New York Firearms Forum banner

.40 rem 180 FMJ reload

Tags
180 fmj reload rem
1K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  GeneseeCC 
#1 ·
New to reloading and have Remington .40 S&W 180 grain FMJ bullets and having a hard time finding reloading data. Reloading for a Glock 23 on a Lee Loadmaster.

#2 ·
We need to know what type of powder you are using, otherwise, you will get a whole bunch of suggestions that won't be useful to you.

Do you have a reloading manual? Any good manual will have that data in it.

#3 ·
First - do you have a reloading manual? Or more than one? That is the first place you should look for loading data. I think reloading manuals are the most important of all reloading tools. If you don't have one, I'd suggest you stop reloading until you get one.

What kind of powder are you using?

Try using the Hodgdon Reloading Data Center:

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Lots of good info on that site for Hodgdon, IMR, and Winchester powders.

Since you're loading for a .40 S&W, and you're loading for a Glock 23, I'd suggest loading well below max. A reloading manual or that website will tell you the powder weight range for the powder you're using with that weight of bullet. Start at the minimum and slowly work your way up - but stay below max in your Glock. The chamber doesn't fully support the case in a G23.

Or you can do what I did with my G23 - I put a KKM Precision barrel in it to replace the factory barrel. Now I can shoot lead through it as well, and the chamber noticeably supports the case better - no bulges or kabooms for me!

#4 ·
I have IMR SR4756 and have not reloaded anything yet. Realized IMR does not have the data I am looking for on the bullets I purchased. Noobie mistake. Looking to get a reloading manual now. Found my local dealer has some Hornady bullets so I think I will start with them since I can find data for loading them. It will be some time before I start cranking out anything since I have a lot to research and don't want to F^&* up. My stock of factory loads are getting low and I don't want to pay these new prices. Good advice on the barrel for the G23. Any web links or suggestions for a noob will help. Thanks for the replies.

#7 ·
I just found the data on IMR's website for 180gr fmj. You should also find some useful info on the Brian Enos forums. You REALLY really need to get yourself a manual.

#11 ·
Alliant Unique would be better for a newbie just starting out. Medium burn rate and its pretty bulky so the chance of a double charge is reduced.

#12 ·
In addition to getting a proper few manuals, as stated, make sure you understand what you are doing. I researched for 2 months before I loaded my first cartridge. It is easy, but there is a strict process to follow to be safe.

#14 ·
I was shooting trap this weekend, and there was a 90 year old guy there with us. Over shooting 2-3 rounds with him, he had three shells which made a quiet "pop", and then required him to go get a rod and push the wad out of his barrel.

When I asked him what happened, he said that his wife likes to bother him while he's reloading, and he had forgotten to put a powder charge in those rounds. If that doesn't throw up a huge red flag for you, you probably aren't ready to reload. It would be just as easy to put a double charge in a shell, which will promptly turn your expensive shotgun into a pipe bomb, detonated a foot from your face.

Let's just say I kept my distance from him after that.

#15 ·
The only time someone is with me when I reload is when I am teaching them how to reload.

#16 ·
Thanks guys for the input. Picked up many reloading manuals and talked to some local gun stores (Batavia Marine) about what I was doing and realized I had the misguided input that I needed exact bullet data vs. the weight of it for reloading. Have loaded some and have a better feel for what to be on the look out for. FUAC. I will buy all my ammo and supplies out of state (no NYS tax) from now on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.