substantial difference. Might need to try some lighter ammo. I broke my hand in many places so It hurts with heavy loads.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts